• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England and Wales ponder Cup bid

B

Bullitt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7496251.stm

England and Wales could make a joint bid to host the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

Rugby Football Union chief executive Francis Baron and Welsh Rugby Union chairman David Pickering have held informal talks about the possibility.

The International Rugby Board (IRB) begins the tender process for the 2015 and 2019 tournaments this month by inviting "expressions of interest".

It will announce in July 2009 who will host the two events, with Japan also set to bid for the 2015 World Cup.

Japan controversially missed out to New Zealand for the right to host the 2011 edition, with South Africa - the other country to miss out then - another possible 2015 bidder.

Baron and Pickering discussed the prospect of a joint England-Wales bid at the IRB's summit in Hong Kong last week.

Their previous meetings on the subject have been described as "positive".

The RFU is understood to be setting up a special group to discuss the proposals and Wales have been encouraged by their success in hosting last month's Junior World Championship.

The next step would be for the plans to go before the boards of the respective unions for approval, before a formal application to host the World Cup is submitted.

An RFU spokesman said: "No decisions have been taken or will be taken until we receive the tender documents from the IRB."

The bidding process is a notoriously political affair with unions bartering for votes, often leading to matches being staged in several countries, as happened in France 2007, when games were also played in Edinburgh and Cardiff.

Japan, with England legends Martin Johnson and Jason Leonard among their backers, were widely expected to be handed the 2011 tournament.

But New Zealand were awarded host status in a secret vote amid accusations of a carve-up among the sport's major nations.

The 2011 tournament is not expected to generate anything like the same revenue as the previous two World Cups, in Australia in 2003, and in France last year, however.

The IRB is thus expected to return to one of its 'bankers' in 2015 - with England or South Africa the most likely venue - although chairman Bernard Lapasset indicated rugby might be ready to broaden its horizons.

"As the revenue generation is vital to our ongoing development plans we recognise that the World Cup has to be held in one of our senior core markets on a regular basis," Lapasset said.

"However, the commercial success of the tournament also means we can now consider placing the tournament in new developing markets to assist the game's strategic growth."

The 2007 World Cup was the most successful in the tournament's 20-year history, with 2.25 million fans attending the matches, up to 4.2 billion watching worldwide on television, and an economic impact of 4 billion euros (£3.18 billion) in France, according to IRB figures.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If Japan don't get it in 2015 I will have lost all faith in the IRB & international rugby as a whole.

I am supportive of a new nation hosting the world cup, but not Japan. They're rated like 18th in then world and wont really get a good turnout and are just generally not a good choice. Perhaps Argentina or Pacific Islands. I would even prefer England than Japan

I am supportive of a new nation hosting the world cup, but not Japan. They're rated like 18th in then world and wont really get a good turnout and are just generally not a good choice. Perhaps Argentina or Pacific Islands. I would even prefer England than Japan[/b]
Yet you are fine with New Zealand hosted 2011? Despite inadequate facilities and judging by the crowds this season, falling crowds?

The Japanese go nuts over sports. The crowds would not be a problem what-so-ever.

Well they're announcing both 2015 and 2019 - this is probably because they 2015 is going to England and Wales but they want to avoid criticism by announcing that it's going to Japan or Argentina in 2019 on the same day.

Personally I'd prefer it if England hosted 2015 alone. Having a few world cups 'spill over' into Wales cheapens it a bit. Also because Scotland is likely to be independent by then and there is going to be a concentrated political attempt to turn England and Wales into Englandandwales.

Yeah I agree with you mate, would this make it the third world cup that has had a match (or matches) played in Wales? I find that fairly ridiculous, much as I found a match being played at Murrayfield last year ridiculous.

Japan have to get the World Cup in 2015. For the good of the sport the major competition in world rugby has to go to some of the smaller nations.

I am supportive of a new nation hosting the world cup, but not Japan. They're rated like 18th in then world and wont really get a good turnout and are just generally not a good choice. Perhaps Argentina or Pacific Islands. I would even prefer England than Japan
[/b]
Japan would put an awesome tournament on. They have the facilities and the crowds would show up in big numbers. They have more rugby clubs than we do in Wales fercryinoutloud!!

I am supportive of a new nation hosting the world cup, but not Japan. They're rated like 18th in then world and wont really get a good turnout and are just generally not a good choice. Perhaps Argentina or Pacific Islands. I would even prefer England than Japan [/b]

sure about that? Japan aren't highly rated in Football either (FIFA Ranking - 34), but they (along with South Korea) put on one hell of a show when the Football World Cup was there. For crying out loud, they have a stadium with a pitch that can slide out so the grass gets more sun... But yeah, Rugby is Japans 3rd favourite sport, and they love it, even if they aren't all that good, so it'd be brilliant for them to have it. Am still annoyed that New Zealand got it ahead of them for 2011. Can't see them having it for 2015 though, dunno if it's on purpose or not, but all of the last WC Hosts have followed a pattern: SH, NH, SH, NH, SH, NH
So can see it going to a NH country. Was surprised that Wales and England are doing a joint bit, considering they've both had games from at least 2 (or in Wales's 3) WC's. I was sure Scotland and Ireland would either do a joint bid or at least separate bids. Wouldn't mind having half of a WC here in Wales, but would much prefer it to go to a country like Japan, Argentina or Italy, who've already got some awesome stadiums, and who's rugby culture would get a huge boost if they got the World Cup there.

BTW, did anyone hear about the RWC 2011 qualifying starting in the Caribbean? For once the IRB did something right and let them have the honor of starting it off. Trinidad and Tobago won the competition I think.

Can't see them having it for 2015 though, dunno if it's on purpose or not, but all of the last WC Hosts have followed a pattern: SH, NH, SH, NH, SH, NH. So can see it going to a NH country.[/b]
Japan is in the Northern Hemisphere!

I really hope the IRB don't let Englandandwales host it. :rahh: Why isn't Ireland making a bid? Save us!

Sorry, Internet has been out for the last few days what did I mi-

Oh god...oh dear god no...no...NOOO BLOODY WALES!

Oh god...oh dear god no...no...NOOO BLOODY WALES!
[/b]
D: At least we have mine-shafts to use as accomodations.
"What have you got Prestwick? Nothing! You've got nothing! NOTHING!!!!" /Zoolander.

Oh god...oh dear god no...no...NOOO BLOODY WALES! [/b]

Hmm, maybe if you knew how to run a tournament then you might not have asked for our help then ... hey ... ever thought of that?

And from what I've heared RFU approached the WRU for the joint bid! :bleh!:

For me rather see it in 2019 for Wales and England! 2015 should deffo go to Japan, they were screwed over for the 2011 WC and for anyone to say that Japan is not the great idea, look at the Football World Cup they hosted, they did a great job and it inspired the nation and have subsequently benefited from that and more people now play football! The same will happen with rugby!

The reason why Wales have been included is because they successfully ran a 1999 World Cup, Helped the 2007 WC to some sucess and have just hosted a very successful U20 World Cup. Not only that people do actually like coming to Wales (Yes it maybe hard for you Prestwick to understand that <_< ) for the culture, greenery etc!

Again 2015 should be Japan!

<div class='quotemain'> Sorry, Internet has been out for the last few days what did I mi-

Hmm, maybe if you knew how to run a tournament then you might not have asked for our help then ... hey ... ever thought of that?

[/b][/quote]

Who the **** cares?! Neither of them should be bidding! So the RFU asked the WRU, whoopie-frickin'-do! I completely 100% agree with you. 2015 should be the year of the Rising Sun!

I'll tell you how the meeting in Hong Kong between Baron and Pickering went on down:

<Baron> And with out forces combined-
<Pickering> We've got the Millenium Stadium! ^_^
<Baron> -we'll be able to take OVER THE WORLD!!
<Baron> Er..-
<Baron> Stop that no-
<Baron> Stop!
<Baron> Stop sayin-
<Baron> STOP I-

Moments later, Pickering had to be sedated...for his own good. The WRU's management crisis continues...

We've got...Wales :D
[/b]
You should create a video advertising Japan and their sporting facilities and accomodations and send it to the iRB. Maybe then they'll give it to Japan.

"And as you can see here, Japan Stadium can hold 1,000,000,000 people and contains some state-of-the-art training facilities such as hoverboards and robotic goal posts that can sense whether the ball has passed the posts or not, and can stamp on a player if he gets out of line." - Magnifique!

"And as you can see here, Japan Stadium can hold 1,000,000,000 people and contains some state-of-the-art training facilities such as hoverboards and robotic goal posts that can sense whether the ball has passed the posts or not, and can stamp on a player if he gets out of line." - Magnifique! [/b]

Well, that'll be the end of McCaw then.

"In rememberance for Richard McCaw, died in November 2015 after a robotic foot stamped on him while he was using hands in the ruck.."

<div class='quotemain'>
"And as you can see here, Japan Stadium can hold 1,000,000,000 people and contains some state-of-the-art training facilities such as hoverboards and robotic goal posts that can sense whether the ball has passed the posts or not, and can stamp on a player if he gets out of line." - Magnifique! [/b]

Well, that'll be the end of McCaw then.

"In rememberance for Richard McCaw, died in November 2015 after a robotic foot stamped on him while he was using hands in the ruck.."
[/b][/quote]
:D

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Sorry, Internet has been out for the last few days what did I mi-

[/b][/quote]

Who the **** cares?! Neither of them should be bidding! So the RFU asked the WRU, whoopie-frickin'-do! I completely 100% agree with you. 2015 should be the year of the Rising Sun!

I'll tell you how the meeting in Hong Kong between Baron and Pickering went on down:

<Baron> And with out forces combined-
<Baron> -we'll be able to take OVER THE WORLD!!
<Baron> Er..-
<Baron> Stop that no-
<Baron> Stop!
<Baron> Stop sayin-
<Baron> STOP I-

Moments later, Pickering had to be sedated...for his own good. The WRU's management crisis continues...
[/b][/quote]
Good enough for him! He nearly ran my mother over the other day, the *******!!!

All jokes and petty sniping aside, I agree with Cymro. Japan SHOULD get the 2015 bid.

I mean, at the very least give them the merchandising contract! Look at what they produce normally!

potato-shirt.jpg

I rest my case...

EDIT: They already did France's official merchandise for the 2007 RWC:

france-shirt.jpg

Latest posts