Early thoughts on coach of the year

saulan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
I saw the fun being had in the Dan Carter 11 year thread and I saw a topic that actually interested me pop up and thought I would segregate it from the other conversations (seriously though, best performance was Ruan Pienaar vs Japan in last years World Cup :p)

I know it's still early in the SH calendar year but I think it's pretty clear cut that it has to go to Eddie Jones. He has turned the English team into grand slam and 6 nations champions and then followed up with whitewashing Australia away. That's just impressive on its own, but to do that following England crashing out of their own World Cup and certain low morale is something special.

The only competition will be from Hanson, it's a pity they won't play each other this year because that may have decided it. I don't think that anything The All Blacks achieve this year will overshadow Jones' success, unless England collapse in the eoyt and the All Blacks go undefeated throughout the year.

thoughts?

Jones. Easy. Hansen is obviously a very good coach, but he has a much more talented selection of players to choose from and so how question how much the ABs success is really down to him.

Jones has turned a team that didn't get to the knock out stages of their own World Cup into a team that is 2nd in the world. He's brought the best out of every player in the squad. I seriously doubt anyone can really object to Jones being the best coach in the world ATM.

It's always hard judging just how good the ABs coaches are because it's hard to improve on being the most dominant side in the world.
Maintaining that, along with living up to the expectations, does take a strong will and a skilled coach, obviously, though.

I'd go with Jones because of ridiculous turnaround in fortunes that the England side has seen, under him.

Undoubtedly Jones at this stage. I think Hansen can only really top him if we go undefeated this season, break some previous records and put on some huge scores.

What Jones has done with England in little over half a year is staggering. They were knocked out off their own RWC 9-10 months ago in the pool stage!!! And look what he's gone on to achieve.

I honestly believe England will finish this season undefeated as well.

Yup Hansen basically has to slam the Rugby Championship and go undefeated in the AI's even then I'm unsure if his achievements can be considered better and England will likely have to badly in the AI's in 2 or more matches for Jones to not even be in the running.

Latest posts