• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England in New Zealand

A

An Tarbh

Well we've had the Twenty20s and England have been fairly convincing with their 2 victories, particularly enjoyed Mascheranas' 4 Sixes in the first game, didn't see the second game so can't really comment on that one.

Will England be as dominant in the ODIs or will we see a stronger performance from the Black Caps, how much are injuries playing a part this season for New Zealand.

Can England continue the decent one day form they've shown under Collingwood's captaincy or will that progress be halted by the Black Caps.

Either way should be an interesting tour.

Your thoughts???

The problem is with England's extremely variable form. It is nice that they have gotten used to this "Twenty20 lark" and might even be able to transfer that form to ODIs as well but transferring that into the important test matches is going to be a huge challenge for an England frantically trying to rebuild before the next Ashes series.

The problem is with England's extremely variable form. It is nice that they have gotten used to this "Twenty20 lark" and might even be able to transfer that form to ODIs as well but transferring that into the important test matches is going to be a huge challenge for an England frantically trying to rebuild before the next Ashes series.
[/b]

England look like an extremely organised outfit for once. Collingwood is world class and a great leader.

Whilst Ryan "looks to cool to be a" Sidebottom is more dangerous with the ball than his appearance will tell us.

We are **** at the moment. Ryder, Taylor, How etc... such a young team with absolutely no real leadership. All our players have retired at once so there are no real old heads in the team to allow the new comers an easier transition into the international arena.

I predict a 4-1 series win to England. The 20-20's are never a real hint as to who's the dominant side going into a ODI tournament, but we really look as though we will struggle.

At least we get the pleasure of listening to David Lloyd commentate, he's a legend! But then again, we are also stuck with Hussein and Athers <_<

I think we've got to be realistic in that any team that loses the quality of Astle, Fleming, McMillan, Bond (throw in injured Oram and Vettori) in one season is going to struggle. Plus there's no Cairns down the order and McCullum's now opening, all of a sudden our reliable lower order-tail is non existant.

It certainly is hard to guage anything from the Twenty20s, even at the start of the match the Sky lads were saying that New Zealand looked much sharper than England when practising in the field but it was certainly the opposite during the game.

Interesting first part of the game, pitch is very slow. England win the toss and are in all sorts of trouble.

kiwis all over them like a rash. England running between the wickets has been shockin gso far.
104/8 wtf is going on.

36.1 overs. shocking, will be interesting to see how the kiwis go

Interesting first part of the game, pitch is very slow. England win the toss and are in all sorts of trouble.

kiwis all over them like a rash. England running between the wickets has been shockin gso far.
104/8 wtf is going on.

36.1 overs. shocking, will be interesting to see how the kiwis go
[/b]

Yeah 3 run outs.... wtf?

Let's hope we plow through the target in less than 20 overs, otherwise it will be very dour.

But yeah, this is the complete opposite of what everyone had in mind building up to to it.

z_traincrash.jpg

Why are you so surprised?! Not everyone had in mind what the result was going to be! What did I say?! VARI-A-BLE FORM! Extremely variable form!

I think this just further confirms my suspicions that England, like India, after about 20 to 25 years still have no f***ing clue how to play the one day game.

A good comeback from the NZers after a pounding in the Twenty20s. NZ read the conditions far better than the English. Why they didn't select Mascarenhas is beyond me as that pitch suited him right down to the wire.

A good comeback from the NZers after a pounding in the Twenty20s. NZ read the conditions far better than the English. Why they didn't select Mascarenhas is beyond me as that pitch suited him right down to the wire. [/b]

The Mascarenhas select (or lack of) was interesting- I read somewhere it had to do with the English selectors keeping faith in the team that performed well in Sri Lanka. I wouldn't be surprised if Mascarenhas is included in the next match, either at the expense of Bopara or James Anderson (depending on the balance of the side the English selectors want). Mascarenhas's bowling is certainly suited to most New Zealand pitches, and his batting can be destructive (as long as you bowl spinners at him - he looks pretty hopeless against pace bowling!)

<div class='quotemain'> A good comeback from the NZers after a pounding in the Twenty20s. NZ read the conditions far better than the English. Why they didn't select Mascarenhas is beyond me as that pitch suited him right down to the wire. [/b]

The Mascarenhas select (or lack of) was interesting- I read somewhere it had to do with the English selectors keeping faith in the team that performed well in Sri Lanka. I wouldn't be surprised if Mascarenhas is included in the next match, either at the expense of Bopara or James Anderson (depending on the balance of the side the English selectors want). Mascarenhas's bowling is certainly suited to most New Zealand pitches, and his batting can be destructive (as long as you bowl spinners at him - he looks pretty hopeless against pace bowling!)
[/b][/quote]

Bring him in for Bopara I'd say. Gives them another bowling option, Anderson and co can still cause a lot of trouble for us so I doubt they will replace one of their 3 pacemen.

The thing I don't get is why Tim Southee has been dropped.

The thing I don't get is why Tim Southee has been dropped. [/b]

To be fair Southee was not really dropped - he was just not selected for the ODI series when they originally selected the ODI and 20/20 squads. He is currently over in Malaysia at the Under 19 World Cup. I don't think that he's quite ready for international cricket yet (despite his good performance in the second 20/20 match), but it won't be long at all before he is a regular in the top team.

We need to keep this steady development going. We're not world class in player development, but we have some decent talent coming through. It's needed with the massive recent drain.

Yeah I think Southee would have benefited staying with the Black Caps rather than joining the NZ U19's, would have been a better option in the long run.

Just look at what India have done with Ishant Sharma, he's only 19 and he's been tearing through the Aussie batsmen his summer and he's only going to get better.

Time we grew some balls, and got rid of that chump Bracwewell for that matter. You know when Brace's has done his job when he transforms a batsmens average from 40 down to 20 or a bowlers from 20 up to 40. Seriously, the guy's a walking disaster.

I have said many times that a coaches work lives on for about two years after he finishes and the first two years of Bracewell were the only good ones.

Yeah I think Southee would have benefited staying with the Black Caps rather than joining the NZ U19's, would have been a better option in the long run.

Just look at what India have done with Ishant Sharma, he's only 19 and he's been tearing through the Aussie batsmen his summer and he's only going to get better.

Time we grew some balls, and got rid of that chump Bracwewell for that matter. You know when Brace's has done his job when he transforms a batsmens average from 40 down to 20 or a bowlers from 20 up to 40. Seriously, the guy's a walking disaster. [/b]

While Southee may have benefited from staying in the BlackCaps I think at this time he is not actually good enough to be there - he is simply a very talented young cricketer with still a lot to learn - if you look at him domestic record in List A (one day) matches he has hardly set the world on fire :
5 matches, 46 overs, 5 wickets, average 49.20, rpo 5.40.

While his first class record is more impressive: 9 matches, 31 wickets @ 29.29 I still don't think that warrants him a place in the side.... yet

I'd wait until he performs consistently at a domestic level before I rush him in the Blackcaps. Ishant Sharma of India is another matter - he performed outstandingly in there domestic cricket for a season before he was called up to the national team.

ishant sharmas awesome! but comparing southee to sharma is apples to oranges. Southees got talent but as darwin_23 says he hasn't proved himself at domestic level. The point of southee playing in the 20/20 was to give him a taste of international cricket without the pressure of a game that means something.

On the topic of bracewell on the other hand i totally agree. Hes got to go. How he kept his job with John Wright waiting in the wings is beyond me.

well, another caning from the black caps yesterday :)

ryder and mccullum thrashed the england team with their display of power batting and stuff, great to watch.

and 3 run outs again by the english, i dont know what happened when they came out after the rain break.

was great to watch :D

3 run-outs and no involvement from Bell in any of them, well they'll be thankful for small mercies but it's scant consolation in a 10 wicket caning.

What is up with Shah and Bopara's running? How the hell can one team go from looking so good to being beaten like this? And why is it we're talking this way about England and not NZ for once? And when is Ian Smith going to commentate without his voice breaking on air???

Latest posts