England EPS 2016/17 season.

LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester
Does Eddie have free rein now over the squad?

Like he now can pick his 33 without worrying about limited changes?

I would go with personally:
1) Marler, Mullan, Vunipola (Genge for Marler if Marler head still not in the game so to speak)
2) Hartley, George, Taylor (Reckon Taylor at Wasps will over take Cowan dickie unless he learns how to throw)
3) Cole, Hill, Brookes (Brookes gets by due to lack of options sink has a chance if he starts for Quins)
4/5) Itoje, Launchbury, Kruis, Lawes
6) Robshaw, Harrison/Clifford,
7) Haskell, Underhill, (Or Clifford and Harrison in it if no Underhill)
8) Vunipola, Beaumont
(18)
9) Youngs, Care, Robson
10) Farrell, Ford
11) Watson, Yarde
12) Manu, Slade (With T'eo or Devot/Hill/Mallinder being Manu's injury replacement)
13) JJ, Daly
14) Nowell, May (Assuming Roko is not ever going to get picked)
15) Brown, Goode (Ewwwwwwww) (Would have Haley if he can continue his form over Goode)
(15)

Would also have a Saxons (Not that it is picked start of season i think anyway)
1) Genge/Auterac, Hepburn
2) Cowan-Dickie, McGugian/Heywood
3) Sink/Brookes, Cooper-Wooley
4/5) Attwood, Barrow, Robinson, Ewels
6) Ewers, Williams
7) Kvesic, O'Connor
8) Hughes (Just for Lol's),

9) Simpson, ?
10) Cips, Burns
11) Wade, Lewington
12) Mallinder, Devoto/Hill (whoever wins at Exeter)
13) Thompkins, James
14) Roko, Addison
15) Haley, Miller

I would get such a chub on if Hughes doesn't make the EPS.
Considering Eddie's never mentioned selecting him, is a huge fan of Binny and has name dropped Beaumont as a real talent has me hoping we shun the merc

I don't think he can ever make more than 10 changes at a time.

Oh i thought he could only make 10 changes from the Original EPS that he picks for the AI's.

I would get such a chub on if Hughes doesn't make the EPS.
Considering Eddie's never mentioned selecting him, is a huge fan of Binny and has name dropped Beaumont as a real talent has me hoping we shun the merc

Yep would love it.

LHP: Marler, Vunipola, Genge. I see no point in keeping Mullan around, he's not young enough to be considered a future prospect and isn't as good as Marler or Mako. Get Genge the EPS experience.

H: Hartley, George, LCD. At Chiefs LCD nails his line outs, which makes me think that the reason he can't for England is nerves. Give him more experience, build his international confidence and he could fit into the England side very well (A powerful, ball carrying hooker)

THP: Cole, Hill, Sinckler. Brookes has been poor for the Saxons. He's gotten too fat, if/when he ups his fitness he can get a look in.

Locks: Itoje, Kruis, Lawes, Launchbury. Standard really.

BSF: Robshaw

OSF: Harrison, Haskell. Underhill's time will come, but he's 19. No pint throwing him right in at the deep end. Sadly, I don't think Kvesic's time will ever come. He's just not the kind of player Eddie wants. The more physical Harrison and Underhill will always get the look in over him.

N8: Vunipola, Clifford. I don't want to see Hughes in an England shirt, and I don't see the point in dropping Clifford for Beaumont

SH: Robson, Care, Youngs

FH: Farrell, Ford

LW: May, Watson

IC: Slade, Tuilagi. If Tuilagi injured then get Mallinder in for some experience in the EPS.

OC: JJ, Daly. I know it's controversial taking Daly as a 13 rather than an 8, but I really think he could be good at OC if given a chance there.

RW: Nowell, Yarde

FB: Brown, Haley. Goode's not gonna get game time so there's no point dragging him along any longer. Get Haley some experience in the EPS.

The team I'd like to see:
1. Marler
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Itoje
5. Kruis
6. Robshaw
7. Haskell
8. Vunipola
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. May/Yarde depending on May's form
12. Faz
13. JJ
14. Nowell
15. Watson

16. George
17. Mako
18. Hill
19. Lawes
20. Harrison
21. Robson
22. Slade
23. Daly

Last edited:
LCD's lineouts haven't been that great for Chiefs, to be fair. Not terrible but not amazing - if Tom Youngs gets dropped despite being great at Tigers i struggle to see why LCD gets a free pass.
I know I bang on about it a lot but I truly believe Taylor is better at pretty much everything than LCD. He's also comfortably the best hooking hooker in the country, and Eddie is pretty old school so should appreciate that (though I wouldn't be surprised to see that coached out of TT at wasps, as it's something dimes values really highly, but Wasps current hookers aren't known for their striking)

I'd love to see Beaumont for England but do agree that it'd be hard to overtake Clifford because of his versatility. Josh could probably do a job at 6 but he's an 8, really, who can cover lock. We've already got a million locks who can cover flanker.
The only way I can see it is if Clifford gets literally zero time at 8 for Quins (as Eddie said he sees him as an 8 in the long term) and Underhill comes in, which would leave us short on 8 cover.

Last edited:
Am i the only one who thought Clifford was younger than Beaumont.

Looking into it Beaumont is a month younger!!!

Must be because Beaumont wasn't in the age groups.

With Easter retired, all of Clifford's Quins game time will be at 8. So no chance for Beaumont really, unless there were injuries to Billy and Cliff.

As for TT vs LCD, I don't think TT is physical enough for Jones. LCD is a big, strong, powerful ball carrying hooker and I think that's what Jones will want coming off the bench. I will say though, that of George, LCD and Taylor, Taylor is the only 1 I can see starting a test match. The other 2 seem very much like impact subs. So
Maybe when Hartley's phased out, we're looking at TT 2, with LCD/George battling for 16.

Am i the only one who thought Clifford was younger than Beaumont.

Looking into it Beaumont is a month younger!!!

Must be because Beaumont wasn't in the age groups.

He was a fly half until not too long ago wasn't he? God knows why. If he'd played most of his rugby in the forwards he could be an incredible 8 by now, better than Vunipola, but as it is he doesn't have the grit needed to be a real back rower.

Yeah, Beaumont's injury at Six Nations time really did for him, unfortunately. Would've likely gotten a bench appearance or two during that, started the Wales game pre-Summer Tour and then fought it out for the bench spot with Launch/Lawes/Clifford.
A steep hill to climb, now, but if he plays as well as he did last season then it's not completely out of the question, he really was excellent last season. His shoulder's, apparently, fully healed in time for the start of pre-season so he should hit the ground running in September.

So he can spend the rest of his career on the injury list?
Sounds like a plan.

I thought Jones could change the entire EPS now.

Anyway...

LHP - Don't think he'll bother adding Mullan to squad again, think he can stick him safely with the Saxons
HK - Suspect LCD will continue to get the nod over Taylor, more of a battering ram
THP - Not sure he'll bother with third choice TH either
LK - Same
BR -

I think Beaumont might get in ahead of Clifford actually. I'm not sure Jones is that impressed with him. His versatility is of limited use if Jones doesn't trust him to start at flanker. Or at least, he might get in ahead of Ewers (in EPS but didn't tour).

Interested in what he does with Hughes.

SH - Please a space for Robson. Please.
FH - Same for now I suspect but would love Cips to get a go.
C - Tuilagi Slade Te'o Joseph Daly
W - Suspect the three that toured
FB - Hoping Haley might sneak ahead of Goode considering how Goode just wasn't involved.

Quick question - if Jones has seen Haskell as a physical "6 1/2", and setting aside some distaste for mercenary values, why would Nathan Hughes not be a likely replacement in the EPS?
Covers 8 if Billy goes off knackered, brings huge weight and physicality (and some speed) - good hands and a credible rugby brain.. Could he not out Hask the Hask?
Balance in the back row from an outright 7 - Underhill if he is able to sustain his development, perhaps Harrison - I am not a huge Kvesic fan....

Quick question - if Jones has seen Haskell as a physical "6 1/2", and setting aside some distaste for mercenary values, why would Nathan Hughes not be a likely replacement in the EPS?
Covers 8 if Billy goes off knackered, brings huge weight and physicality (and some speed) - good hands and a credible rugby brain.. Could he not out Hask the Hask?
Balance in the back row from an outright 7 - Underhill if he is able to sustain his development, perhaps Harrison - I am not a huge Kvesic fan....

Many on here want English born or raised players only despite the rules allowing residential qualification.

Jones will not care how his team are qualified to play for him!

Not really a role Hughes performs with any regularity. Interesting idea - he probably could do it.

Many on here want English born or raised players only despite the rules allowing residential qualification.

Jones will not care how his team are qualified to play for him!

But Jones does talk about having a massive passion and desire to play for England. Maybe if it's about money Hughes doesn't have the passion? I'm just hoping.

I don't think he has the work rate to fill the role Hask does ATM, and that is what was so outstanding about Hask this series, his work rate. That's why I'd rather see Ewers replace him. A truly massive carrier, Vunipola sized, yet still has a huge work rate in defence and at the break down. I think him, with Harrison/Underhill and 7 would be a great balance in the back row and has the physicality that's needed in this England team.

Toby - weren't you advocating Ewers yesterday?

Tigs - it's not Beaumont you need, but Morgan.

Hell will freeze over before I'd pick Hill AND Sinckler over Brookes. Don't forget pre injury most people would've played him over Cole. He'll be back and unlike any of the others he can cover LH too.

Agree with those sceptical on LCD. As well as physicality Jones has also put great store in the basics - I think he'll be quite attracted to TT as someone who doesn't think that channel one is BBC1's alter ego.

Like it or not Hughes will be in. End of.

One great thing about the Aussies is that they're real believers in youth. I'd like to see EJ reserve a couple of spaces to give experience to up and comers who are likely to feature in a year or two if not immediately. Thinking of Mallinder and Underhill in particular.

It'll be interesting to see how the guys to went to Aus but didn't play (Genge, Sinkler, Te'o, Goode, Slade) fit in if they keep their form up.

Were they on the tour as part of some overall strategy or simply because there was no one else fit/in form?

Would love to see Haley in over Goode. Might be a short term replacement/challenger for Brown.

Latest posts