• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Eddie Jones replaces Dave Rennie as Wallabies coach

Scott Robertson to NZ, Jamie Joseph to Scotland and Rennie to Japan. That could complete the merry go round.

I have a hunch that Wales under Gatland might surprise Aus at the RWC. Gatland v Jones certainly has some spice to it.
Surely Rennie to Scotland would make more sense. I'd be happy with him at Wales to be honest, Gatland is meant be going into a DoR role soon after the WC so I think we will be in the market again.

Surely Rennie to Scotland would make more sense. I'd be happy with him at Wales to be honest, Gatland is meant be going into a DoR role soon after the WC so I think we will be in the market again.

You might know better than me but I recall reading that Wales interviewed both Pivac and Rennie for the HC role before Gatland's first spell ended and obviously ended up going with Pivac. The SRU granted permission for the WRU to interview Rennie which made me think that they weren't exactly bending over backwards to keep him within Scottish rugby. His spell at Glasgow was ok but probably nothing more (he inherited a very good set up from Townsend). TBH, Franco Smith is probably doing a better job now albeit it is relatively early into his tenure. He has completely turned Glasgow around since Danny Wilson was sacked.

You might know better than me but I recall reading that Wales interviewed both Pivac and Rennie for the HC role before Gatland's first spell ended and obviously ended up going with Pivac. The SRU granted permission for the WRU to interview Rennie which made me think that they weren't exactly bending over backwards to keep him within Scottish rugby. His spell at Glasgow was ok but probably nothing more (he inherited a very good set up from Townsend). TBH, Franco Smith is probably doing a better job now albeit it is relatively early into his tenure. He has completely turned Glasgow around since Danny Wilson was sacked.
Yeah I hadn't heard that but wouldn't be surprised. I think he did a good job with Glasgow but as with all these things a lot of people will be split between did he do well or was it the foundations laid prior to his appointment thst was key as you said.

Will be the same if England win the WC. You'll have people hailing Borthwick as the greatest coach ever and others who'll say if was all down to Eddies work in the buildup.

I think he's a good coach, but not sure what top jobs are available other than Scotland and I'm only saying that because it appears Townsend is making people aware he's going to be available. To be honest it's about time Townsend moved on, if I was Scottish I would've wanted him out a couple of years ago.

Yeah I hadn't heard that but wouldn't be surprised. I think he did a good job with Glasgow but as with all these things a lot of people will be split between did he do well or was it the foundations laid prior to his appointment thst was key as you said.

Will be the same if England win the WC. You'll have people hailing Borthwick as the greatest coach ever and others who'll say if was all down to Eddies work in the buildup.

I think he's a good coach, but not sure what top jobs are available other than Scotland and I'm only saying that because it appears Townsend is making people aware he's going to be available. To be honest it's about time Townsend moved on, if I was Scottish I would've wanted him out a couple of years ago.

Townsend is being quite canny IMO. He's trying to lock in a new role before his stock goes down after another RWC group exit. I'd love Robertson but the fact that Aus couldn't get him tells me he's set for the AB's. Jamie Joseph has done very well with Japan and I think he could be up for a new challenge post RWC. I think he could do well for us if he's interested. Rennie is a very good coach and I'm sure he won't be struggling to find a new HC role.

Townsend is being quite canny IMO. He's trying to lock in a new role before his stock goes down after another RWC group exit. I'd love Robertson but the fact that Aus couldn't get him tells me he's set for the AB's. Jamie Joseph has done very well with Japan and I think he could be up for a new challenge post RWC. I think he could do well for us if he's interested. Rennie is a very good coach and I'm sure he won't be struggling to find a new HC role.
Yeah I think you're right to be honest. Looks like he's being lined up for the AB job. Shame.

I'd be happy with Joseph too so would be a good appointment for Scotland as well. They'll definitely be some movement after the WC. I hope NZ win it and keep Foster.

one of the reasons Rennie left Glasgow was to be closer to his family

Don't think he'll win the world cup but Australia will definitely be more to be messed with than before will likely get a group stage win and get the SF. Just glad most likely scenario is we'd see him in the final and honestly making him lose again would sweet for the last 3 years.
Just hope Farrell hasn't used up his lifetime supply of 'drop goal to win with last kick of match when shouldn't still be on the pitch anyways'.

Or maybe that's best left for 27 in Aus so Jones can have complete 03 deja vu.

Maybe harsh on Rennie but potentially a very good appointment by Aus - right man for the situation in hand and instinctively gets the culture (not that any Wallabies will come from public schools….).

What Jones does / does not achieve with Aus though has no bearing on whether the decision to sack him from Eng was right. His time with us had run its course.

Just hope Farrell hasn't used up his lifetime supply of 'drop goal to win with last kick of match when shouldn't still be on the pitch anyways'.

Or maybe that's best left for 27 in Aus so Jones can have complete 03 deja vu.

Maybe harsh on Rennie but potentially a very good appointment by Aus - right man for the situation in hand and instinctively gets the culture (not that any Wallabies will come from public schools….).

What Jones does / does not achieve with Aus though has no bearing on whether the decision to sack him from Eng was right. His time with us had run its course.

I mean that's debatable.
I guess the question might be more was Borthwick the right call depending on how well England do in the RWC.

Definitely feel for Rennie. Felt he was building well. I think it's purely reactionary to the Italy loss and Jones being available. If England don't sack Jones then they stick with Rennie.

I think Rennie had underperformed a bit given the big improvment in the SR sides, but this is beyond harsh less than a year out from the RWC. He was up against an improved Pumas, an ABs who are still arguably a top5 side and what we have now seen to be a still strong Boks (although they went up about 4 gears in the EOYTs compared to TRC).

I also didn't think Rennie did all that great at Glasgow. I think his stock is on a downward trajectory since the Chiefs (where he was flat out amazing in my opinion). Hard to see what is next for him. He deserves a SR side as a minimum although I see he is only 3 years younger than EJ, so he could end up jobless if he isnt willing to go to Japan or coach below SR.

I don't expect much from EJ but the Aussies could sleepwalk into a QF if they were coached by a lemming and their draw means anything short of a SF would be an abject failure. So it's a beautiful gig to walk into as arguably even if you are inept you'll still get the knockouts and retain your dignity.

I see EJ has said he's leaving this role after the RWC regardless of results, four years before the end of his contract

If he doesn't win the whole thing then Rugby Australia will be raging

That's odd. Wonder if he realises he's a better short term option for teams and maybe he enjoys that part of a quick fix rather than a longer term.

Or maybe he realises what a terrible state Aussie rugby is in.

Or maybe he's older and wants an easier life.

He's the gift that keeps on giving headlines anyhow.

Latest posts