• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

End of season run in.

Scotty

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Exeter
The closing fixtures deserve a thread for the run-in. Bristol are the only team who doesnt play one of the top 4 in the last 2.
Top 4
76 Bristol, Tigers(A) LIrish(H)
73 Exeter, Saints(A) Sale(H)
68 Sale, Quins(H) Exeter(A)
66 Harlequins, Sale(A) Falcons(H)

Has there been a closer season?

Threads for any and all predictions and chat about the run in/play offs

The closing fixtures deserve a thread for the run-in. Bristol are the only team who doesnt play one of the top 4 in the last 2.
Top 4
76 Bristol, Tigers(A) LIrish(H)
73 Exeter, Saints(A) Sale(H)
68 Sale, Quins(H) Exeter(A)
66 Harlequins, Sale(A) Falcons(H)

Has there been a closer season?

Threads for any and all predictions and chat about the run in/play offs
Take this from the round 20 thread.

Bristol - Leicester (A), LI (H): Only need 3 points to get a home semi, which I can see them doing. How much game time do they want to give their players before the semis. I can see them possibly going hard at Leicester to secure the home semi, then resting against LI.

Exeter - Saints (A), Sale (H): Depending on the outcome of Sale vs Harlequins, Sale can still take second. A BP win against Saints would pretty much do it due to points difference. Again like Bristol, can see them going hard next week to secure home semi then have a rest on the final weekend. If they drop points against Saints though and Sake get BP win against Quins, then they'll have to win on the final weekend too.

Sale - Harlequins (H), Exeter (A): Playing two teams they could potentially end up playing in the play offs. Realistically need to beat both and hope Exeter drop points against Northampton to get a home semi. Can see them competing this match and then the match against Exeter will depend on the outcome of Exeter vs Saints.

Harlequins - Sale (A), Falcons (H): Would need to beat Sale and Falcons and Exeter to lose twice to get home semi. Could take 3rd and I think they'll go for it against Sale, if only to get a mental edge. Not sure about Falcons. With no break between play offs is it worth risking players. If they lose to Sale then they can rest anyway, but if they win then it'll be a tricky decision.

Saints - Exeter (H), Bath (A): Top 8 secure. Need 5 points from 2 games to secure 5th. I imagine they'll want to finish the season well and go strong in both games. Can't see them beating Exeter though, so depending on results they may have to go to Bath needing a BP win to secure 5th.

Tigers - Bristol (H), Wasps (A): Need 6 points to secure top 8. One win could be enough if results go their way. Tough game against Bristol, which I can see Bristol targeting to secure home semi. Then Wasps will also be competing for top 8, so both sides will need the win. Tough run in, especially as they don't get many BP's. Might well miss out on top 8 by the end.

LI - Wasps (H), Bristol (A): Beating Wasps would go a long way to securing top 8. They might face a weakened Bristol side on the final weekend, which could help. Wins could count against them if they are level on points.

Wasps - LI (A), Tigers (H): Have to beat the two teams directly above them to secure top 8. Fate is essentially in their own hands really. Tough games, but they are capable.

Bath - Gloucester (A), Saints (H): Capable of winning both games and easily capable of losing both games. Saints might be in no mans land come the final weekend and not as focused, which could help them. Need to beat Gloucester to be in contention of top 8.

Gloucester - Bath (H), Worcester (A). Again would need to win both games and hope those above slip up. Finding some form though, so could sneak into top 8.

Newcastle - Worcester (H), Harlequins (A): 4 points off top 8 and with Gloucester vs Bath they realistically need to get to 46 points if that match is a draw or Gloucester win. They would need to win both games convincingly and hope other results go their way. Think they'll miss out though as they would need a lot of luck to get 7 points and no one else get points too.

Worcester - Newcastle (H), Gloucester (A): Playing for pride, no relegation. Can they upset anyone in the race for top 8?

My prediction come the end.

Bristol
Exeter
Sale
Harlequins (Quins defence is too flaky and Sale already looking like they are in knockout mode)
Saints
Wasps (finding form at the right time)
Gloucester (Again finding a bit of form at the right time)
Leicester (Will survive based on other results)
Irish
Newcastle
Bath
Worcester

Take this from the round 20 thread.

Bristol - Leicester (A), LI (H): Only need 3 points to get a home semi, which I can see them doing. How much game time do they want to give their players before the semis. I can see them possibly going hard at Leicester to secure the home semi, then resting against LI.

Exeter - Saints (A), Sale (H): Depending on the outcome of Sale vs Harlequins, Sale can still take second. A BP win against Saints would pretty much do it due to points difference. Again like Bristol, can see them going hard next week to secure home semi then have a rest on the final weekend. If they drop points against Saints though and Sake get BP win against Quins, then they'll have to win on the final weekend too.

Sale - Harlequins (H), Exeter (A): Playing two teams they could potentially end up playing in the play offs. Realistically need to beat both and hope Exeter drop points against Northampton to get a home semi. Can see them competing this match and then the match against Exeter will depend on the outcome of Exeter vs Saints.

Harlequins - Sale (A), Falcons (H): Would need to beat Sale and Falcons and Exeter to lose twice to get home semi. Could take 3rd and I think they'll go for it against Sale, if only to get a mental edge. Not sure about Falcons. With no break between play offs is it worth risking players. If they lose to Sale then they can rest anyway, but if they win then it'll be a tricky decision.

Saints - Exeter (H), Bath (A): Top 8 secure. Need 5 points from 2 games to secure 5th. I imagine they'll want to finish the season well and go strong in both games. Can't see them beating Exeter though, so depending on results they may have to go to Bath needing a BP win to secure 5th.

Tigers - Bristol (H), Wasps (A): Need 6 points to secure top 8. One win could be enough if results go their way. Tough game against Bristol, which I can see Bristol targeting to secure home semi. Then Wasps will also be competing for top 8, so both sides will need the win. Tough run in, especially as they don't get many BP's. Might well miss out on top 8 by the end.

LI - Wasps (H), Bristol (A): Beating Wasps would go a long way to securing top 8. They might face a weakened Bristol side on the final weekend, which could help. Wins could count against them if they are level on points.

Wasps - LI (A), Tigers (H): Have to beat the two teams directly above them to secure top 8. Fate is essentially in their own hands really. Tough games, but they are capable.

Bath - Gloucester (A), Saints (H): Capable of winning both games and easily capable of losing both games. Saints might be in no mans land come the final weekend and not as focused, which could help them. Need to beat Gloucester to be in contention of top 8.

Gloucester - Bath (H), Worcester (A). Again would need to win both games and hope those above slip up. Finding some form though, so could sneak into top 8.

Newcastle - Worcester (H), Harlequins (A): 4 points off top 8 and with Gloucester vs Bath they realistically need to get to 46 points if that match is a draw or Gloucester win. They would need to win both games convincingly and hope other results go their way. Think they'll miss out though as they would need a lot of luck to get 7 points and no one else get points too.

Worcester - Newcastle (H), Gloucester (A): Playing for pride, no relegation. Can they upset anyone in the race for top 8?

My prediction come the end.

Bristol
Exeter
Sale
Harlequins (Quins defence is too flaky and Sale already looking like they are in knockout mode)
Saints
Wasps (finding form at the right time)
Gloucester (Again finding a bit of form at the right time)
Leicester (Will survive based on other results)
Irish
Newcastle
Bath
Worcester
Nice one but im mainly focusing on the top 4. The fact 3 teams plays each other and there at 7 points between 1st and 4th is great.

Nice one but im mainly focusing on the top 4. The fact 3 teams plays each other and there at 7 points between 1st and 4th is great.
Fair enough. I don't reckon it will change.

Bristol have easiest run in and I reckon will win last 2 games.
I reckon Sale will beat Quins which puts Quins out of the running.
I also think Exeter will beat Saints with a BP, which will mean Sale would need a BP against Quins and BP win against Exeter without them picking up a single BP. I think it's a step too far for Sale.

Fair enough. I don't reckon it will change.

Bristol have easiest run in and I reckon will win last 2 games.
I reckon Sale will beat Quins which puts Quins out of the running.
I also think Exeter will beat Saints with a BP, which will mean Sale would need a BP against Quins and BP win against Exeter without them picking up a single BP. I think it's a step too far for Sale.
I know but i also thought Bristol would have beaten Sale, true on Bristol. If i had money on id bet it stays the same but Quins beat Sale then Chiefs do too thats Quins in 3rd. Which changes the semis

I'll go against the grain.
Exeter have beaten us before so maybe RB rests players and goes for if win doesn't happen then potentially 3 knockout games in a row and No1s play.
See Bristol as same rest on a winnable game then as above No1s for final 3.
Both Sale and Quins have to be on a 4 game run for momentum and a possible home semi.
Of course maybe totally only DOR will decide selection and pending results a late ****le or 3 may appear.

I think Exeter need to win to be certain of second.

I think it's very likely Quins will send a reserve side to Sale. Momentum is one thing, but a home semi is very unlikely which means I think we'll go half and half and suck up an away defeat and then use the Falcons game in round 22 as a bit of prep for the play offs.

That probably means Exeter need to beat Saints with a BP to be 100% sure. If they somehow lose, I would fancy Sale to go to Sandy Park and make life very difficult.

Latest posts