• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Agree with comments on need for new 8, 9, 10, and 12.
Ignoring what Eddie will most likely do, I would love to see:
8. Dombrandt
9. Robson / 21. Quirke
10. Smith

But I have literally no idea about 12! Especially when trying to fit with the right 13. This feels like the biggest problem right now. I don't want it to be Farrell, that feels like just holding back any improvement.

Manu at 12 - tempting outside of Smith, but will probably not make it through the training weeks, and then a filler 12 not having trained will have to take his place (insert Farrell here).

Manu at 13 - more tempting as a replacement 13 for inevitable injury seems an easier choice with Slade, Lawrence or Marchant.

So this leaves choices for 12 around Kellly, Lawrence, Atkinson, or who else am I missing?
Would Atkinson be the more experienced (club level only I know) older head at 12 to support Smith properly?

TLDR: Please help with a balanced team choice of England 12 & 13 that matches with Marcus Smith, and does not include Farrell (and probably Manu due to inevitable injury)?
Is it too early to bring Max Ojomoh in to the squad? I know hes young, but every game ive seen him at 12 he looks very good.

Rate him massively but probably too soon to throw him in at the real deep end - he was in the squad over the summer, though, so might be in as an apprentice

Is it too early to bring Max Ojomoh in to the squad? I know hes young, but every game ive seen him at 12 he looks very good.
He's stand-out in a poor side.
As for whether he's ready - I'm always more cautious than most; and would virtually never pick any player in their breakthrough season - The time to judge class vs purple patch, and to assess mentality is after the opposition video analysts have got their teeth into what the player does and teams start finding and exposing flaws.
Far too many examples of players having a stand-out first season, suffering second season syndrome, and dropping back down the pecking order
I wouldn't - but we're getting desperate; and there's a decent chance he'll be ready for the RWC, in which case, getting him started early could be a good call.
I'd still be uncomfortable seeing him start though.
Squad for training, or apprentice would be fine for him at this stage.

Its irrelevant anyway as judging from Hatleys interview in the Guardian, Farrell is set in stone until the World Cup.

I would have said I'd have him as an apprentice but the path from apprentice to full England international is exceptionally poor, most fall out of favour. Hell even Smith hasn't made that break yet, even though he likely will soon it hasn't actually happened yet. I'd let him have a full season in a currently underperforming Bath. If he is still going well then I'd bring him in. I'm all for bringing new, young talent in but I think bringing him in at the same time might be a bit too much change in 1 go. I wouldn't be overly opposed to 15-20 mins as a sub though.

Ahhh - Hartley.

Sorry, I was looking for something from Hatley - Max Ojomo's current head coach and ex-England coach, who might have some insight, not Hartley who's had nothing to do with English rugby for 2 years now

Play Lawes and Itoje at flank and choose two proper big units at lock.....lol

Hatley - Scrum coach....not Dylan Hartley.

Edit - Sorry i read it wrong....it was Dylan Hartley, not Hatley.

Waste of time reading it in that case :D

Even the Boks have realised you need an openside, and started playing Kwagga more

Thats like the old school....

4 Johnson
5 Bayfield
6 Rodber
7 Clarke
8 Richards

Ribbans at 8 is a logic move imo

Everyone prefers Ribbed because it's more exciting without losing anything in protection

Latest posts