• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

I still can't fathom what EJ sees in Ludlow. In some cases I can understand Jones sticking with favourites, going with players who have done well at club level or going with players who have this "aura" of belief about them but Ludlow is none of the above. He's a bang average player, never noticed him as a captain and he managed to get himself carded for an act of sheer stupidity on only his 2nd cap (could and arguably should have been a red).

Even Ewels I can understand more than Ludlow and that is a thoroughly uninspiring choice even at club level.

Maybe Eddie gets confused by Ludlam and ludlow and when he goes to pick players he forgets if he picked Ludlam or not.

Ludlum is far better in my opinion.

Ludlow was top of the tackle stats last season...by quite a way. And apparently was the player who statistically was involved in the most "positive" actions in the prem.

So hes clearly a very good player in the Prem...i just question if he has that area of excellent for international level to stand out...and i dont believe he does...

I think Ludlam is a very good player just unlucky to be behind some extremely talented opensides
Ludlow reminds me of players like Wells for Tigers, Welch for Falcons, etc every club has them the really good solid dependable club players that home fans love, but just not that top level player.
Like Wells would I want Wells to leave tigers nope.
Would Wells make my top 10 locks in the league prob not.

It will be
9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. May
12. Manu
13. Slade
14. Watson
15. Daly
9. Randall
10. Smith
11. Radwan
12. Manu
13. Slade(Manu Slade combo looked good pre injury, so be curious to see it again. Lawrence/Marchant need gametime too though)
14. Watson
15. Steward

21. Robson
22. Faz
23. Lawrence

Be happy with that personally.

Ludlum is far better in my opinion.

Ludlow was top of the tackle stats last season...by quite a way. And apparently was the player who statistically was involved in the most "positive" actions in the prem.

So hes clearly a very good player in the Prem...i just question if he has that area of excellent for international level to stand out...and i dont believe he does...
Or Gloucester were rubbish and he tackled a lot as the other forwards didn't?

Stats on their own are dangerous.

Or Gloucester were rubbish and he tackled a lot as the other forwards didn't?

Stats on their own are dangerous.
Both of those statements are true, but I think that's a touch harsh on Ludlow.

I wouldn't pick him for the England squad, not because I think he is a bad player, but because I think there are several considerably better options available.

Ludlow reminds me of players like Wells for Tigers, Welch for Falcons, etc every club has them the really good solid dependable club players that home fans love, but just not that top level player.

100% in agreement on this. I feel very much the same about James Chisholm.

In any case, with Willis and potentially Barbeary due back from injury, I don't see Ludlow being an enduring member of the squad.

Both of those statements are true, but I think that's a touch harsh on Ludlow.

I wouldn't pick him for the England squad, not because I think he is a bad player, but because I think there are several considerably better options available.

100% in agreement on this. I feel very much the same about James Chisholm.

In any case, with Willis and potentially Barbeary due back from injury, I don't see Ludlow being an enduring member of the squad.
Yes, Chisholm was an outstanding age group player as the 'competition' for spots is less.
Once you get to the seniors, you are up against a much bigger player pool.

To be fair to Chisholm, his main limitation has been injuries. Whenever he can put a run of games together, he's excellent, but he rarely manages to get beyond about 4 before breaking down again.

To be fair to Chisholm, his main limitation has been injuries. Whenever he can put a run of games together, he's excellent, but he rarely manages to get beyond about 4 before breaking down again.
Thought he could be outstanding, both him and brother have suffered from injuries.
Would have loved him to get to the very top, as I taught him maths when he was 11 years old.

Latest posts