• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Election Campaign - Vote of No Confidence

Should a Vote of Confidence be on the poll sheet?

• Yes and I would choose it

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Yes but it would not be my choice

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Don't Know/Don't Care

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
In recent years there has been a call for an option on the Poll sheet to have the option for a Vote of No Confidence... But obviously this is something that would not be achieved as it would under mine the political structure. However in a True Democracy you should have the right to say you have no confidence in the parties standing.

So would you like to see the option and would you vote it?

I wouldn't support this option because in the current system, the 'vote of no confidence' is shown by the massive number of people who don't bother to vote.

What I would do is make voting cumpulsory, and add an Abstention box on to the ballot paper. This way, the people who are too lazy to vote would be forced, while those not voting out of protest would still be able to abstain. Of course this will never happen because it would take some enforcing.

Actually a Vote of No Confidence now is not shown by the mass of people not voting, yes a proportion is, but actually there is funnily enough a large proportion who are too lazy to vote... However people who currently vote may want to voice their opinion, but with no option for no confidence they vote for the party nearest to their views...

If everyone wasn't to vote we would end up with a country which would lose its democratic right, and become a dictatorship... with the party currently in power never losing their control.

The objective of a vote of no confidence is to make dissolution of parliament or force another General Election. The idea behind this being the parties involved in the general election would have to re-think their strategy or manifesto's for what the public want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_of_no_confidence

This would give the right of who we have in power or the forming of government power back to the people.

Making voting mandatory would cause us to become a dictatorship, everyone is given the right to vote, but it is a human choice to choose if they agree with it. Forcing people to vote is a ridiculous method, as I said previously people are lazy and some don't care if they vote or not... Where as some people vote for second best, when really they should be given the option on the ballot paper to say actually I don't believe any of these people are good enough...

Ah but I'm not sure what the public wants is very good at all. Look at what's popular in this country, from all the options the public have available to them, and they nearly always make a shitty choice. X Factor, the Sun, Football, Lady Gaga... I could go on.

"This is the trouble with the public, they're ******* horrible" - Peter Mannion MP, The Thick of It

Last edited:
That's a very Fascist view...

Who cares its a public choice, we are a democracy, you can't devalue someone's right to vote like that... We may as well be a dictatorship in your world... so there would be no need for an election!

If the vote of no confidence was the highest one, what would happen to the government?
You mentioned there being another election, but would whoever was in charge at the time stay on until then? So in effect, a vote of no confidence would just re-elect whomever was in charge for a few more months, until the next vote was done?

As is often said, it doesn't matter who you vote for; It's always the government who gets in.

That's a very Fascist view...

Who cares its a public choice, we are a democracy, you can't devalue someone's right to vote like that... We may as well be a dictatorship in your world... so there would be no need for an election!

I can't help the fact that I don't agree with/ like what the public say. I personally think a Dictatorship run by me would be great, but there'd be about 60 million people who would hate that so, in my opinion, the next best option after General Colonel Fuhrer GingerGenius is a Democracy, which is great. This doesn't change the fact that the public collectively tend to make knee-jerk and stupid decisions that they don't think through properly and are highly influenced by 'style' and 'PR' and what their mates think.

I voted that a vote of no confidence should be on the sheet, although I wouldn't be my choice. I think it's important to get the views of everyone who wants to vote. Of course people could always vote for the raving looney party, which imo is exactly what they there for. The raving looney party is a party set-up to give people that option of saying 'no, I don't agree with all the other party's policies'. If they ended up with the majority of votes, it's not as if they could actually hold power, as they haven't got the means. So it would basically force another general election, exactly what you're asking for getofmeland, isn't it?

Unfortunately, people think they wouldn't be making a difference if they voted for such a party, whilst the people who don't care if they're making a difference just don't bother voting in the first place. I'd possibly vote for the raving loonies if I wasn't voting at home with a postal vote.

Last edited:

Latest posts