• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

End of automatic relegation?

Originally posted by MightyQuin@Feb 17 2006, 11:11 AM
that was no upset - Quins have finished near the bottom for the last 5 years!!!

Not sure about returning to a 14 team premiership though - I would almost prefer to see the premiership and ND1 reduced to only 10 teams in each, with 2 up / 2 down (and 1 down to ND2). This would free up another couple of weeks for players, and also mean less weekends when teams have to field weaker sides due to international call ups.

It would also add to the competitiveness of the ND1 by adding another 2 strong teams, and getting rid of the bottom half who are much weaker. It might also end the fear that being relegated from the premiership would be the end, as it would raise the profile of ND1 - or "premiership 2" as it could become.

oh well - just a thought!
That is a very good idea!

My personal one, as I have posted before, is to increase to 14 teams, but in a Super14 format - so the teams only play each other once. At the end, have the top 4 teams fight it out for the ***le. Also, scrap the wildcard. With the Cup, change the style back to how it used to be - a direct knockout involving the lower teams, with the bigger teams coming in later.

Latest posts