• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Good spot. I thought I'd picked 33, but you are right. If I was going to cut one, it'd probably be a back three player (most likely Nowell), given Marchant can cover wing if needed.

I agree with you on Kelly. It was a huge shame he got injured as I think he would have toured instead of Porter.

Porter will either be one of those Eddie picks who no-one really gets or will just be forgotten about when others are available. Based upon what I saw from him, I wouldn't be overly disappointed if it's the latter.
How do we feel about Porter? He did ok but not many tackles in the second test though abit quiet and was it made 12 and missed 5 in the 3rd test.

Decent straight runner but a squad player at best for me.

I rate Porter highly,
He was a big part of a very successful Tigers side this season, especially after Kelly's injury - weird that people seem to take umbrage with him tbh
He was one of the form centres in the country going into this tour and was well worth his pick - if he keeps it up and he's very much in contention for a RWC spot

Obviously there's other contenders, his name is far from penned in, but he's in the mix with the likes of Kelly, Ojomoh, Lawrence (though he might be off the radar after EJ ripped him in his book)

Porter's performances confirmed what I already thought about him. Decent enough player, fortunate to make the squad and and even more fortunate to make the side for the last couple of tests. Eddie must see something he likes, but it still baffles me that Marchant was dropped for a player who offered so little.

It's a shame Dingwall was injured as think he could have offered a bit more direct running than Marchant but a better all round game than Porter.

I'll be curious to see what happens if Lawrence can put together a run of form. I don't like the way it was done, but I do wonder whether Eddie's twisted logic made him think calling Lawrence out would provoke a reaction?

Posted this on another forum last week:

Following the tour, I think we're getting pretty close to the World Cup squad.

The tour answered a few important questions:

Stuart had a good run of games and has shown that he's a viable second choice/potential starter.

JvP showed the quality and cojones to suggest he's a very serious contender at 9.

Chessum built upon his cameos and looked very much at home as a starter.

Hill (silly ******** aside) had a very decent tour and looks like first choice to partner Itoje.

Freeman looks like a very handy addition to the back three options.

If I were picking it today, I'd go with:

1. Genge / Marler / M. Vunipola
2. George / Cowan-Dickie / Walker
3. Sinckler / Stuart / Heyes
4. Itoje / Chessum
5. Hill / Isiekwe
6. Lawes / Willis
7. Curry / Underhill
8. B. Vunipola / Dombrandt
9. Youngs / Quirke / van Poortvliet
10. Smith / Ford
11. May / Freeman
12. Farrell / Slade
13. Tuilagi / Marchant
14. Watson / Nowell
15. Steward / Arundell

Unlucky to miss out: Rodd, Earl, Simmonds, Malins

IMO biggest areas of potential flux are third choice hooker, number 8, centre and the back three.

I've gone with Walker for now. I'd prefer McGuigan, but that looks unlikely. Blamire has talent but unless he's starting more games, I think it's Walker's spot to lose, but I think Langdon's move to Worcester could put him in a good position to challenge. Singleton might also benefit if Gloucester have another good season.

8 is a funny one … now Billy is back, he's going to be very hard to dislodge. There's no news on Dombrandt's knee injury, but as long as it's not too serious, he's probably next cab off the rank. The dark horse IMO is Mercer. If he has another good season in France signs a contract with a Premiership club, I can definitely see him leapfrogging Dombrandt.

Centre has been done to death. I just hope Marchant being dropped is temporary. Tuilagi and Slade are the obvious two to return fitness permitting. Will Joseph has obviously impressed in training, but he needs the chance with Irish to really challenge. I said before the tour that Porter was lucky to be included and he showed nothing in the past couple of weeks to suggest that was an unfair assessment. Back up at best IMO.

Back three is completely open. In theory, May and Watson are in provided that they are fit and their injuries haven't taken too much of a toll. Nowell is an Eddie favourite and aside from one poor decision which saw him bundled in to touch, I thought he had a good tour. Sure he's not the most deadly wing in test rugby, but he brings a lot of good qualities that shouldn't be overlooked. Freeman has played his way in to contention with two very good showings. He's stolen a march on Cokanasiga, Radwan, Hassell-Collins and Lynagh who have limited opportunities now to make a case. If Arundell can continue to kick on this season, I'd say he's taken the maverick spot Radwan would have been chasing and could cement the role of impact sub in the 23 shirt.

Come at me …
Wait you post on another forum as well?

I'm heart broken.

Just rewatched the games, might say more later, but on Porter his defence was good in the second game, but atrocious in the 3rd. Missed at least 3 tackles and rushing out of the line one time created a huge gap.

Surprised no one is picking Launchbury in their RWC squads. Is it you guys think he's done, or just that you think he's not in Eddie's thoughts?

In my case, I forgot about him TBH!

I know he played a bit at the end of the season, but we really haven't seen him in action for a good while. If he's in one piece and playing well, I'd certainly have him in the mix.

In my case, I forgot about him TBH!

I know he played a bit at the end of the season, but we really haven't seen him in action for a good while. If he's in one piece and playing well, I'd certainly have him in the mix.
Over who? That should be a rule if you say who is in then say who is out. Ive been thinking about what if Manu Slade May Watson came fit tomorrow, does that push out Porter, Joseph, Freeman, Arundell? And of those still in the squad who starts?

Well then it would come down to form. Of the four I picked, Isiekwe is probably the one I'd be most willing to lose for Launch.

Well then it would come down to form. Of the four I picked, Isiekwe is probably the one I'd be most willing to lose for Launch.
If, and it's a big if, we could see peak Launch then out of your picks he's the heavy duty foil to Itoje. Class above Hill and 70 caps worth of experience against the potential of Chessum and Isiekwe. Those 2 can cover 6 in different ways so to answer Scotty's question as a pure lock Hill loses out.

Perhaps. I've been a huge fan of Launchbury over the years, but realistically I think he is past his peak now and with his increasing proneness to injury, I'm not expecting an Indian summer.

Putting the Swain BS to one side, Hill has impressed me in his last few England games. Before his injury lay off he was looking good and he's picked up where he left off. I don't think he'll ever be as good as peak Launchbury but I think he'll most probably be better than the older and sadly injury ravaged version.

Perhaps. I've been a huge fan of Launchbury over the years, but realistically I think he is past his peak now and with his increasing proneness to injury, I'm not expecting an Indian summer.

Putting the Swain BS to one side, Hill has impressed me in his last few England games. Before his injury lay off he was looking good and he's picked up where he left off. I don't think he'll ever be as good as peak Launchbury but I think he'll most probably be better than the older and sadly injury ravaged version.
Think working with no nonsense Sanderson will do him the world of good.
He will develop the ****le to the right level amd become even more of a hadnful in the tight.

As much as I can't stand Sanderson you're probably right there.

Ok is Sanderson no nonsense or does he just have some no nonsense players (namely the South Africans who where no nonsense since they arrived)

Sanderson seems pretty high nonsense tbh,
Very new age, lots of mind coaches, therapists, brain scans (to look at emotions) etc.

TBF is hill that much of a see you next Tuesday?
Undeniably was this summer but I can't remember him standing out as one in the past - feels more like he was told to really get stuck into the Aussie forwards than he has a proper mean streak or anything

Latest posts