• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Martin looked very good not sure he is a winger though

Honestly Hodge I could see being viewed as a winger later on. A lot of teams seem to like wings who can cover 15 and he has that natural speed.
That boy can do it all! lol

Nah just after we had been talking about real physical locks / back rowers...and that young lad was very physical.

Same, tbh

If everyone were available (and I'm not sure they will be, cause Lions), from our Six Nations squad:

Elliot Daly --> Stay
Max Malins --> Stay
Jonny May --> Stay
Paolo Odogwu --> Gone (for Marchant, as another wing/13? Or for Nowell? Nowell's been injured so much I can't remember how EJ feels about him)
Anthony Watson --> Stay
If Odogwu can get back and fit and on form...he can force his way back in. We dont have many options with his power running...only other is Cockasaniga who is working his way back himself.

And im ignoring Manu as we have no idea if he will be fit or not.

That list would also suggest no place for Radwan ?

That list would also suggest no place for Radwan ?
Who do you see Eddie dropping? I'm looking at what I think he'll do, not what I'd do

Manu isn't in contention for a back 3 spot, I know he's played a little there before but he'll be solely viewed as a 12/13

Odogwu is out for a while with injury yet, won't be in contention for the Autumn and will have his work cut out to prove fitness and form before the 6N
He was only really called up to spite the Italians anyway

I can see Malins or Daly making way. Clearly Jones wants someone who is a utility...they can fill that role. But he only needs one. So for me one of those goes and Radwan comes in.

Sorry i was only referrign to Manu as centre. I think Odogwu can move there aswell...

Definitely possible - though EJ has always had a lot of time for Daly, even after his worst performances, and Malins had been around the EPS a lot (and playing really well for Bristol last season) so deserves his spot

Hopefully the Lions guys miss out on the Autumn so we've got three (Odogwu, Watson, Daly) spots open, which can be filled by Marchant, Radwan and Steward, respectively

Furbank had another great game at the weekend. Eddie's really rates him as well so he might not be out the question.

I look forward to an exciting back line of Youngs, Farrell, May, Tuilagi, Slade, Watson, Malins (Randall, Smith, Daly on the bench) taking on South Africa in the autumn.

Prove me wrong Eddie, prove me wrong.

Who do you see Eddie dropping? I'm looking at what I think he'll do, not what I'd do

Manu isn't in contention for a back 3 spot, I know he's played a little there before but he'll be solely viewed as a 12/13

Odogwu is out for a while with injury yet, won't be in contention for the Autumn and will have his work cut out to prove fitness and form before the 6N
He was only really called up to spite the Italians anyway
Sorry, but I think that's off the mark.

If that was the intention, he'd have been given 5mins just to secure him. Same for Redpath and other dual qualified players we've had

He was selected because he was in good enough form to justify it at the time, he just wasn't picked to play which isn't that unusual for a player in their first England camp. The same could be said for Willis, Dombrandt and several others. Also, he couldn't be picked when he got injured, so for all we know here was a plan to play him.

I know Eddie isn't universally popular, but I honestly don't believe he picks players just to f*%k off another country. Apart from Gary Graham.

Apart from Gary Graham.
Alvaro Morte Antarctica GIF by HBO ASIA

Tongue in cheek, really - but I think it definitely played a small part in his selection

I know Eddie isn't universally popular, but I honestly don't believe he picks players just to f*%k off another country. Apart from Gary Graham.

I don't think he picks players to **** off other countries but I definitely do believes he picks players with no intention of playing them as a show of power and then uses the whole "seeing them train" as a convenient excuse. There are too many players he has mucked around with no or pointlessly limited game time for it to be a constructive tactic. It seems like him trying to show who is boss by mucking some players around. He also likes to fight with the press and public opinion and I really wouldn't put it past him to **** around with players just for the sole purpose of doing the opposite of what everyone says so he can claim he is right.

It's not just because he doesn't pick people's favourites that I think this, it's how he goes about it.

Telegraph saying Simmonds is back in the squad and that both Vunipolas, Ford and Daly are at risk of being left out.

Sounds like they're hedging their bets trying to get a scoop

This is just a training sqaud isnt it? Or is this the squad for the AI's?

Ford being left out wouldn't surprise me, I said a few months ago I predicted him to be switched out with Smith
Billy a little surprised at, hopefully we've seen the light with Dombrandt (if it's Simmonds I'll be annoyed)
Mako I'm surprised at - though if it's just rest after a busy Lions tour then makes sense. Happy with it, though - need to properly try other choices
Daly as above really - happy but surprised

Telegraph saying Simmonds is back in the squad
ryan reynolds hd GIF

Not like he tore it up for the Lions

This is just a training sqaud isnt it? Or is this the squad for the AI's?
It'll just be a training squad but I doubt it'll be massively different from the actual one - it's not like the summer where the Prem Final gets in the way

Training Squad announced.

Forwards (26):

Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons, 2 caps)
Callum Chick (Newcastle Falcons, 2 caps)
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 31 caps)
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 33 caps)
Trevor Davison (Newcastle Falcons, 1 cap)
Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins, 1 cap)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 23 caps)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 30 caps)
Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers, 2 caps)
Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, 9 caps)
Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors, 2 caps)
Maro Itoje (Saracens, 48 caps)
Jack Kenningham (Harlequins, uncapped)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 87 caps)
Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 10 caps)
Lewis Ludlow (Gloucester Rugby, 2 caps)
Joe Marler (Harlequins, 72 caps)
George Martin (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)
Beno Obano (Bath Rugby, 3 caps)
Gabriel Oghre (Wasps, uncapped)
Sam Riley (Harlequins, uncapped)
Bevan Rodd (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, 7 caps)
Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 44 caps)
Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 12 caps)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 24 caps)

Backs (19):

Mark Atkinson (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)
Owen Farrell (Saracens, 93 caps)
George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 4 caps)
Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors, 7 caps)
Louis Lynagh (Harlequins, uncapped)
Max Malins (Saracens, 8 caps)
Joe Marchant (Harlequins, 6 caps)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 66 caps)
Raffi Quirke (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
Adam Radwan (Newcastle Falcons, 1 cap)
Harry Randall (Bristol Bears, 2 caps)
Dan Robson (Wasps, 14 caps)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 40 caps)
Ollie Sleightholme (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 2 caps)
Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 2 caps)
Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 43 caps)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 51 caps)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 109 caps)

Some surprising calls even if just a training squad. Davison/Atkinson and even Ludlow i am slightly surprised at. Realise it's just a training squad but really don't understand what these guys will add in future for building to world cup.

I'd personally have selected West, Kelly/Ojomah and then T Willis/Clement/Reid.

The one thing I'll add for Davison is that he can play either side of the scrum, don't think there's many English props who can do that currently so could be useful for a squad.

Latest posts