RWC2011Fan

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Ireland
It's been 10 years already?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unbelievable that it's been that long! Heck of a match and just an incredible England side. At the time I actually couldn't believe how close we got to beating them - Rogers just didn't have the kicking game for FB and the boys dropped their bundle a bit at the end.

Ah happy memories; I went to Walkabouts in Watford to watch it at 8am, expecting the pub to be very quiet. How wrong was I: it was completely rammed. Most nerve racking game of my life; when Johnny dropped that winning goal it really was one of those slow motion moments; a bit like in the film Fever Pitch when Michael Thomas scored in the last minute for Arsenal. Remember the Aussie staff just completely soaking all of us with soda water. I did not mind, it was done in good jest and it was so hot in there, it cooled me down and I was pretty mashed by then:0). It really was our generation's 1966 and yes we'll be bleating on about this for the next 50 years. Hahaha.

I went to the same school as Josh Lewsey, who was a couple of years ahead of me; his brother Ed was in the same year as me. I saw Josh in a pub a couple years before the final and his forearms were ginormous and he's just a fullback/wing.

On a side note, just noticed this anniversary shares the same date that JFK was assassinated. Weird.

This morning, someone from a group of friends I used to hang with tweeted each score to all her followers as it happened. I wasn't that bothered until we got to the last tweet then the hairs rose on the back of my neck. Will it ever happen again? I think the key was the convergence of 22 personalities that transended the usual english traits of not taking things that seriously or working that hard, we are a laid back nation. It was a very special set of players and we haven't really seen their like in England since. Tom Wood maybe. I think he has that drive and the skill to back it up. I'm very proud of all of those world champions of 2003, they did a rare thing and we got to share in it.

Latest posts