• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Eight try Stormers smash Lions pride

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The Stormers ended their three match losing streak in style on Saturday as they hammered the Lions 56-18 at Newlands picking up the bonus point along the way to scoring their eight tries.

The Lions opened the try scoring and went out to a comfortable lead after scoring two quick tries but then the Stormers managed to find the way and went into half time 23-18 in the lead.

The Stormers opened the second half with a bonus point try in the first minute as Percy Montgomery opened up the Lions defence and sent Gcobani Bobo in for the try.

The Stormers needed a moral boosting win as they have the bye next week but then head off on tour for a five match Australasian tour that sees them crossing the Tasman Sea four times in five weeks.
More to follow.

Final Score Stormers 56 Lions 18

Scorers

Stormers
Tries - Burger, Louw, Bekker 2,Bobo,Naqelevuki, de Villiers,Duvenage
Penalties -de Waal 2
Conversions -de Waal, Grant 4
Drop Goals -

Lions
Tries -Louis Ludik,Henno Mentz
Penalties -Andre Pretorius 2
Conversions -Andre Pretorius
Drop Goals -
Cards - Yellow (28)Jano Vermaak

Man of the match : Schalk Burger

Venue: Newlands, Cape Town
Kick-off: Sat 14 March, 5pm (local),
Referee: Craig Joubert (SA)
Ass. Refs: Phillip Bosch (SA), Jaco Peyper (SA)
Assessor: Shaun Veldsman (SA)
Assessor: Glenn Wahlstrom (NZ)

Teams

Stormers

Percy Montgomery; Nick Koster, Gcobani Bobo, Jean de Villiers (captain), Sireli Naqelevuki; Willem de Waal, Ricky Januarie; Luke Watson, Danie Vermeulen, Schalk Burger, Andries Bekker, Adriaan Fondse, Brian Mujati, Schalk Brits, Wicus Blaauw.

Reserves: Deon Fourie, JD Moller, AJ Venter, Francois Louw, Dewaldt Duvenage, Tonderai Chavhanga and Peter Grant.

Lions

15. Louis Ludik, 14. Ashwin Willemse, 13. Jaque Fourie (V/C), 12. Barry Goodes, 11. Henno Mentz, 10. Andre Pretorius, 9. Jano Vermaak, 8. Willem Alberts, 7. Franco van der Merwe, 6. Cobus Grobbelaar (Capt), 5. Anton van Zyl, 4. Jannes Labuschagne, 3. Lawrence Sephaka, 2. Willie Wepener, 1. Heinke van der Merwe
Reserves: 16. Hans van Dyk, 17. Gert Muller, 18. Gerhardt Mostert, 19. Todd Clever , 20. Chris Jonck, 21. Earl Rose, 22. Shandre Frolick.[/b]
Super Rugby

What a great, GREAT game by the Stormers :bravo:

Burger had an absolute stormer (pun intended) of a game. :D

I just hope that the Stormers can carry this sort of form with them on the road when they go touring down-under and also that Chavhanga and Koster will be up and running soon :)

great game to watch even though it was 2:00am here in australia, stormers we're brilliant, burger had the best game ive seen for so long... good for them before their australasian tour, close in the start but far out as soon as burger scored that amazing try, the stormers were so dominant haha unlucky for the lions but i never thought they were gonna win :p

That was more like it B)

Tight game in the first half but once the Stormers opened up it was great to watch, passes were sticking, a ridiculous decision stopped De Waal scoring despite the pass being a yard backwards and JDV was unlucky at the end. Much better though, the 4th playoff spot is still very much up for grabs.

If only the Stormers can score more tries from set play like that one from Sireli Naqelevuki...Watch out Australasia!

Woohoo, that's what I'm talking about dammit !

Rassie didn't sound too hopeful on Chavanga and Koster after the game, so I'm not sure but they might not even play during the tour. Let's hope we have some good backups in the winger positions.

I hope Schalk keeps the quality up for the tour, I'm sure he will though.
The ref made some mind numbingly aweful calls here and there, for both sides. The lions would have had a clear try from Frolics (sp?) when he tapped that ball back in play in the air, and the De Waal try was just that, a clear try, with absolutely nothing wrong with it whatsoever, it's like the ref had forgotten which way the Stormers were playing for a second and just thought that brilliant little ofload from Schalk must have been forward.

I havn't seen the Stormers pull off so many moves and stick so many passes since last year, so after the dissapointment of the first 4 games and even the first 20 minutes of this one I am well happy to see they can still strut their stuff.

Latest posts