• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

tenor.gif

With the domestic season about to start, what are you really looking for from an Eng perspective?

My main wish is to see far more power and dominance up front. Achieve that and I think we have the backs to do some damage.

Player wise my main, undoubtedly forlorn, wish is for Binny and Manu to stay fit. Similarly Genge.

Then I want Youngs to rediscover his devil. He looks much more potent when he remembers to use his running game.

Then I want 2 flankers to nail down their starting spots. Don't really care who as long as Robshaw's not one of them and either a Curry or Underhill is in the 7 shirt. Shields has the right build and line out presence for 6, but let's see how he looks after a few months of the NH grind.

Then I want our locks to watch Retallick carefully. They're all good, but much of a muchness. I really want 2 to take their games to the next level and cement themselves as the clear first choices.

Then I want to see Big Joe given a shot. Could be an RWC wild card.

With the domestic season about to start, what are you really looking for from an Eng perspective?

My main wish is to see far more power and dominance up front. Achieve that and I think we have the backs to do some damage.

Player wise my main, undoubtedly forlorn, wish is for Binny and Manu to stay fit. Similarly Genge.

Then I want Youngs to rediscover his devil. He looks much more potent when he remembers to use his running game.

Then I want 2 flankers to nail down their starting spots. Don't really care who as long as Robshaw's not one of them and either a Curry or Underhill is in the 7 shirt. Shields has the right build and line out presence for 6, but let's see how he looks after a few months of the NH grind.

Then I want our locks to watch Retallick carefully. They're all good, but much of a muchness. I really want 2 to take their games to the next level and cement themselves as the clear first choices.

Then I want to see Big Joe given a shot. Could be an RWC wild card.

I'd like to see us stop pretending the breakdown doesn't exist, running straight and doing simple passes when there is an overlap and not repeatedly doing 1 out passes from a ruck to a static forward who then looks for the highest concentration of defenders and flops down in front of them.

I'd like to see us stop pretending the breakdown doesn't exist, running straight and doing simple passes when there is an overlap and not repeatedly doing 1 out passes from a ruck to a static forward who then looks for the highest concentration of defenders and flops down in front of them.
Silly me. I was confusing internationals with u12s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45347239

Seems like Watson will be back with enough time to get into some form, possibly for the 6N's, if not the summer internationals. Hopefully this time it is completely fixed and he can recover fully.
That January timeframe still seems absurdly optimistic to me - maybe the first stages of training, but even that seems optimistic. Then again, I'm working with weekend warriors, not elite athletes.

This is a re-tear of the original rupture; I'd be looking at 9-24 months (from however long ago the surgery was) before return to play; and 18-24 months before he's fully healed.
I'd be advising him to take as long as it takes; and not put any pressure on himself for a return by the 6N, or even by the RWC; but to concentrate on getting himself fit and healthy. if it goes again, then it's probably goodbye career.

Last edited:
So EJ has now lost 2 more of his back room team. Dean Benton, the head of sports science, and Dan Abrahams, the psychologist.

Wonder when we will get official info on the attacks coach or defence coach with the Autumn tests not too far away.

So EJ has now lost 2 more of his back room team. Dean Benton, the head of sports science, and Dan Abrahams, the psychologist.

Wonder when we will get official info on the attacks coach or defence coach with the Autumn tests not too far away.

So, these on top of Gustard walking plus the inability to find an attack coach? I'd like to believe in coincidences, but it all smacks of something being rotten at the core.

The RFU clearly have concerns following recent form and behaviour and will surely want whoever takes us to the RWC to also be at the helm throughout the 6N. That means the AIs could be make or break for Jones; anything less than 3 wins and being competitive against the ABs may well see the knives out.

Ben Curry is 8lbs (I think?) heavier than Tom from a pre-season programme, wouldn't be surprised to see us increasingly have a double curry backrow.

Ben at 6 and Tom at 7 or the other way round? England's version of the Pooper;).

Shame Jones didn't pick Ben in the six nations when Tom was injured. Would have learnt a damn sight more than playing Robshaw again at 7. Such a shame that that time was wasted.

Diamond prob wants to play him as a lock.
Hooker.
Sale make all our 7s play hooker (Briggs, Taylor, cruse, Neild, Dolly)
It's EJ that makes back and 2nd rows interchangeable

Easy mistake to make though as both EJ and Dimes look like a bulldog chewing a wasp

Latest posts