• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

At the time he was good enough to deserve at least 20 mins off the bench yes. It's the fact he literally came on for 1 or 2 mins after repeatedly being selected for squads and then on the bench. It was the only bit of management by Jones that to me seemed to go beyond stupid and in to malicious. He was definitely making a point of messing Dunn about.
But he was or is better than george or lcd

No but that wasn't the point, he was cover when LCD was injured and would have been our 3rd choice at the time. Jones messed him around and would keep George on for the entire game (essentially) but still be cheeky enough to give Dunn literally 1 minute on the field. If you're going to do that, why bother having them on the bench at all and if they aren't ever going to come off the bench in any significant capacity, why have them in the team at all?

Do people think it will be Lawes or Hill to partner Itoje ...?

I'd have preferred Isiekwe to be honest...not sure why hes not in the squad. Unless Jones has told him to continue his good form until the 6n. Prove hes finally fulfilling his potential...

I still think this is a trial squad of sorts....he wants to check out a few of the kids against the big boys, see how they go with less time and increased physicality and intensity.....and the 6n will be the real squad heading for the World Cup
Itoje might be crocked. And then what. Lawes+Hill. Yay.

Came off with a hand injury at the weekend, rumours are flying as you might imagine

If you only ever play him for 1-2 minutes you'd never know if they are good enough to firstly be third choice (which is what the role was) or ever progress to overtake the others.

What can you learn from giving a player 1-2 minutes? Really why? Play him for 20 for a few games and if he isn't up for it move him on.

If you only ever play him for 1-2 minutes you'd never know if they are good enough to firstly be third choice (which is what the role was) or ever progress to overtake the others.

What can you learn from giving a player 1-2 minutes? Really why? Play him for 20 for a few games and if he isn't up for it move him on.
Couldnt agree more.

Itoje might be crocked. And then what. Lawes+Hill. Yay.
I don't know whether you can play Lawes in the 2nd row anymore, when did he last play there? The RWC final? For Saints he's always at 6 nowadays. I think you'd have to stick Ewels in there for some ballast but even then it's a **** poor selection of locks outside of Itoje.

Fairly happy at the selection but feel like there just isn't very much muscle in the back five, if you look at Itoje/Hill/Curry/Underhill/Dombrandt then compare it to SA/Aus I wouldn't be that confident at them winning a dogfight.

I don't know whether you can play Lawes in the 2nd row anymore, when did he last play there? The RWC final? For Saints he's always at 6 nowadays. I think you'd have to stick Ewels in there for some ballast but even then it's a **** poor selection of locks outside of Itoje.

Fairly happy at the selection but feel like there just isn't very much muscle in the back five, if you look at Itoje/Hill/Curry/Underhill/Dombrandt then compare it to SA/Aus I wouldn't be that confident at them winning a dogfight.
If you are talking purely mass vs mass then yes I suppose so.

But talking dogfight without comparing physical sizes, then I think there are some players in that ENG back five more than capable enough to win a dogfight vs SA. Curry and Itoje in particular.

The squad looks fairly positive to me, with a good amount of potential to blood new players which will hopefully take the team forward.

Loose head, hooker, back row, and all backs, with exception of 12, I feel we have enough established talent or plenty to experiment with over the next couple of campaigns.

The two main concerns for me are tight head prop and second row where I don't feel we have enough depth in quality. Am I rightly concerned or is there a wealth or talent coming through that I'm not aware of?

I think a few of the locks are on last chance. Ewells and Hill etc. Come the 6n...i expect to see a different set of locks.
And later Kruis will be back in contention also (probably as a Tigers player) and George Martin will most likely start moving in to the engine room over next year or so.
Theres a few other young monsters coming through who we can monitor...you never know one or two might make big strides....

For this Ai's - Itoje aside, the locks will "do a job".

The squad looks fairly positive to me, with a good amount of potential to blood new players which will hopefully take the team forward.

Loose head, hooker, back row, and all backs, with exception of 12, I feel we have enough established talent or plenty to experiment with over the next couple of campaigns.

The two main concerns for me are tight head prop and second row where I don't feel we have enough depth in quality. Am I rightly concerned or is there a wealth or talent coming through that I'm not aware of?
So tighthead we have Sinckler, Stuart, Heyes, Williams around the squad. Other individuals we have as an option are Street (Exeter), Phainter (Saints), Finn Baxter (Quins) so there are options to come.

Second Row is tough - So realistically we have J Hill, Lawes, Launchbury, Itoje, Ewels, Martin around the squad. Isiekwe, Kpoku, Coles, Stooke, Moon, Ribbans, Wells etc who could step up. I'd also say that Lonsdale and Cardall could be brought through depending if needed. There is also a chance Kruis will return soon as well and would be a welcome addition.

I do see your point though. If you were after WORLD CLASS - Sinckler, Itoje, Launchbury and Lawes i would say are your options there with Hill, Stuart and Kruis close running. It seems we have options but in order to get them through we need to maybe cut a few players who are seen as squad fillers. If i was to pick personally:

THP - Sinckler, Stuart, Heyes - Stuart needs to step up if he isn't to be replaced by someone coming through much like Williams was.
Second Row - Itoje, Launchbury, Lawes, Kruis (if available) and then 2 of Martin/Isiekwe/Ribbans to step up. Ewels is on the line to be cut as never been hugely impressed internationally. Kpoku/Moon are the two who could be the future.

Tighthead is a bit of a concern, even moreso if we lose a guy(/Sinckler) to injury - feels like there's a gap between the established guys and then the youngsters that are a season or two away from being properly competitive (like Heyes, who looks massively promising, but would benefit more from another season as understudy at club level before properly being tested internationally)
Hopefully Stuart can find some form and get back to his best - though that's a big ask with the way Bath are playing atm

Honestly EJ should probably look at capping Nick Schoenert (even if it would **** over Sale), he's been in training camps before and played for England XV vs the Barbarians

Lock I think there's the talent available, it's just being a bit hamstrung by EJs love in with Ewels.

Tighthead is a bit of a concern, even moreso if we lose a guy(/Sinckler) to injury - feels like there's a gap between the established guys and then the youngsters that are a season or two away from being properly competitive (like Heyes, who looks massively promising, but would benefit more from another season as understudy at club level before properly being tested internationally)
Hopefully Stuart can find some form and get back to his best - though that's a big ask with the way Bath are playing atm

Honestly EJ should probably look at capping Nick Schoenert (even if it would **** over Sale), he's been in training camps before and played for England XV vs the Barbarians
Schoenert is quality and would do such a good job to sort the pack out. I used to rate him back at Wuss and was very jealous when you had JCW and him, Also anyone know where JCW has gone?

Retired, I believe - think he's at Uni doing a Masters degree now
Might just be a sabbatical while he works through whatever injury problems have kept him out for so long
Sad times, he was quality for us. Was a big move for him to Sale but never really hit the heights he did for us. Si Mac and Taylor have gone back and hopefully are more successful. I also hope Mac keeps the serious Afro he was repping for your club photoshoot.

Latest posts