• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England might be getting its own National Anthem

I'll flounce the country if its not Jerusalem.

This is good. People might hate us less if we stop singing about our queen, and maybe they'll even beat us less often.
I think it gives the other home nations an unfair advantage

I'm not really that keen for several reasons.

1) I've been singing "God save the Queen" as my national anthem for 31 years why does it need to be changed now?

2) I have to learn the bloody words and so does the wendyball team who are just finally learning the words to "god Save the Queen".

3) Jerusalem(which will win) has ambiguous legal position when it comes to wedding's, I couldn't have it at mine as I had a civil wedding and you not allowed anything remotely religious (actually we has more issue with Ave Maria). Some church's don't allow it because it's not really hymn. I'm not really keen on a song being our national anthem that can't be played at people's wedding's for whatever reason.

4) Again Jerusalem I'm tired of referring to us a Christian nation as we're quite blatantly not (although we do have a Christian based morality) most are probably really agnostics but just tick Christian census time because they feel that's what they are. Still only 60% of Britain call themselves Christian and statistics show that is rapidly dropping. Even with 60% I only know a few people who regularly attend Chruch and most of those are Catholics. If we are going to change I'd rather move to a secular anthem.

Then again I'm one of those nutjobs who think's we should ditch playing as separate countries in general as we only do it because we codified the sports no other country would get away playing as separate "countries".

Not a fan of Jerusalem due it its Christianity aspect.

Would rather stick with GOD save the queen.

Makes sense.

Playing as one wouldn't make any sense either.

Maybe not so much in Wales but Scotland is very different to England in a lot of ways.

And would Ireland work in that situation?

Not a fan of Jerusalem due it its Christianity aspect.

Would rather stick with GOD save the queen.

Makes sense.
My point is if we're switching we should go to secular one but that won't happen as it will be Jerusalem.
Playing as one wouldn't make any sense either.

Maybe not so much in Wales but Scotland is very different to England in a lot of ways.

And would Ireland work in that situation?
It already works for the Olympics, Northern Irish get to select who they play for, Scotland is told to get on board and manages fine. We essentially do this in Cricket as well as anyone Scottish who's good enough play's for England as does anyone Irish (although Ireland should have it's own Test team by now), the Welsh are already part of the team as it's actually England and Wales. So yeah can't see why it's a problem.

Interesting complication in Cricket which anthem do we play then?

Fat Les's version of Jerusalem is the best.

For sporting events I'd favour a nice long intro and then a rousing blast of the Land of Hope & Glory chorus. Then again, someone will doubtless argue that we're not mother of the free at all , but some sort of sinister oppressor...

My point is if we're switching we should go to secular one but that won't happen as it will be Jerusalem.
It already works for the Olympics, Northern Irish get to select who they play for, Scotland is told to get on board and manages fine. We essentially do this in Cricket as well as anyone Scottish who's good enough play's for England as does anyone Irish (although Ireland should have it's own Test team by now), the Welsh are already part of the team as it's actually England and Wales. So yeah can't see why it's a problem.

Interesting complication in Cricket which anthem do we play then?

Not in every sport. Scots refused to get on board with the GB Olympic Football team in 2012. If I remember right the team was pretty much just English and Welsh players (who didn't sing God Save the Queen too)

Also unifying the home nations full time is a terrible idea. Would ruin the international game and would stop a hell of a lot of good talent getting a chance to play at the top level.

You can't really compare it to Cricket either, as Rugby has a much bigger presence in Wales, Ireland and (as far as I know) Scotland. Been a fair few years since a Welsh player last played for the English Test team, so not like anywhere near the amount of Welsh talent is getting to the top level of cricket when compared to rugby.

Either way, we already do play as one team, once every 4 years! Doesn't need changing!

We've got our own anthem: God Save the Queen.
We just make the rest of Britain use it because we own them.

Personally I'd want Land of hope and glory, it's the sort of tune you can really belt out that you can't do so easily with Jerusalem in my opinion.

We've got our own anthem: God Save the Queen.
We just make the rest of Britain use it because we own them.

Kind of why I lean towards Britain getting a new one rather than England.

Rule Britannia or something.

Agree with ragerancher - Land Of Hope And Glory for me!

Would seem weird to go Jerusalem and have a national anthem with its ***le a city in a foreign country.

So yes, LOHAG for me... or Vienna by Ultravox. ;-)

Would seem weird to go Jerusalem and have a national anthem with its ***le a city in a foreign country.
Aye, but when the opening lines are:
And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

It makes sense :p

I've always been a big fan of Rule Britannia, for what it's worth - Don't think it'd work as an anthem (bar the chorus), but it's a belter at the last night of the proms :p

I'm also a big fan of I Vow To Thee. Certainly gets the emotions going:

Jerusalem would be a great fit, and probably get my vote. Also feels it's quite a "rugby" song as well (I know this isn't just a rugby issue, but still). Heard it belted out at a rugby funeral and it's something special.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to say...I agree with Land of Hope and Glory if the anthem is to change.

I think Jerusalem sucks. It just feels waffly to me. Like going to church for Christmas Mass, not cause you want to but cause your girlfriends family all are keen to - and inbetween drummer boy and Gloria in excelsis Deo - is some faintly familiar English hymn that people sort of mumble but still f#ck up the melody - except that one chick leading the choir who looks like a nerdy 18 year old - but is actually 38 so your kind of impressed.

For my knowledge that song is Jerusalem..

Jerusalem is dull as **** musically, really subdued. It's a bit Christian-droney. (I already done my time in the Catholic Church, never again.)

Land of Hope and Glory is way better, much more upbeat. The music gives crowds cues to belt out certain parts. No bit of Jerusalem beats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diiBa70F-rM#t=8m. Match-day, surrounded by 80k people, my throat will be sore for the next week belting that second last line out.

That said, the words to Jerusalem are a bit more interesting.

Fair point, there's no rousing chorus in Jerusalem.

It's why I've always said we should just go with The Trooper by Iron Maiden.

Bruce Dickinson waving the Union Flag > The Haka

Last edited by a moderator:
The last two lines of each verse work in its place for Jerusalem. It builds to a very definite crescendo. Perhaps the grammar school boy in me is showing, but I've never been in a crowd singing it that doesn't know how to belt it out and I actually find it quite emotional.

Ncurd - on 3 - surely any anthem will be caught somewhere, as either it mentions God and can't be used at civil weddings (that makes zero sense to me), or it doesn't and it's not a hymn and won't be usable in churches?

I like that Jerusalem annoys both sides of that though. It uses Jesus, but does not praise him. I like that sort of contrariness.

Latest posts