• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Edinburgh and Glasgow during the six nations

Does International Rugby help your country to develop the young talents needed for the next gen?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

scotsfan94

Academy Player
This is probably the most important time of the year for the future and development of Scottish rugby as this is when all the stars are away on international duty for 7 weeks so the youngsters get a chance to shine.

So how do I think Edinburgh and Glasgow will line up in the absence of their stars and who do i think will shine in this period.

Edinburgh;

They will be missing McInally, Cochrane Berghan, McCallum, Gilchrist, Toolis, Watson, Bradburry, Du Preez, Kinghorn, Fowles and Bennett. McCallum, Gilchrist, McInally, Watson, Du Preez, Watson and Kinghorn will all be in around 23 man match day squad so there will be no chance of them being released to play for Edinburgh during the six nations. With the amount of prop and hooker injury I can't see much chance of Cochrane or Berghan being release either. We've got an array of 6 and 8's of test match quality so could see Bradburry feature in a few Edinburgh games over this period. We've also got plenty of scrum halfs around but you feel part of the reason Fowles got brought into the squad was so Sam Hidalgo Clyne could get more minutes so can't seeing him being returned to Edinurgh either.

Available players Edinburgh have;

Front 3;

Ross Ford is currently injured leaving only 22 year old Cameron Fenton and young Fraser Renwick who is still in the academy as their only available Hooker's in their squad. Nel, Dell and Marfo are still all out injured so you would expect Sutherland to start at loosehead with the experienced Tighthead Kevin Bryce starting on the other side.

2nd and Back Row

You would expect former Scotland under 20 stars Callum Hunter Hill, 20, and Lewis Carmichael, 22, to start with the experienced Fraser McKenzie getting plenty of minutes as well. In the back row you would expect Jamie Ritchie to start at 6. John Hardie could also come back into the fold at 7 however with Richard Cockerill being one to demand respect and discipline from all his players I doubt he will be too happy to return ,someone punished recently for taking cocaine, into the starting-line-up. If Hardie has not shown Cockerill his comitment and remorse I would expect highly rated Luke Crosbie,20, to start at 7 - either way Crosbie will get plenty of minutes over this period. Bradburry will start at 8 should he be released to play for Edinburgh if not capped Fijian Mata will start there.

Backs;

Sam Hidalgo Clyne (still only 24) and Van Der Waalt will start at 9 and 10. In the absence of Bennett Burleigh and 23 year old talent Chris Dean will likely start in the center. As Glen Bryce is the only alternative fullback to Kinghorn I know of and Darcy Graham has plenty of experience playing 15 for Scotland under 20's I would expect Graham to start at 15 with Hoyland, Van Der Mewe and Fife likely to rotate the wing positions over the next 7 weeks.

Best/likely Edinburgh XV during the Six Nations;

1. Sutherland
2. Fenton
3. Bryce
4. Carmichael
5. Hunter-Hill
6. Rirchie
7. Crosbie
8. Bradburry/Mate
9. Hidalgo-Clyne
10. Van Der Waalt
11. Hoyland
12. Dean
13. Burleigh
14. Fife
15. Graham

one's to watch; Carmichael, Hunter-Hill, Ritchie, Crosbie, Graham, Sam Hidalgo Clyne

Glasgow;

Players missing; Turner, Bhatti, Rae, Brown, Fagerson, Gray, Cummings, Harley, Wilson, Price, Pyrgos, P.Horne, Seymour, L.Jones, H.Jones, Dunbar, Hogg, Russell,Grigg, Jackson. For a variety of different reasons some of them already mentioned the only players I can see returning to Glasgow are Grigg, Pyrgos and possibly Lee Jones - although Lee Jones was good in the autumn so if there are a few injuries he may just be needed and Townsend may not want to risk him.

AVailable Players Glasgow have

Front 3;

Only Hookers left in their squad are internationally capped Pat MacArthur, James Malcolm,23, and then Robbie Smith and GrantStewart who have 1 Glasgow app between them. Will probaly be Pat McArthur to start with Malcolm to come on. They've got two internationally capped looseheads in Ryan Grant and Alex Allan so this position shouldn't be a problem. At tighthead they have big 6 foot 3 and 124kg Oli Keeble from South Africa who featured in the same SA U20 side as Dell and plans to become Scottish qualified through the residency rules and young 20 year old Adam Nicol who is 6 foot 1 and a humongous 130 kilos. Was a star at under 20's for Scotland can he do it against the big boys.

2nd and back row

With Swinson and Cunmmings out injured and Jonny Gray on international duty there are limited 2nd row options for Glasgow. Big 6 foot 8 American Greg Peterson, Samoan Alainuesse and Kiran McDonald are the only locks currently available to Glasgow so you can expect plenty of opportunities for some of the most talented academy lock prospects which can only be a good thing for Scottish Rugby. Back row they still have some great options despite Wilson's absence. Ashe, Matt Fagerson, Matt Smith and Vunisa are all quality players and Harley could be released for some guys due to Scotland's back row options but they don't desperately need him. Matt Smith -21- and Matt Fagerson -19- look incredible prospects and it won't be too long before they are pulling on a Scotland jersey. Expect some younger academy prospects to get some minutes from the bench though.

Backs

George Horne you would imagine is nailed on to start at 9. Adam Hastings has gone from being 4th choice fly-half to the most senior fly-half in the squad. He only made 3 starts and 4 sub appearances for Bath and so far for Glasgow has only made 2 starts and 2 sub appearances. At 21 this is his 1st chance to really get some proper 1st team action and with Russell going to France next season this is his chance to make himself Glasgow's 1st choice 10 next season. Not only do Glasgow desperately need this to work but Scottish rugby need this to work. Peter Horne and Laidlaw are not proper fly-half's and Jackson and Weir have had plenty chances for Scotland and not really delivered. If Russell gets injured before a huge match we are screwed. We need proper fly-half cover for Russell heading into the world cup so I hope Adam can deliver.

In the center Richie Vernon is the only senior center left in the squad so you would hope he is fit to lead the way and be the experienced helping hand which Sam Yawayawa or whichever academy youngster who gets the opportunity to start will need.

There will be very few fit available players who can play in the back 3 during the international period. Matawalu will probably take one of the wing slots, If Glasgow cannot get Jackson back over the international period Glasgow only have Rory Hughes - who is a good player- who can play at full back. The only other senior back 3 player Glasgow have is New Zealander Masaga so Robbie Nairn will get his chance and play plenty of minutes this spring. During Scotland Under 20's most successful period where they finished 5th in the world cup Darcy Graham and Robbie Nairn formed a formidable partnership on the wings with Nairn scoring 5 tries from 10 apps in 2017 and Graham 7 from 10. Graham is your Shane Williams small diminutive but very quick kind of Winger whereas Nairn a 6 foot 4 lad weighing 100 kilos plus is your strong physichal yet still quick winger and I have high hopes that with their different styles they will be able to form a strong partnership together at the highest level.

Glasgow Best XV during Six Nations:

1. Allan
2. MacArthur
3. Nicol/Keeble
4. Peterson
5. McDonald
6. Fagerson
7. Matt Smith
8. Adam Ashe
9. George Horne
10. Adam Hasting
11. Robbie Nairn
12. Vernon
13. Yawayawa
14. Matawalu
15. Hughes

One's to watch: Nicol, Keeble, Fagerson, Matt Smith, Nairn, Yawayawa

This is probably the most important time of the year for the future and development of Scottish rugby as this is when all the stars are away on international duty for 7 weeks so the youngsters get a chance to shine.

So how do I think Edinburgh and Glasgow will line up in the absence of their stars and who do i think will shine in this period.

Edinburgh;

They will be missing McInally, Cochrane Berghan, McCallum, Gilchrist, Toolis, Watson, Bradburry, Du Preez, Kinghorn, Fowles and Bennett. McCallum, Gilchrist, McInally, Watson, Du Preez, Watson and Kinghorn will all be in around 23 man match day squad so there will be no chance of them being released to play for Edinburgh during the six nations. With the amount of prop and hooker injury I can't see much chance of Cochrane or Berghan being release either. We've got an array of 6 and 8's of test match quality so could see Bradburry feature in a few Edinburgh games over this period. We've also got plenty of scrum halfs around but you feel part of the reason Fowles got brought into the squad was so Sam Hidalgo Clyne could get more minutes so can't seeing him being returned to Edinurgh either.

Available players Edinburgh have;

Front 3;

Ross Ford is currently injured leaving only 22 year old Cameron Fenton and young Fraser Renwick who is still in the academy as their only available Hooker's in their squad. Nel, Dell and Marfo are still all out injured so you would expect Sutherland to start at loosehead with the experienced Tighthead Kevin Bryce starting on the other side.

2nd and Back Row

You would expect former Scotland under 20 stars Callum Hunter Hill, 20, and Lewis Carmichael, 22, to start with the experienced Fraser McKenzie getting plenty of minutes as well. In the back row you would expect Jamie Ritchie to start at 6. John Hardie could also come back into the fold at 7 however with Richard Cockerill being one to demand respect and discipline from all his players I doubt he will be too happy to return ,someone punished recently for taking cocaine, into the starting-line-up. If Hardie has not shown Cockerill his comitment and remorse I would expect highly rated Luke Crosbie,20, to start at 7 - either way Crosbie will get plenty of minutes over this period. Bradburry will start at 8 should he be released to play for Edinburgh if not capped Fijian Mata will start there.

Backs;

Sam Hidalgo Clyne (still only 24) and Van Der Waalt will start at 9 and 10. In the absence of Bennett Burleigh and 23 year old talent Chris Dean will likely start in the center. As Glen Bryce is the only alternative fullback to Kinghorn I know of and Darcy Graham has plenty of experience playing 15 for Scotland under 20's I would expect Graham to start at 15 with Hoyland, Van Der Mewe and Fife likely to rotate the wing positions over the next 7 weeks.

Best/likely Edinburgh XV during the Six Nations;

1. Sutherland
2. Fenton
3. Bryce
4. Carmichael
5. Hunter-Hill
6. Rirchie
7. Crosbie
8. Bradburry/Mate
9. Hidalgo-Clyne
10. Van Der Waalt
11. Hoyland
12. Dean
13. Burleigh
14. Fife
15. Graham

one's to watch; Carmichael, Hunter-Hill, Ritchie, Crosbie, Graham, Sam Hidalgo Clyne

Glasgow;

Players missing; Turner, Bhatti, Rae, Brown, Fagerson, Gray, Cummings, Harley, Wilson, Price, Pyrgos, P.Horne, Seymour, L.Jones, H.Jones, Dunbar, Hogg, Russell,Grigg, Jackson. For a variety of different reasons some of them already mentioned the only players I can see returning to Glasgow are Grigg, Pyrgos and possibly Lee Jones - although Lee Jones was good in the autumn so if there are a few injuries he may just be needed and Townsend may not want to risk him.

AVailable Players Glasgow have

Front 3;

Only Hookers left in their squad are internationally capped Pat MacArthur, James Malcolm,23, and then Robbie Smith and GrantStewart who have 1 Glasgow app between them. Will probaly be Pat McArthur to start with Malcolm to come on. They've got two internationally capped looseheads in Ryan Grant and Alex Allan so this position shouldn't be a problem. At tighthead they have big 6 foot 3 and 124kg Oli Keeble from South Africa who featured in the same SA U20 side as Dell and plans to become Scottish qualified through the residency rules and young 20 year old Adam Nicol who is 6 foot 1 and a humongous 130 kilos. Was a star at under 20's for Scotland can he do it against the big boys.

2nd and back row

With Swinson and Cunmmings out injured and Jonny Gray on international duty there are limited 2nd row options for Glasgow. Big 6 foot 8 American Greg Peterson, Samoan Alainuesse and Kiran McDonald are the only locks currently available to Glasgow so you can expect plenty of opportunities for some of the most talented academy lock prospects which can only be a good thing for Scottish Rugby. Back row they still have some great options despite Wilson's absence. Ashe, Matt Fagerson, Matt Smith and Vunisa are all quality players and Harley could be released for some guys due to Scotland's back row options but they don't desperately need him. Matt Smith -21- and Matt Fagerson -19- look incredible prospects and it won't be too long before they are pulling on a Scotland jersey. Expect some younger academy prospects to get some minutes from the bench though.

Backs

George Horne you would imagine is nailed on to start at 9. Adam Hastings has gone from being 4th choice fly-half to the most senior fly-half in the squad. He only made 3 starts and 4 sub appearances for Bath and so far for Glasgow has only made 2 starts and 2 sub appearances. At 21 this is his 1st chance to really get some proper 1st team action and with Russell going to France next season this is his chance to make himself Glasgow's 1st choice 10 next season. Not only do Glasgow desperately need this to work but Scottish rugby need this to work. Peter Horne and Laidlaw are not proper fly-half's and Jackson and Weir have had plenty chances for Scotland and not really delivered. If Russell gets injured before a huge match we are screwed. We need proper fly-half cover for Russell heading into the world cup so I hope Adam can deliver.

In the center Richie Vernon is the only senior center left in the squad so you would hope he is fit to lead the way and be the experienced helping hand which Sam Yawayawa or whichever academy youngster who gets the opportunity to start will need.

There will be very few fit available players who can play in the back 3 during the international period. Matawalu will probably take one of the wing slots, If Glasgow cannot get Jackson back over the international period Glasgow only have Rory Hughes - who is a good player- who can play at full back. The only other senior back 3 player Glasgow have is New Zealander Masaga so Robbie Nairn will get his chance and play plenty of minutes this spring. During Scotland Under 20's most successful period where they finished 5th in the world cup Darcy Graham and Robbie Nairn formed a formidable partnership on the wings with Nairn scoring 5 tries from 10 apps in 2017 and Graham 7 from 10. Graham is your Shane Williams small diminutive but very quick kind of Winger whereas Nairn a 6 foot 4 lad weighing 100 kilos plus is your strong physichal yet still quick winger and I have high hopes that with their different styles they will be able to form a strong partnership together at the highest level.

Glasgow Best XV during Six Nations:

1. Allan
2. MacArthur
3. Nicol/Keeble
4. Peterson
5. McDonald
6. Fagerson
7. Matt Smith
8. Adam Ashe
9. George Horne
10. Adam Hasting
11. Robbie Nairn
12. Vernon
13. Yawayawa
14. Matawalu
15. Hughes

One's to watch: Nicol, Keeble, Fagerson, Matt Smith, Nairn, Yawayawa

The Edinburgh backs look strong enough to hopefully be semi competitive. With Glasgow having Hasting they might not drop off the cliff as much as I expected either. Extremely promising halfback pairing in prospect for Glasgow.

Latest posts