TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
16662.2.jpg

England fly-half Toby Flood feels the pain

Despite a hugely successful start to their Six Nations campaign, England have shocked the sporting world by publicly admitting to overwhelming feelings of 'loneliness and isolation'.
England have begun this crucial Rugby World Cup year with a series of increasingly assured performances and, viewed externally, seem to be in fine fettle both on and off the field.
However, the RFU has revealed that its management, players and fans have been 'severely hurt' by recent disparaging comments from other nations and that the national game is suffering from 'depression'.
"Nobody likes us," said RFU spokesperson Jonathan Barker. "Let's not beat around the bush, they really don't. We may act like we revel in being hated, but we don't. At the end of the day when we take off the boots after a match we are just flesh and blood like everyone else. Sticks and stones hurt us, but so do nasty names."
Barker revealed that the sense of loneliness has become so severe that many players and RFU staff are undergoing some form of therapy to cope.
"We've been going around for years and years trying to keep our stiff upper lip," he said. "Making out we love being everyone's auld enemy, that we love to be the centre of everyone's bile and that it's an honour to be the team every one wants to beat.
"It's time we admitted that, sometimes, we just want to be loved. I mean, even our own press seem to enjoy disliking us. It's been hell since our 2003 World Cup win. The press have been so negative. How can we expect others to loves us when we can't even love ourselves?"
Barker revealed the decision to finally come clean to the public about the depression was made not long after French coach Marc Lièvremont gave his now-infamous pre-match interview in which he spoke of 'hating' the English.
"We acted like it was amusing when Lièvremont ripped into us," said one English player who wished to remain anonymous. "But it really upset me. I'm sorry Marc doesn't like our weather. And I wish we could have the same quality of life he claims the French and the Italians enjoy, but we can't. We don't have the climate and whatever else for that. But really, does he have to hate us? We aren't bad people are we? Can't we just be a 'World in Union' like that World Cup song? Can we at least strive for that? Is it too much to ask for a real brotherhood of rugby?"
The player went on to say that wins against Wales, Italy and France this past month have failed to dislodge the emptiness and despair that lingers over the English players in the dressing room after a match.
"Loneliness really is the most terrible poverty," said the player. "We feel so hollow in that dressing room, whether we win, lose or draw."
Top relationship expert and leading psychologist Dr. Andrew Richards claims that recent boastful statements by the likes of England fullback Ben Foden in which he spoke of Wales being like 'a little brother that needs to be put in his place' are simply masked cries for help.
"It's textbook stuff," he said. "In trying to mask their loneliness and sense of isolation they try to overcompensate by lashing out with lavish displays of defiance and anger. Why do you think Chris Ashton does those big swallow dives when he scores? He's simply covering up the team's collective feelings of alienation from the rest of the rugby world by strutting his stuff like a tough alpha male. Someone, anyone, really needs to come out and say that they like English rugby. Or at least say they don't hate it passionately."
The RFU are facing the problem head on and have hired a top consultancy firm to try to win back 'hearts and minds' with a 'Feel the Love Campaign'.
"We need to change ourselves, look in to the mirror," Richards said. "We must forgive and forget and try to see if by changing a few things perhaps our Celtic neighbours will be a little more friendly towards us. God knows I'm sick of sitting alone at IRB functions while the rest of the rugby world parties and jokes together on the other side of the room."
The 'Feel the Love' campaign is expected to kick off as soon as next month and may include the following:

• Appeal to London-based media to only refer to Jonny Wilkinson's World Cup winning drop goal in 2003 in every other match report rather than every single match report

• Chris Ashton to refrain from swan dives when scoring tries and, instead, to apologise profusely to opponents while placing ball down on try line in a subdued and sensitive manner

• Martin Johnson to smile at least twice during any media interview/appearance

• Parachuting RFU gift bundles of rugby balls, kit and beer into deprived parts of the world such as Pontypridd and Limerick

• Every team announcement made by management to be accompanied with a lengthy apology for various 'shameful deeds' committed during the height of the British Empire
Despite the public announcement from the RFU, no other national union has commented on the issue. Rumours are circulating that all non-English committee members of the IRB were having a 'cracking night out with mates' somewhere in Dublin and therefore unavailable for comment.

http://www.espnscrum.com/england/rugby/story/135693.html

Why do ESPN do these , this one was pretty good but the other were shite.

I thought it was hilarious!

Although that thing about the media is rubbish! Jeremy Guscott and co have been licking the hole of every player in an England shirt for the last 8 years

I don't mind the english as people :p :p - My gf's from the dark side of the bridge..... But its just the press that frustrates me - I guess everyone feels the same about their "rivals" press.
Funny article tho

Well its no surprise that some people dont like England especially seeing as we've beat everyone so far and i guess we can add Ireland to the list of people that hate us once we complete the grand slam. (Thats if there are any people in Ireland that like us anyway)

Marc Lièvremont said he hated english people. Lot of people will surely disagree, but in my opinion, that's why :

Personally I like english people, but it's true to say first thing you learn when you play rugby for the first time in France is : "You can only pass the ball backwards. And, english are our enemies."
One of our most favorite movie is Braveheart, especially the part when scottish show their butts to the english army ;)

That's a common thing to say we hate english. But we don't. We have a huge respect for you, and we hate you only when you're better than us. In 2007 we hated you so much, it was intense, because you've beaten us during our world cup when you were not that great. Then, english rugby became very poor, and we actually liked you, even loved your rugby during these autumn tests, when we were rubbish (we're still though) and you were great to watch. But it all ended with this 6N. I hate you so much right now, and I will till the WC, if you beat Ireland. Especially because you'll have the feeling to be the best team in NH. But if Ireland beat you, I will maybe hate you less... :)

In France, we "hate" english folk, but we like welsh, or irish, we are good friends with scottish. It's a fact Scotland are our most preferred team in this tournament. We just love Irish Spirit (we don't have it, and we just love that), and the way Wales can play. But we hate England. Why ? Deep in our common history, we've been enemies. But it was centuries ago, so it's not a good argument for me. But it's sure our hatred for England started here.

Second thing : I think it's more a tradition than everything else. And I think it's fun, it's great to hate somebody, but for us french, it's more a compliment than a bad thing. We have a great respect for you, but we can read in newspapers english don't like us, we're arrogant people, blablabla. And, worst thing of all, we have the feeling you don't care about us, and that's very annoying for a french. To be ignored is something we can't stand.

Third thing : in France we dislike winners. We love guys who fought to the end, even if they loose. When a big star become proud of his achievements, even if he deserved it, we hate him back. Thierry Henry, Franck Ribéry, Tony Parker, Olympique Lyonnais... they have lot of troubles with public opinion. We just love losers, but only when they fight to win of course. So I really think, when Lièvremont said he hated you, it was a compliment !

I think it's great to have this rivalry. I like it. But I hate you !

i can not believe parts of that article. the bit in which it says winning games against france and wales failed to dislodge the despair in the changing room,o yeah im sure the team after winning two of the most important matches of recent times were still thinking about what this might do to their reputation.
i understand that the marc lievremont attack was bit to personal if you will to england, but at the end of the day hes a bloody nut job. i would like to think that we revel in being every countries big game, the added pressure every game means something.
i being english and living in wales find that alot of the hatred does come from what we did in the past, but the hatred is strictly on a rugby level and that is the way it should be.

i can not believe parts of that article. the bit in which it says winning games against france and wales failed to dislodge the despair in the changing room,o yeah im sure the team after winning two of the most important matches of recent times were still thinking about what this might do to their reputation.
i understand that the marc lievremont attack was bit to personal if you will to england, but at the end of the day hes a bloody nut job. i would like to think that we revel in being every countries big game, the added pressure every game means something.
i being english and living in wales find that alot of the hatred does come from what we did in the past, but the hatred is strictly on a rugby level and that is the way it should be.

Hang on, are you trying to tell me that you think this article is disingenuous? I think you've seen right though this article.

WHoooooooooooooooooooosh

No one hates England until they're winning. Then everyone lines up for a bit of it. Love it.

If I had my druthers we would embrace this and march out to the Imperial March from Star Wars. **** an anthem, everyone jumps up and down on the spot going "Dunh-dunh-dunh-du-du-dunh". That gets you pumped.

Also, there's interesting parallels between the passing of our centres and Storm Troopers' accuracy...

I don't mind the english as people :p :p - My gf's from the dark side of the bridge..... But its just the press that frustrates me - I guess everyone feels the same about their "rivals" press.
Funny article tho

It's like Gavin & Stacey reversed!

But on a more serious note, I think as a country renowned for keeping a stiff upper lip while other countries get all cocky with us. I just think although it may hurt our feelings, when they verbally abuse us we then put them in their place with actions. I think the only reason Marc Livermont made the comments he did is because he knew that he was likely to lose so he was trying to crush our pride. And i think one thing we will always have is pride !

Last edited:
I don't think so. Honestly, I don't see Lièvremont tempting to crush your pride. He hates talking to medias... not as Mourinho for example, who tries to win a game before playing it. I'm not trying to defend him and his stupid talk, but c'mon, Lièvremont has one quality : he is far from being a liar or a hypocrit. He just says what he thinks. It was not calculated, it is clearly not his way of doing. Even if England was poor he'd just say the same thing.

Latest posts