• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Eddie's Gone!

A

An Tarbh

Well it's only 3 years too late but the tool is gone, about time. Happy days indeed.

It's on the RTÉ website.

:bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana:

I feel guilty about being so pleased about someone loosing their job
[/b]

Don't feel guilty, he wasn't sacked, he walked away, granted it's probably a case of jumping before being pushed but them's the breaks.

Let's hope he doesn't stab someone else in the back for his next appointment like he did with Gatland. ;)

Let's hope he doesn't stab someone else in the back for his next appointment like he did with Gatland. ;)
[/b]

Well he needs to be in a setup to do that!!!

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Well he needs to be in a setup to do that!!! [/b][/quote]

I'm sure he's got his eye on someones job. Maybe Wales will take him on as a kitman and he can work his way up from there for Part II of Eddie vs Warren.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Well he needs to be in a setup to do that!!! [/b][/quote]

I'm sure he's got his eye on someones job. Maybe Wales will take him on as a kitman and he can work his way up from there for Part II of Eddie vs Warren.
[/b][/quote]

Given his record with Ireland I can't see anyone touching him to be honest, maybe some mediocre premiership club if he's lucky but I doubt even they'd be that stupid.

We could see him end up with the USA Eagles, given the fact that they need a coach, EOS has previously coached over there and he is damaged goods in Europe. Nigel Melville might be able to present Eddie as a sign of the Eagles progresssing in world rugby (although that is just wild speculation).

Good news that EOS is gone; he outstayed his welcome.

First Easterby and now this. To say I am a happy camper is an understatement. With Ireland's best ever team at his disposal, in an era where England were weak for 4 straight years and France were often far from their best he delivered a mere two triple crowns.

Since hiring Southern Hemisphere Coaches is all the rage - may I suggest David Nucifora - Super 14 winning coach and all that jazz.

Since hiring Southern Hemisphere Coaches is all the rage - may I suggest David Nucifora - Super 14 winning coach and all that jazz.
[/b]

No, we need him down here as a backup in case Deans bails before the World Cup... :D

"In addition, I would like to thank the Irish rugby supporters [such as An Tarbh and Munsterman] who have played a huge role [in talking shite about me, and] in driving the team on to some outstanding performances [and some mediocre losses, I mean, who really knew the RWC was in 2007?!!? I assumed it would be 2008] in recent years."
-EOS

Well, now that this chapter is closed, any real speculation at who can take the reigns? I don't get a lot of Irish Media exposure in my distant local, so...let's hear it from you lads closest to the action...Who is good for it, or who would you like to see?

First Easterby and now this. To say I am a happy camper is an understatement. With Ireland's best ever team at his disposal, in an era where England were weak for 4 straight years and France were often far from their best he delivered a mere two triple crowns.
[/b]

Gatland must be laughing his arse off...

an era where England were weak for 4 straight years and France were often far from their best he delivered a mere two triple crowns.[/b]

To be fair he'd have a Grand Slam if the players had been awake in the last few seconds of that Croke Park encounter with France. You can't blame everything on the coach.

Looking forward to seeing Ireland at thier best again next year. ;)

Well he shoulders a hell of a lot of the blame, he appointed the defensive and skills coaches who would have been working on the basics such as tackling and the ability to offload something which was shockingly missing throughout his tenure.

"In addition, I would like to thank the Irish rugby supporters [such as An Tarbh and Munsterman] who have played a huge role [in talking shite about me, and] in driving the team on to some outstanding performances [and some mediocre losses, I mean, who really knew the RWC was in 2007?!!? I assumed it would be 2008] in recent years."
-EOS

Well, now that this chapter is closed, any real speculation at who can take the reigns? I don't get a lot of Irish Media exposure in my distant local, so...let's hear it from you lads closest to the action...Who is good for it, or who would you like to see?
[/b]

If you want to know what the mood is just check out rte.ie or setanta, or any of the Irish newspapers online, that'll keep you in the loop.

As for coaches as long as it's not Judas then I'll be a happy man.

Well, now that this chapter is closed, any real speculation at who can take the reigns? I don't get a lot of Irish Media exposure in my distant local, so...let's hear it from you lads closest to the action...Who is good for it, or who would you like to see? [/b]

The irish press have been speculating about this for the past week to be honest, so Eddie's announcement last night was hardly a surprise. The main candidates being touted are; Declan Kidney, Pat Howard, Wayne Smith, Mike Ruddock, Jake White and John Mitchell.

Personally I'd remove Mike Ruddock and Wayne Smith from the list as not too viable, both are contracted for at elast another two years. Given the other candidates available I dont see them coughing out more cash needlessly, unless they are buying a proven high profile coach.

Declan Kidney SHOULD be given the job. In any other country he would be a shoe in, but you just never know over here. There is a general feeling that a non-irish coach could really shake everything up and get the players on their toes again. Then again Kidney's record for Munster, year in, year out, is pretty special.

You just get the feeling that if White wants it, he'll get it (I dont think he'll want it though). Personally I'm not convinced by him, but I'll accept anything at this stage

Regardless of how Irish rugby is, you would imagine the job would be reasonably attractive. Good players, youth coming through. Not world beaters, but certainly good enough to be competitive. I think thats why the likes of Mitchell and Howard have been mentioned. Whether we can get them to leave their current roles and come back North i'm not so sure.

Thats the core speculation at the moment.

Declan Kidney (hopeflly ) wont take the job because he has a full time commitment to munster

Declan Kidney (hopeflly ) wont take the job because he has a full time commitment to munster
[/b]

He's never had a problem in the past shirking his commitments

Meh, that shift to Munster didnt bother me in the slightest. Dont see why you'd be bothered about it yourself, and cant see how a move that was sanctioned by the IRFU would affect his chances for the top rugby post in Ireland. References to "Judas" etc are a bit extreme fgiven his history with Munster, BUT your right to question what the players may think. Maybe Declan Kidney, at this time, with these players, is not the right man to get the squad ticking again.

On a side point, a good article in the telegraph today about EO'S. Signs off with; "But there were some great days - and brilliant nights - along the way and despite their current disappointment, even anger, Ireland supporters should never forget that. Eddie O'Sullivan put in a massive shift at the coal face on behalf of his country and he goes hugely in credit. He will feel down this morning but when he comes up for air he should hold his head high. "

If you ask me thats a pretty good way to sum it up.

Latest posts