• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Edinburgh resign Paterson

A

An Tarbh

Paterson to return to Edinburgh

Paterson returns to Edinburgh after just one year at Gloucester

Chris Paterson will leave Gloucester at the end of the season to return to Edinburgh after just one season with the Guinness Premiership side.

The 30-year-old, who has been capped 86 times by Scotland, has been restricted to 17 appearances this season after his summer move south of the border.

"I feel as if my one year at Gloucester has made me a more knowledgeable player," said Paterson.

"I have learned so much and have been fortunate to work with good coaches."

He added: "The environment at Gloucester has been terrific for me and I have learned a lot

"I think when I've been on the field I've performed pretty well."

The versatile back scored four penalties as Scotland beat England in this year's Six Nations and he also had 100% kicking record at last year's World Cup, but he has failed to make an impact at Kingsholm.

"Chris has been an outstanding professional both on and off the field since joining us after the World Cup and we wish him every success with this move," said Gloucester's head coach Dean Ryan.

"Though his starting opportunities have been limited, his dedication and versatility have been very influential within the squad."

Edinburgh head coach Andy Robinson is delighted to have secured Paterson's services for next season and added: "We want to compete at the highest level and to achieve that objective we have to have a world-class goal kicker.

"Unquestionably Mossy (as Chris is known) is a world-class goal kicker.

"We're signing him to compete for a place in two positions - full-back and stand-off.

"Having spoken with him I've been struck by his real desire to play for Edinburgh and with a player of his status available it increases our options to rotate our squad."

BBC Sport

Edinburgh also added Jim Hamilton, a Scotland international 2nd row, yesterday. After the turmoil of last season they seem to be turning a corner under Andy Robinson. Hamilton and Paterson are two great additions to their squad - while neither player is world class, both are better than what's presently available to Edinburgh.

But how much of this is the SRU wanting Scottish players under central control?

No doubt Paterson wants to be playing rugby week in, week out, and he'll probably be given that at Edinburgh. But as Robbo said, he was brought in as a full back and as a stand off. Now that means Godman or Southwell will have to give way and both have been excellent this year, so did we really need him back? I mean, don't get me wrong, he's a class player and I'm glad he is, but was there really room?

Hamilton has been on the cards for a while now, and so it's not a surprise. Gissing and Mustchin are excellent for us, but I suppose it generate competition.

But we really do need to keep the young players like De Luca, Cairns, Turnbull etc coming through and give them regular game time. Also, I'd want to see a couple of experienced foreigners or retired internationals to help bring through the youth, and to tide us over during the international periods.

Great news for all Gloucester fans as the news we have all been waiting for has arrived. Chris Patterson is going back to Edinburgh where he belongs. I feel cheated with his displays this season as I have always thought he was a decent player who was one of the best place kickers in the world. The longer the season has gone on the worse he has got and the more easy kicks he has missed. Is he a 10? NO! Is he a winger? NO! Is he a fullback? NO! Pattersons problem is he has no position to call his own so ends up on the bench as cover. Good luck Chris you`ve had a good pay day and experienced life in an exciting and cosmopolitan city so now please f*** off and dont come back.

To be fair...He had a good game (just the one) off the bench in the mud away at Bath.
Not sure however why Gloucester signed him in the first place?

To be fair...He had a good game (just the one) off the bench in the mud away at Bath.
[/b]
As a world class place kicker to nail them in the big games, but it hasnt happend. Also, I know he`s not the biggest guy but he looks so weak and really struggles to retain the ball in contact and that is his biggest flaw as a player.

Good luck Chris you`ve had a good pay day and experienced life in an exciting and cosmopolitan city so now please f*** off and dont come back. [/b]

An exciting and cosmopolitan city. As opposed to Edinburgh???

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
As a world class place kicker to nail them in the big games, but it hasnt happend. Also, I know he`s not the biggest guy but he looks so weak and really struggles to retain the ball in contact and that is his biggest flaw as a player.
[/b][/quote]

Your right, Paterson lacks any sort of physicality to brake tackles, always has. Remember though he is pretty old, he used to be very good with the ball in hand but the way Scotland play and his age have combined to make him an average runner.

There isn't much place for Mossy in the Edinburgh side or indeed the international game.
Not with a prime selection of fullbacks and wingers at both's disposal.
Maybe there will be a place for him at fly half at international level, possibly as a second string at club level to give Godman some time on the field, but a first at international to get Godman accustomed to the international game.
I also think he should be a replacement utility back, we need to nurture young talent for the next world cup.
This is all under the assumption that Parks never wears a Scotland strip again, we can only hope.

<div class='quotemain'> Good luck Chris you`ve had a good pay day and experienced life in an exciting and cosmopolitan city so now please f*** off and dont come back. [/b]

[/b][/quote]
It was a joke, but lets be fair Gloucester and Edinburgh are both **** holes. By the way all the Gloucester players live in Cheltenham which is a great place.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Good luck Chris you`ve had a good pay day and experienced life in an exciting and cosmopolitan city so now please f*** off and dont come back. [/b]

[/b][/quote]
It was a joke, but lets be fair Gloucester and Edinburgh are both **** holes. By the way all the Gloucester players live in Cheltenham which is a great place.
[/b][/quote]

:lol: Edinburgh is the most un "shithole" place you could ever visit.

Well to be fair, there are parts of it which you wouldn't want to walk through of an evening. have you ever seen Trainspotting? The movie is set in edinburgh after all.......

As for Patterson, it's a difficult one. I'm sure Edinburgh will find somewheree for him, but as for where he's best at I've no idea. I'm not even sure Patterson knows himself. He's been played in that many different positions for Scotland (without excelling in any) that it's a joke. He has been Scotland's most effective points scorer with his kicking though, and that's why he's been a constant fixture.

I think there are places in every city you wouldn't walk through at night.
As far as Scotland goes, Edinburgh is the place you are the least likely to get mugged or attacked, it's probably Scotland's safest city. You should try living in Dundee, walking through Kirkton, Stobswell or the Hilltown even during the day is sometimes pretty risky.
f*** even some of the better areas, Broughty Ferry or Barnhill can be dangerous.

In short, Edinburgh is the furthest from a shitehole in Scotland you'll find.

As far as Scotland goes, Edinburgh is the place you are the least likely to get mugged or attacked, it's probably Scotland's safest city. You should try living in Dundee, walking through Kirkton, Stobswell or the Hilltown even during the day is sometimes pretty risky.
f*** even some of the better areas, Broughty Ferry or Barnhill can be dangerous.

[/b]
sorry its a lovely place with lots of warm hearted people. There must be 2 edinburgh`s cos the one I go to every other year for the 6 nations rugby is a **** hole outside of the center. :wacko:

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
sorry its a lovely place with lots of warm hearted people. There must be 2 edinburgh`s cos the one I go to every other year for the 6 nations rugby is a **** hole outside of the center. :wacko:
[/b][/quote]

Who knows what goes inside that head of yours Danny :lol:

Well I actually live in Edinburgh so I can probably pass comment with the most merit.

Edinburgh's like every city, has it's good and bad places. Mostly good though.

If you're going to places like Wester Hailles, Pilton, Nidrie and Sighthill for example, then aye...it's an arsehole.

But if you come up to where I stay in Balerno, it's quite nice. Balerno, Currie, Juniper Green, Morningside etc etc are all nice, reasonably affluent areas. That's not to say they're perfect, we've got out share of neds and arseholes but you could do alot worse than Edinburgh.

Aye, Edinburgh has it's bad parts, but compared to other places like Glasgow and Dundee I would say it has the best of the bad areas if you catch my drift.

i think it is good we have chris back as the squad will be a lot more stable when we have injuries but i dont think he could get straight in the xv has godman and southwell had great sesons.

and on the subject of shitholes i would deffenetly say its by far no where near the worst.

Latest posts