• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

F3KmQv8iDRsRKwYf94Wsp9ryZZ4uKWay1aNc3biZ6T7k8-yK5s21zGOWrunWVwMN5TYytf-NRcWMzkpJrBWKCWF_YfgiBzDZ8ZIHiPw

Sort of off topic from how good Cole is.

Would Hill and Lawrence be better off moving if not what clubs would be better fits?
Honestly if Sale was looking at changing their back row (talk of a Curry maybe leaving etc) I think Hill would really suit them at 6. Granted if Liebenberg was to ever leave he would be the perfect replacement

Would Hill and Lawrence be better off moving if not what clubs would be better fits?
Honestly if Sale was looking at changing their back row (talk of a Curry maybe leaving etc) I think Hill would really suit them at 6. Granted if Liebenberg was to ever leave he would be the perfect replacement
See i'm not sure they would. Unless there was a very open spot. They play every week and get game time against top pros, which lawrence/Hill may not if they went elsewhere.
I mean if you look at Hinkley/Hodge, i'm fairly confident that they (especially Hodge) would be starting.

If Sale see their SA contigent flow back to SA rugby as URC builds then i would say Hill would fit in perfectly. I'd also say both would work for Wasps, especially Lawrence.

Fekitoa is out of contract this year and although now having met his gf over here, i'm not convinced he will stay and with Youngs off we could have enough cap space for both. HOWEVER, am i right in saying that cap excluded players can't be EPQ?

There was talk of Richards trying to tempt Lawrence up to Newcastle a while back, would love him in our midfield as it's pretty bare at the moment.

Also Eddie seems to have developed a liking for our players recently so might not be the barrier to international selection playing for us has usually been.

How different would an England team look from say the RWC final? That was already rather a young team. Who should outsiders keep an eye on?

?
1 Genge
2 LCD
3 can't believe I forget the name... the sulky bloke
4 That big bloke
5 Itoje
6 Lawes
7 Curry
8 Underhill
9 ?
10 That young Marcus Smith guy looked electric vs my Stormers but I don't know much about him outside of that and how much that should count for.
11 May? He has been devastating against us in the past.
12 Tuilagi still injured?
13 Daly
14 Watson
15 ?

Last edited:
How different would an England team look from say the RWC final? That was already rather a young team. Who should outsiders keep an eye on?

?
1 Genge
2 LCD
4 That big bloke
5 Itoje
6 Lawes
7 Curry
8 Underhill
9 ?
10 That young Marcus Smith guy looked electric vs my Stormers but I don't know much about him outside of that and how much that should count for.
13 Daly
14 Watson
15 ?
It's honestly really hard to tell - EJ is incredibly loyal to certain players, but then will occasionally throw a curveball or just straight up replace a whole unit (Underhill/Curry went from uncapped to permanent starters in an instant). It depends on how he's viewing this series - try out players before next year's 6N or go full force to try and claim some scalps after a poor Six Nations this year?

Tuilagi is fit atm, and Daly is currently injured

If I had to guess at EJ's preferred first choice side at the moment, from the players available, it would be:

1. Marler
2. LCD
3. Sulky Sinckler
4. Itoje
5. Hill
6. Lawes
7. Underhill
8. Curry (<--This is the biggest question mark in the squad, for me - Curry is definitely a first choice starter, it's just where? EJ has used him at 8 in the past, and I think Lawes is likely to be at 6. It could be Underhill that misses out, and then one of Dombrandt/Simmonds starts at 8, but based on the lack of love EJ has shown them in the past I'm leaning towards Curry at 8 for his non-experimental-side)
9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. May
12. Tuilagi
13. Slade
14. Watson (if fit - he went off with a knee injury on the weekend - Max Malins if he's not)
15. Steward

16. ??? - Hard to know who is top of the pecking order as Blamire/Dolly are both new, Blamire has two camps and impressed in the summer, though
17. Genge
18. Stuart
19. Ewels
20. Simmonds/Dombrandt (no idea who is top of the pecking order)
21. Randall
22. Smith
23. Malins (Radwan if Malins is starting)

Before I get ripped to shreds, this is what I think EJ would pick, not what I would pick

But he could, equally, bench Youngs and Farrell, have Genge as his starting loosehead etc.

?
1 Genge
2 LCD
4 That big bloke
5 Itoje
6 Lawes
7 Curry
8 Underhill
9 ?
13 Daly
14 Watson
15 ?
So i'd say it could be a much changed side and most likely will probably look a little like the team i've included below. It very much depends on how EJ uses Farrell/Curry and Lawes. I would suspect.

1 Marler
2 LCD (If Fit)
3 Sinckler
4 Lawes
5 Itoje
6 Underhill
7 Curry
8 Dombrandt
9 Youngs
10 Smith
11 Radwan
12 Farrell
13 Tuilagi
14 Watson
15 Steward

Bench: Genge, Dolly, Stuart, Hill, Simmonds, Quirke, Slade, Malins

The new guys who you won't have seen from the World Cup will be Marler (Old Boy but back in), Dolly, Chick, Davison (plays both sides scrum), Ewels, Martin, Radwan (same style as May), Simmonds, Ludlham, Dombrandt, Smith, Atkinson, Quirke (Faf's understudy at Sale), Freeman, Furbank, Steward, Malins, Randall.

It's honestly really hard to tell - EJ is incredibly loyal to certain players, but then will occasionally throw a curveball or just straight up replace a whole unit (Underhill/Curry went from uncapped to permanent starters in an instant). It depends on how he's viewing this series - try out players before next year's 6N or go full force to try and claim some scalps after a poor Six Nations this year?

Tuilagi is fit atm, and Daly is currently injured

If I had to guess at EJ's preferred first choice side at the moment, from the players available, it would be:

1. Marler
2. LCD
3. Sulky Sinckler
4. Itoje
5. Hill
6. Lawes
7. Underhill
8. Curry (<--This is the biggest question mark in the squad, for me - Curry is definitely a first choice starter, it's just where? EJ has used him at 8 in the past, and I think Lawes is likely to be at 6. It could be Underhill that misses out, and then one of Dombrandt/Simmonds starts at 8, but based on the lack of love EJ has shown them in the past I'm leaning towards Curry at 8 for his non-experimental-side)
9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. May
12. Tuilagi
13. Slade
14. Watson (if fit - he went off with a knee injury on the weekend - Max Malins if he's not)
15. Steward

16. ??? - Hard to know who is top of the pecking order as Blamire/Dolly are both new, Blamire has two camps and impressed in the summer, though
17. Genge
18. Stuart
19. Ewels
20. Simmonds/Dombrandt (no idea who is top of the pecking order)
21. Randall
22. Smith
23. Malins (Radwan if Malins is starting)

Before I get ripped to shreds, this is what I think EJ would pick, not what I would pick

But he could, equally, bench Youngs and Farrell, have Genge as his starting loosehead etc.
Ohh interesting, Farrell at 10? would be a rare one for him.

I'd say so, yes. It's one thing being a guaranteed starter, but not great when you're losing all the time.

Hill would be a good fit for a lot of sides TBH. He is just what the Quins back row needs but I could see him being a brilliant fit for Exeter (probably wearing 7) or even as a Michael Rhodes replacement at Saracens.

For Lawrence it probably depends upon whether he wants to play 12 or 13. Wasps or Tigers would be the best fit IMO.

We're pretty well sorted for back rows....but id still take Ted Hill....

Imagine..
6 Hill
7 Wilson
8 Fearns

Welcome to the house of pain! :D

What's the deal with Basham?
Coming on nicely...getting a bit of gametime.

But Dean seems to like collecting back rowers....

Carl Fearns, Mark Wilson, Will Welch, Connor Collett (who always plays very well), Gary Graham, Philip Van der Walt, Callum Chick....plus some really talented kids...Rob Farrar (Mark Wilson MkII - a 6'3 version) and Guy Pepper, an openside...if you think Ben Earl is quick....you aint seen nothing! Think hes been training with Radwan.

Latest posts