Elsom to stay

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/...4243552497.html

GERRY THORNLEY
RUGBY TRANSFER NEWS: FOLLOWING THE news of Felipe Contepomi's departure at the end of the season and that Leinster are again pursuing Eoin Reddan, the province's supporters will be encouraged to learn that Rocky Elsom looks set to extend his stay for another year and Irish A tight-head Mike Ross may well be joining from Harelquins.

Elsom has probably been Leinster's player of the season, regularly putting in barnstorming displays at blindside flanker or at number eight when Jamie Heaslip has been on Test duty.

It had been feared the 26-year-old, 40-times capped Wallaby would return at the end of the season to pursue his stated ambition of regaining his place in the Australian team well in advance of the 2011 World Cup, and had looked into the possibility of playing for Australia this summer.

That is unlikely to happen, and while the negotiations are still to be finalised, Elsom is now intent on taking up the optional second year on his contract before returning to Australia.

The 29-year-old Ross, formerly with Cork Constitution and Munster, has been lined up by Leinster to bolster their scrum in what may also be a beneficial move for the tight-head vis-à-vis breaking into the Irish squad. He has won eight caps with the Irish As, playing in the last two Churchill Cups, and is highly durable, having played 78 games for Harlequins in the last three seasons, including all six of their Heineken Cup games and all but two of their 18 Premiership games this season.[/b]

Excellent news.

excellent news indeed, losing both Contepomi and Elsom would have been a huge blow, this softens it somewhat but would be extremely pleased if the Ross signing could be pulled off.

Gerry Thornley and Peter O'Reilly seem to be the two journalists most in the know with regards rugby here. The fact that Thornley reported this above, say, David Kelly means to be there must be something behind it rather than a journalist just flying a kite.

Won what battle? Is he staying or going?

I'm a huge fan as he's been simply fantastic since he arrived. None of this mercenary salary grabbing nonsense, hes been playing good hard rugby all year.

A great signing. A great example of what a lot of the SH imports should be doing but arent.

I'm a Leinster fan so its better than seeing than seeing him there instead of the Waratahs. I still think the Wallabies are going to miss him big time come the Tri Nations.

The plot thickens:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...5015651,00.html

TEST blindside flanker Rocky Elsom's appearance with the Barbarians against the Wallabies in Sydney in June could be put at risk by his Irish province Leinster.

Elsom has been invited to play for the Barbarians against England at Twickenham, and Australia at the Sydney Football Stadium.

But there is a concern Leinster might demand an exorbitant release fee, which could jeopardise Elsom's place in the Barbarians' squad, at least for the Wallabies match.

While Leinster's season would be over by the time of the Barbarians match, it is believed that Elsom's contract would not have yet expired, which is why he would require a release to play for the Barbarians.

Leinster may consider taking a hardline approach if Elsom decides to quit the Irish side to return to play in Australia, which seems highly likely.

The ARU is certainly optimistic Elsom will return.

ARU chief executive John O'Neill, Wallabies' coach Robbie Deans and high performance manager David Nucifora met Elsom in London earlier in the week during the two-day conference on the experimental law variations.

"We had a good discussion with him," Nucifora said yesterday.

"We'd probably like to keep those discussions close to ourselves at the moment.

"There is every chance he could come back. That will come out with time, but we are reasonably positive."

Elsom is expected to sign with NSW or Queensland on his return to Australia.[/b]

Seems very speculative.

"There is every chance he could come back. That will come out with time, but we are reasonably positive."

And that sounds about as reserved as it goes.

At the same time though, I don't know why he wouldn't go back. He should be able to make the Australia team again and it makes little sense to me that he wouldn't want to go back to his home.

Yeah plenty still to be said about this one.

I can only hope he stays, but if he goes, well he'll always be a favourite at the RDS.

he'll earn far more money by staying than he would by going back, given his quality there's no question of his world cup place being under any sort of threat and even if he stays another season he'll still be back in time for the following season's Super 14 and Tri Nations.

The will he stay/won't he stay debate is up there with the will he sign/won't he sign debate of last season. Here's the latest:
http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/si...8830199453.html

THE Australian Rugby Union, reeling from Sam Norton-Knight's decision to play with Cardiff, has another problem brewing: star flanker Rocky Elsom is not expected to return to play in Australia.

Elsom was released early from his ARU contract last year on "compassionate grounds" - believed to be related to financial problems caused by a property deal that went bad - to link with Irish club Leinster for a one-year sabbatical.

But the Test veteran has all but confirmed he will not be returning to the Super 14 next season, as originally outlined in his contract, by deciding to play for the Barbarians against Australia in June.

It is believed an ARU administration oversight might have meant Elsom never signed the contract in question.

The ARU is furious, as there appears to be no chance of retaining the star, who is believed to be earning upwards of $600,000 - double his NSWRU and ARU contracts.

"Rocky was released on compassionate grounds and was committed to coming back to Australia this June to play for the Wallabies and was released on that basis," a source told The Sun-Herald.

"He gave his word that he was going to come back but nothing was actually signed. It was a massive oversight. He was released on a promise.

"Rocky's a pretty complicated bloke and he dragged out negotiations for so long that it [the contract signing] was overlooked. The ARU aren't happy and understandably so, but it's all worked out well for Rocky Elsom. Who's to blame him for taking the massive cash on offer?"

A sensation in Ireland, Elsom has had offers from Leinster and other powerhouse clubs abroad. But the biggest indication the 27-year-old has no intention of returning was his decision to play for the Barbarians against Australia in June.

"The understanding of the agreement was that he was meant to be back playing for the Wallabies in June against the Barbarians, so with that in mind, I can't see him coming back anytime soon," the source said.

"He is already on big money over there and he's been such a hit that he's been offered even more to stay, I'd say. And I understand there are no shortage of clubs in Wales, England, France, Japan and elsewhere, who are in the market for his signature. He's a bloody good rugby player and he has a lot of opportunities to consider.

"They love him over there and he's very close to coach Michael Cheika. I think it's pretty safe to assume he won't be returning to Australia for a while longer, and that wasn't the basis on which the ARU agreed to release him. They're not happy."[/b]

Latest posts