ELV FAQ: the positions of the yes & no camps!

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Prestwick, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

The debate over the ELVs can be pretty confusing. So let BLR & Prestwick help you out with:
    <div align="center">
    Yaay! Yaaay! Woo *clap clap clap*

</span>
    ELV supporters
    </div>[/left] <div align="left">
    • the new rules allow greater variability in game style allowing rugby to evolve into an even more original and appealing game.
    • allot of the new ELVs merely call for existing laws to be more tightly adhered to. Thus, the ELVs are not as radical and life changing than at first glance.
    • the ELVs solve problems such as implementing proper true quick line outs and removing the correct numbers in the line out problem.
    • the scrum has become more important as they occur far more often, and the stats prove this. Already scrum dominance has destroyed opposition teams far more then would have occurred without them.
    • with a bit more ironing out the true purpose of the ELV's will be achieved, taking the subjectivity out of many areas of refereeing.
    • but the ELV's need to be worked on, their are a few things that don't work and a trial in the NH can help refine the laws.
    • Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
    <blockquote>(turn and face the strain)
    Ch-ch-changes
    Dont want to be a richer man
    Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
    (turn and face the strain)
    Ch-ch-changes
    Just gonna have to be a different man
    Time may change me
    But I cant trace time
    </blockquote>
    • This is all a conspiracy by the RFU aided by the WRU and the FFR to consolodate control of the running of the game and veto any changes which they object to.
    • you're an idiot, we're right so shut up, and our trash newspapers prove we're right. You're all just being sticks in the mud and obstacles in the way of progress to improve the game.
    </div>Non-ELV supporters<div align="left">
    • why fix what's not broken? NH rugby has witnessed bumper crowds in 06/07 and 07/08 consistently beating records and generating ever greater revenue. Under the current rules, the Guinness Premiership and France's Top 14 have seen record breaking crowds and multiple sellouts of over 20,000+.
    • nobody has sought the opinion of the likes of Argentina, Georgia, Italy and Romania, all three traditionally based on big, heavy lumbering packs. While they may like the idea of being 5m behind the scrum, the traditional forwards may baulk at being forced to shed weight to become lighter and leaner in order to keep up with the fast running game that the ELVs want to foster.
    • on top of that, the ELVs might be a disaster for grassroots rugby and remove the "exclusively for everyone" tag which it carries in NH nations like Wales, England and France. Under the ELVs, being a 42 year old, overweight prop might be a liability and in the brave new world of the ELVs only those young, fit and light enough to keep up would be selected by grassroots clubs, thus narrowing already slim player bases in some countries.
    • it's an Australian conspiracy to devalue the scrums. Despite the fact the laws itself were formulated by people all around the world, it is the Australian Rugby Union who is pushing the international roll out the most.
    • you're an idiot, we're right so shut up, and our trash newspapers prove we're right. And no we won't try it for just a little while, we didn't develop them, it's our game, I'm taking my ball and leaving!
    </div>​
    <div align="left">
    </div>

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. O'Rothlain

O'Rothlain Guest

MOD Views & opinions: O'Rothlain:

"I just really dislike pulling down the maul. I really, really dislike it."

I've enjoyed this years Super 14 so far, but I like Rugby how it is.

Recent good rule changes have been "Crouch, Touch, Pause, Engage!" That made sense, adds greater safety to the scrummagers and doesn't affect the over-all feel of Rugby. I'm not opposed to modifications, I just think they should be necessary ones...I don't see anything right now other than wanting to push the style of the game in a certain direction. No one is ever going to agree on that. I like a forward heavy game...but hey, I'm a forward. The Aussies don't have (apparently) the best forwards game, and may or may not care for it...so, the average Man From the Land Down Under might prefer the ELV proposed changes. We both like Rugby, but we both want different aspects of it to dominate. So, I say keep it how it is. We'll see what works when the North and the South square off.

That's my two cents, but whatever.

4. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

MOD Views & opinions: Prestwick:

As for the rules themselves, a mixed bag. Some of the rules at the line out are good while others preventing you essentially from making clearance kicks from your 22 don't really work and besides, if we implemented that rule in 2000, we wouldn't have been able to see Jason Robinson attacking from deep which would have been a dreadful shame.

The fact that the unused ELVs that were not chosen for the Super 14 like pulling down mauls and being able to handle in the ruck when on your feet are still theoretically on the table raises suspicions. The iRB and its LPG should make it clear now rather than in 2011 or whatever what ELVs it wants to push and what ELVs it wants to drop. If they want to keep pushing all the ELVs then fine! Just tell us damn it!
    </span>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!