TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_47902843_thommobody226.jpg

England hooker Steve Thompson has left Brive and is set to join Leeds Carnegie, according to the French club.

The 2003 World Cup winner arrived at Brive from Northampton in 2007 and resumed playing after a neck injury looked to have ended his career.

He has played in 22 Top 14 and Heineken Cup matches for Brive this season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/leeds/8699489.stm

Would've thought he'd stick it out in France until he retires,
Not a bad signing for Leeds, who are getting stronger each season.

Good signing - quality player. Waste of the salary cap with ***terell there though?

Yeah. ***terell is one of the best hookers in England in my opinion, and it'll be a shame to see one or the other loose out, but depth in squad is very important, and it's a great signing for the club.

Quality signing. The guy is still in his prime at 31 too so he has a few more years in the tank.

Should please Leeds no end!

BBC Changing their story now...

Leeds Carnegie in talks with hooker Steve Thompson

Leeds Carnegie are in talks with Steve Thompson but have not signed him, says director of rugby Andy Key.
The England hooker, 31, has left Brive and the French club claimed a deal with Leeds had already been done.
"We are in talks with Steve and his agent and are very interested in signing him," Key told BBC Radio Leeds.
"However, people sometimes put two and two together and make five unfortunately and we have not signed Steve as yet."

The 2003 World Cup winner arrived at Brive from Northampton in 2007 and resumed playing after a neck injury looked to have ended his career.
He played in 22 Top 14 and Heineken Cup matches for this season.
"Once we heard he wanted to come back to England we became very interested," said Key.
"We are talking very seriously to his agent and the next few days will be quite interesting.
"He is a class act and someone that I think any club would be interested in and we will continue discussions with him and his agent in the next few days."
Thompson, who made his international debut in February 2002 and has 55 caps, is in England's squad for the summer tour to Australia and New Zealand.
He will contest the hooking duties with Lee Mears after Dylan Hartley pulled out of the tour with a knee injury.

So is there a better offer on the table and by whom I wonder?

Leeds close in on England hooker Steve Thompson

<!-- S BO --> <!-- S IIMA --> <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="226"> <tbody><tr><td>
_47902843_thommobody226.jpg
Hooker Steve Thompson formerly played in England at Northampton

</td></tr> </tbody></table> <!-- E IIMA --> <!-- S SF -->England's World Cup winning hooker Steve Thompson has confirmed that he is close to returning to the Premiership to play for Leeds next season.
After leaving Brive, the French club claimed a deal had already been done with Leeds for 31-year-old Thompson.
But the former Northampton player says he has some minor details to sort out before completing a move to Headingley.
"I'm very close, just a couple of bits to go through," said Thompson. "Other than that I'm going to be at Leeds."
<!-- E SF -->"Once we heard he wanted to come back to England we became very interested," said Leeds director of rugby Andy Key.
"He is a class act and someone that I think any club would be interested in."
<!-- S IBOX --> <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="231"> <tbody><tr> <td width="5">
o.gif
</td> <td class="sibStdQuote"> There's only one club I've spoken to. I'm really happy and we're almost there.

Leeds target Steve Thompson on his imminent move to Headingley

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- E IBOX --> Thompson, who came out of retirement two years ago, says he is very impressed with the set-up under Key and head coach Neil Back at Headingley.
"I spoke to Andy Key and Neil Back and had a real good conversation with them and I'm really excited about the challenge there.
"There's only one club I've spoken to. I'm really happy and we're almost there.
"They've got a great set-up and I go there with a bit of experience but willing to learn. They're going to have a tight knit group that I want to get involved with."
The 2003 World Cup winner arrived at Brive from Northampton in 2007, having returned to the game following what looked to be a career-ending neck injury.
He has proved his fitness, having played this season for Brive in 22 Top 14 and Heineken Cup matches. And Thompson, who made his international debut in February 2002 and has 55 caps, is in England's squad for the summer tour to Australia and New Zealand.
He will contest the hooking duties with Lee Mears after Dylan Hartley pulled out of the tour with a knee injury.

Latest posts