• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Farrel has 90 odd caps more than Lawrence. Who would you pick on the basis of form and natural ability as a centre?
Experience is important, ability and most importantly team balance even more so in my opinion
This, caps aren't necessarily a sign of ability but a sign of coach favour. Charlie Ewels has 30 England caps for example and deserves a grand total of 0 of them. Players like Youngs were at least good in the past, Ewels was always mediocre.

As for Farrell having 90 caps and giving it his all, I would have expected a 90 cap veteran to have chased the intercept pass and played to the whistle, not stood there shouting after they were the one that ****** up.

Meanwhile, after winning player of the year in France, Mercers gets man of the match in the Baabaas vs NZ XV

We would be lunatics to ignore him if he becomes available for England again. Marchant also apparently performed well and both got a try.

Very much intending to find it somewhere to have a watch.
Which I'm pretty sure will mean somewhere illegal :(

Last edited:
I'm 13 minutes in, and he's just scored a try; having already been disallowed a perfectly good try that was knocked on - after being placed on the ground.

He's bloody everywhere so far. It's great to see that blue scrum cap buzzing about - it's going to hurt when he's wearing cherry and white underneath it.

ETA: and a second try disallowed (hands in the scrum by Marler)

ETA2: 3rd time lucky, 2 minutes after the first one.

Reactions: BPM
I really don't care how well Farrell trains, I haven't thought he's been a top class centre ever.

If we are taking about him at 10 that's a different story but jokes only sees him as a 12 and as a 12 he's never been good enough at international level. I also wonder how many 12s end up pushing the 10 put the way to just kick the ball aimlessly at first receiver when we are in a good attacking position.

I really don't care how well Farrell trains, I haven't thought he's been a top class centre ever.

If we are taking about him at 10 that's a different story but jokes only sees him as a 12 and as a 12 he's never been good enough at international level. I also wonder how many 12s end up pushing the 10 put the way to just kick the ball aimlessly at first receiver when we are in a good attacking position.
As a Bath fan I can tell you the phrase "The team trained well" lost any meaning a LONG time ago.

Have a Borthwick, Sanderson, Blackett combo

The Northern Takeover

Maybe Dick Cock as scrum coach - while he is from the Midlands he did spend a few years in Scotland so that drags him a few miles more north

Bit of a 180 on their last pitch.
IMO any promising English coaches are just not ready yet
Borthwick
Sanderson
Skivington
Vesty
TBH I'm of the school of thought that we should get whichever coach stands the best chance of getting results. At no point have I disliked that we have a non-English coach, I have disliked losing. Also, rather than simply demanding England have an English coach, maybe we should ask why there are so few English coaches on the international scene? Change is needed but not by simply saying they should be English, we should be in a situation where we have an English coach because they actually look like they are the best option.

Bit of a 180 on their last pitch.
IMO any promising English coaches are just not ready yet
Borthwick
Sanderson
Skivington
Vesty
Is Edwards an option? Or is he staying with france

I mentioned it in another thread ages ago but I reckon he's posturing himself to take over post-RWC, or at least mount a bid for it

Done a lot more media and analysis work since taking the France gig than he ever did when working for Wales, getting his name/face out there

He'd probably be my first choice tbh

Same. I don't massively care if our Head Coach is English or not, but I do think it helps to some degree. In any case, Edwards has the best CV IMO.

Yeah he's done all the hard yards, successful with Wasps, worked with Wales with limited resources, has succeeded it getting the French to have a passing interest in defence. Gonna step up to head coach one day of a national side and I'd rather we have him than someone else.

The other realistic British choice is Farrell and he should be nowhere near it whilst Jr. is near the frame.

The other realistic British choice is Farrell and he should be nowhere near it whilst Jr. is near the frame.
Pretty sure he renewed with Ireland recently (he would've been my first choice otherwise)

If Edwards can get a grasp on our awful discipline and tendency to leave gaping hole in defence, I think a lot else will naturally start to fall into place. At the moment we make life so difficult for ourselves with stupid, needless penalties. If we can get back to just being very difficult to beat like when Jones first came on the scene, that is a pretty good base to build a team around. South Africa are currently like that, they have been beaten a few times but rarely demolished.

If we can get Edwards and Robertson in together somehow, I might have to invest in a lot of tissues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts