• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Empire's 500 Greatest Movies of All Time.

S

Sir Speedy

Clicky

1. Wow, could they have made that list any harder to get through?
2. :( @ no. 1. How generic!
3. Lol @ The Dark Knight at no. 15. :lol:
4. At least my favourite movie got to the top 5.

How the hell did Lock Stock not make the 500 wheras Indiana Jones - the crap new one did!........... and hairspray wtf.

The only other thing, Shawshank Redemption should be no 1 imo. Other than that, seems pretty good.

these lists are always wack anyway.

art is subjective and personal; you can't make accurate 'general' lists out of it.

Bullshit, The Deer Hunter wasn't even mentioned.

I've never seen the Godfather, so my judgement is reserved :p

Holmes boosts Masters chances
Holmes needs a top-four finish in Florida if he is to have any chance of securing himself a place inside the world's top 50 and an invite to the discount golf equipment first major ishiner of the year and he got off to the best possible start with a six-under-par round of 66.

Two disqualified in Andalucian Open
Playing partners Borja Etchart and Eirik Tage Johansen were disqualified after Thursday's first round of the Andalucian Open - one after being accused discount golf equipment of ishiner wrongly replacing his ball on two greens, the other for not reporting it to officials before signing the scorecard.

Godfather 2 is a better film. These lists are always a bit cack thouugh, for exanple I reckon Jaws has aged awfuly and shoouldn't even be in the top 100.

This list was so poor I was struggling not to yell at my computer. It showed the absoloute "lowest common denominator" approach to rating films. I understand that films are subjective however rating "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" which in my opinion is the greatest film of all time and telling me that Jack Nicholson's "The Shining" was a better film, and you lose all credibility. This list was littered with black and white films in which to be honest was crap. Having seen most of these films, the acting, cinematography, script, direction etc were all poor in comparrison to other films, and yet they got a higher rating because they tried to vary the list and add older movies. I understand that there is bound to be differences of opinion, but Oscar Winning Films and performances are taking second stage to "movies of the week" such as Ratatouille. Here are a few comparisons which made me want to kill the critics.
Good Will Hunting: 433 - Spiderman 2: 411
Rain man: 387 - Ratatouille 379
The Elephant Man: 362 - 300: 337
***anic: 336 - Star Wars Episode 3: 330
Midnight Cowboy: 307 - Mad Max 2: 280
Forrest Gump: 240 - The Bourne Ultimatum: 234
The Exorcist: 206 - School Of Rock: 188
To Kill A Mocking Bird: 180 - Toy Story 2: 179
Memento: 173 - The Princess Bride: 122
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest: 105 - Raising Arizona: 101
American Beauty: 96 - Ferris Bueller's Day Off: 88
A Clockwork Orange: 37 - Terminator 2: 35
Taxi Driver: 17 - The Dark Knight: 15

Anyone else agree with me?

Think this was mentioned before but these lists will cause arguments no matter what as people all have different tastes. For example I think Goodfella's, Scarface (or any Scorecese film) are cruddy and yet some people like them.

I agree with alot you have said nickdnz. I'm not a fan of old films in general, I find the acting (especially accents) poor, whilst the scrips can be a little boring. I know that's something very personal, so I won't comment on their inclusion in this list.

There was alot of dross included in this list, some of which you have mentioned above. I can understand the inclusion of the first Spiderman for example, as it kick started the comic book genre, but there was no need to also include Spiderman 2! I personally loved 300, so agree with it's inclusion (would have had it higher), the stylized nature of it was pure awesome imo. No idea how Forrest Gump wasn't alot higher, and they obviously loved the Bourne trillogy, to have all three in the list (I think), yet only have two Bond films!

I still can't believe that 'Lock Stock' didn't make the list, although grad that 'Layer Cake' did.