• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Looking at the Foy story from yesterday about Curry at 8. He does mention he may start at 8 which to me sounds like he's guessing, putting in a headline because EJ did it once and to get clicks from England fans. Looking at that squad you ain't picking 4 locks play 1 at 6 and 3 8s to not play any. I know it's EJ he makes crazy decisions but even wouldn't do that, you don't talk about revamping your squad to do what you did before.

Doesn't Lynagh need to be bought out of his Quins contract and relocate to Aus before he can be selected for them?
I think they scrapped that rule recently - saw an article the other week how Australia hadn't given up on the chance of capping him
Imagine they'll be in his ear for this Autumn tour - not sure if he'd take it, though. He did say he's open to playing for Aus (or Italy) still, but if he got a token cap for Aus this autumn then was discarded then it could have a knock on effect on his club game (no longer being EQP)

I think they scrapped that rule recently - saw an article the other week how Australia hadn't given up on the chance of capping him
Imagine they'll be in his ear for this Autumn tour - not sure if he'd take it, though. He did say he's open to playing for Aus (or Italy) still, but if he got a token cap for Aus this autumn then was discarded then it could have a knock on effect on his club game (no longer being EQP)
I believe that it hasn't been scrapped yet but they are thinking of looking at it. There is currently an extenuating circumstances exemption that can be applied, which is what is being used to select the some European based players like Skelton for the AI's

I believe that it hasn't been scrapped yet but they are thinking of looking at it. There is currently an extenuating circumstances exemption that can be applied, which is what is being used to select the some European based players like Skelton for the AI's
Ah yeah, just read an article that basically said they're going to have a limit on foreign based players and try and limit callups to extentuating circumstances

Wouldn't surprise me if they thought capping him was an extenuating circumstance, though - they did say that they want to keep being in Australia as the best option for Aussie players wanting to play internationally.
Offer Louis a cap, tell him how lovely Aus is this time of year and mention how his brother is in Queensland and wouldn't it be nice to go and re-unite with him and win a load more caps...

Looking at the Foy story from yesterday about Curry at 8. He does mention he may start at 8 which to me sounds like he's guessing, putting in a headline because EJ did it once and to get clicks from England fans. Looking at that squad you ain't picking 4 locks play 1 at 6 and 3 8s to not play any. I know it's EJ he makes crazy decisions but even wouldn't do that, you don't talk about revamping your squad to do what you did before.
Eddie: hold my beer

The thing for me is that I'm not sure what EJ's plan is or what he is hoping to get out of these games. As others have said some selections don't make a huge amount of sense when there are better players to choose from.

Is this as simple as trying to give those previously experienced players like the Vunipolas a kick up the backside in time for the 6Ns?

I don't get Martin's inclusion. Why now and where is he supposed to fit in with Jone's plan.

Last edited:
I mean I think it's pretty clear how he fit's in TBH.
Eddie likes his 6's being that lock mould.
Line out option
Carrier
Big tackler
Martin ticks those boxes.

Also the bigger competition (Jack Willis) are injured.

I mean I think it's pretty clear how he fit's in TBH.
Eddie likes his 6's being that lock mould.
Line out option
Carrier
Big tackler
Martin ticks those boxes.

Also the bigger competition (Jack Willis) are injured.
Just assumed after he wasn't selected in the summer that Jones realised Martin is average and doesn't even compare to an underhill or Lawes (why oh why is Lawes still an option here, although he did smash it for the lions).

That's the squad in positions.

1.Marler, Genge
2.Cowan-Dickie, Blamire, Dolly
3.Sinckler, Stuart, Davison
4.Itoje, Hill
5.Lawes, Ewels
6.Curry, Martin
7.Underhill, Ludlam
8.Dombrandt, Simmonds, Chick

9.Youngs, Randall, Quirke
10.Smith

11.May, Radwan
12.Farrell, Atkinson
13.Tuilagi, Slade
14.Watson, Freeman
15.Steward, Malins, Furbank
Thanks for this.

Some interesting choices.

So id like to see(my opinion)

1. Genge
2. LCD
3. Sinks
4. Itoje
5. Hill
6. Curry
7. Underhill
8. Dombrant
9. Randall (not seen enough of Quirke)
10. Smith
11. Radwan
12. Manu
13. Slade
14. Watson
15. Malins (more experienced/attacking minded than Steward, moves to wing when staward comes on.)

16. Blarmire or dolly
17. Marler
18. Stuart
19. Lawes
20. Simmonds
21. Youngs
22. Faz
23. Staward(could quite easily be switched with Malins on bench)

I really dont get not picking Marchant! Freeman and Furbank are good but are they really that good? They just seem pointless.

And why Ewels really.

Thanks for this.

Some interesting choices.

So id like to see(my opinion)

1. Genge
2. LCD
3. Sinks
4. Itoje
5. Hill
6. Curry
7. Underhill
8. Dombrant
9. Randall (not seen enough of Quirke)
10. Smith
11. Radwan
12. Manu
13. Slade
14. Watson
15. Malins (more experienced/attacking minded than Steward, moves to wing when staward comes on.)

16. Blarmire or dolly
17. Marler
18. Stuart
19. Lawes
20. Simmonds
21. Youngs
22. Faz
23. Staward(could quite easily be switched with Malins on bench)

I really dont get not picking Marchant! Freeman and Furbank are good but are they really that good? They just seem pointless.

And why Ewels really.
Furbank seems to be a bizarre Eddie obsession and no, neither he or Freeman warrant an inclusion in my opinion.

My opinion on the selections, colour coded for funsies. Good, Apathetic, Bad, Don't know enough. Underlining for particular emphasis.

1.Marler, Genge
2.Cowan-Dickie, Blamire, Dolly
3.Sinckler, Stuart, Davison
4.Itoje, Hill
5.Lawes, Ewels
6.Curry, Martin
7.Underhill, Ludlam
8.Dombrandt, Simmonds, Chick

9.Youngs, Randall, Quirke
10.Smith

11.May, Radwan
12.Farrell, Atkinson
13.Tuilagi, Slade
14.Watson, Freeman
15.Steward, Malins, Furbank

On balance then a reasonable set of selections, although my pet hate players are still there in Youngs, Farrell and Ewels. Youngs and Farrell I can understand him sticking with them for now as they are an integral part of the team but still want to see them gone soon. Ewels though should just not be there, he is not even bang average in skillset and devoid of leadership as captain. I really do not see anything he offers. Farrell and Youngs can actually have the odd game where they are sublime, Ewels aspires to average at best, I've never seen him stand out in a game for good reasons. Hill and Stuart, meh. Neither have been great performers and think others should get a chance but if there is a fair bit of shuffling of the main team I can understand why they would stay.

Tuilagi and Slade I don't have a problem with as individual players and think they both can still have an important roll to play for England, I just thought Marchant would have a shot and so I'm pretty apathetic about them taking a slot we could have used for him. Likewise with Atkinson at 12, I hope we actually get a chance to see him with some proper game time. If Jones selects all these new players but then doesn't actually change the team then it will be a complete joke, which I worry he will do.

Omissions I wanted to see: Robson, Isiekwe, Marchant.

Was dunn good enough?
At the time he was good enough to deserve at least 20 mins off the bench yes. It's the fact he literally came on for 1 or 2 mins after repeatedly being selected for squads and then on the bench. It was the only bit of management by Jones that to me seemed to go beyond stupid and in to malicious. He was definitely making a point of messing Dunn about.

Do people think it will be Lawes or Hill to partner Itoje ...?

I'd have preferred Isiekwe to be honest...not sure why hes not in the squad. Unless Jones has told him to continue his good form until the 6n. Prove hes finally fulfilling his potential...

I still think this is a trial squad of sorts....he wants to check out a few of the kids against the big boys, see how they go with less time and increased physicality and intensity.....and the 6n will be the real squad heading for the World Cup

Latest posts