• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Eduardo Fined for diving

F

feicarsinn

I'm sure most of you heard about this over the last week or so. Basically Eduardo was awarded a penalty against Celtic when he clearly dived and, while it had little consequence on the eventual outcome, it is one of the most deplorable professional fouls in football. Uefa and the Fa have clamped down on this by fining the player. Now me and my mates were having a discussion about this tonight. Some of them seemed to think he was harsh done by because he was being singled out. It was my opinion however, that the footballing authorities are finally taking the steps needed to stamp this out. Clamping down on this at the start of the new season should at least slightly deter potential divers from taking a tumble. I hope sincerely that Eboue also gets a Fine for his ridiculous dive today against United.

Opinions or Reactions?

great news. Now let's start treating them properly - ie. 3 match suspensions. A fine isn't a harsh punishment for a premiership footballer.

Agreed with GG. It's like fining me 20 cent. Pointless.

Glad to see something happen though. They should be handing out suspensions when they have evidence of blatant dives....especially in and around the box.

too many double standards involved here especially from United fans yesterday, no issue booing Eduardo when he came on but no reaction whatsoever for Rooney who was on his way down before Almunia touched him.

If they're gonna clamp down on diving they have to go after everyone rather than taking an isolated incident every few years. Someone at the SFA is clearly after a UEFA or FIFA top job as it was the Lithuanian player who was done for a dive against Scotland at Hampden.

after 20 some years, finally the top brass in football seem to admit that it is a poison of the game.

So, they have 2 options, like they did with racism.

1) Everyone in officialdom denounces it. The Northern Europeans + France get serious about it and sort it out. The Southern Europeans don't take it seriously and the Eastern Europeans ignore it completely. UEFA/ FIFA gets very cross and hands out fines just to show the Northern Europeans that they are very cross. Fines amount to the kitman's weekly wage.

2) They change the laws so that all top level competitions are subject to appeals taken to a review panel at the appropriate governing body. Clubs may cite incidents in the game (such as monkey chanting, diving etc.) and if proven by video evidence, the player/ club responsible recieves heavy bans. If properly enforced, nasty parts of football cease. Rugby fans can restart their inter-code wars again.

well he's got the predictable 2 match ban, shouldn't make a bit of difference though given how easy Arsenal's group is.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_MbFBy9WtAo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_MbFBy9WtAo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The problem is now is that Eduardo's reputation will be tarnished. He is a talented player who can only improve. Now he is likley to be known as "the diving c***". It's similar to Ronaldo, here was an incredible footballer who should be rememberd for his footballing ability but due to his on-feild antics he is known for them.

both will continue to dive and get away with it as long as there's no games with Scottish teams involved with chief executives looking to further their careers with UEFA or FIFA.

Instead of UEFA and FIFA look at, lets be honest, isolated incidents, in the Premier League, look at Serie A and La Liga. I genuinley get annoyed at these leagues. This is where "simulation" comes from.

Some of the antics going on in Italy and Spain are cringeworthy in the way that the ref's ahndle and get gazzumped by the dives.

Home nations players are as guilty as the rest, it's certainly not a question of just isolated incidents in the Premier League. Look at Rooney on Saturday, was falling before Almunia touched him.

Steven Gerrard's the worst british culprit. He's like a bloody squirrel the amount he does to **** people off and then convince them he's still cuddly.

Yes Gingergenius I completely agree, Gerrard is the most prolific diver in the Prem. Also, like in the Bolton match this weekend, he ran straight into the ref's face when Sean Davies barely even touched Lucas demanding him be sent off. His dive last year against Athletico Madrid in the CL at Anfield was one of the worst I have seen.

IMO on this whole diving subject I think the treatment of Eduardo has been very strange. It seems just because he got away with it that everyone is going mental. Ronaldo, Rooney, Eboue etc all dive and are rewarded penalties or free kicks and have been for years, yet they never got punished. If the authorities decide now that every diving offence will be punished with a 2 match ban as in Eduardo's case, then fair enough. But that will not happen. It simply can't.

Diving, as bad as it is, is part of the game. If a player feels a challenge coming in they will just go down instead of fighting to keep the ball. You can't say that every single player who dives now will get a 2 match ban. Some teams would have no players!

This ruling seems completely inconsistent and contrary to the stance held by the FA before. In Wenger's words it is a "witch hunt".

Setting a dangerous precedent this. I'm all for punishing divers but they need to be consistent. And they won't be. If that wasn't an English team Platini wouldn't have even blinked an eye lid.

I dont really understand why its so difficult to police.

Just release a statement at the start of a season that simulation will be punished by an automatic one match ban (domestic). A citing commission of 3 independent officials will decide whether it was simulation or not, and the bans will apply there and then.

Its simple enough, and while it wouldnt be 100% accurate the message will get out quickly and simulation will begin to be the exception as opposed to the norm.

If they wanted rid of it, they could at least try.

Latest posts