• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

Against Ireland in Dublin id go:

1. Genge
2. George
3. Sinckler (Balance of starting 1-3 to 16-18 should compete with Irish scrum, Healy like to start and Mcgrath finish so Cole to counter Mcgrath)
4. Itoje
5. Lawes
6. Wilson
7. Curry
8. Vunipola

9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. Nowell (Against Ireland I wouldn't play both May & Cokanasiga so its one or the other)
12. Teo
13. Tuilagi (Like the idea of both of these starting against the Irish, against it in most other games though)
14. May
15. Brown (Why else have him in the squad if you aren't going to play him against Conor Murray?)

16. Cowan-Dickie
17. Vunipola (Should have a great impact with Robson coming on too)
18. Cole (Williams just simply isn't a better player, YET.)
19. Launchbury (close with Kruis)
20. Shields (Close with Hughes)
21. Robson
22. Ford (Robson and Ford when game opens up..Ford to replace either Teo or Tuilagi)
23. Daly

Against Ireland in Dublin id go:

1. Genge
2. George
3. Sinckler (Balance of starting 1-3 to 16-18 should compete with Irish scrum, Healy like to start and Mcgrath finish so Cole to counter Mcgrath)
4. Itoje
5. Lawes
6. Wilson
7. Curry
8. Vunipola

9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. Nowell (Against Ireland I wouldn't play both May & Cokanasiga so its one or the other)
12. Teo
13. Tuilagi (Like the idea of both of these starting against the Irish, against it in most other games though)
14. May
15. Brown (Why else have him in the squad if you aren't going to play him against Conor Murray?)

16. Cowan-Dickie
17. Vunipola (Should have a great impact with Robson coming on too)
18. Cole (Williams just simply isn't a better player, YET.)
19. Launchbury (close with Kruis)
20. Shields (Close with Hughes)
21. Robson
22. Ford (Robson and Ford when game opens up..Ford to replace either Teo or Tuilagi)
23. Daly

I like this. Only a few potential changes below:

- Ashton ahead of Nowell and put him on the right with May on the left - I know this sounds a bit mad, but Ashton has been insanely consistent under the high ball in the last couple of seasons and his pace really helps with positioning.
- Singleton ahead of LCD - still can't forget the shockers he has had at the lineout internationally, Imagine George will get 70 anyway, but in case he gets injured in the first 20, would rather have Singleton
- Williams ahead of Cole - if you're not going to start him, I don't think there is value in Cole in the 23. Williams is only a marginally worse scrummager and offers a lot more around the park.

I like this. Only a few potential changes below:

- Ashton ahead of Nowell and put him on the right with May on the left - I know this sounds a bit mad, but Ashton has been insanely consistent under the high ball in the last couple of seasons and his pace really helps with positioning.
- Singleton ahead of LCD - still can't forget the shockers he has had at the lineout internationally, Imagine George will get 70 anyway, but in case he gets injured in the first 20, would rather have Singleton
- Williams ahead of Cole - if you're not going to start him, I don't think there is value in Cole in the 23. Williams is only a marginally worse scrummager and offers a lot more around the park.
I'd go with Williams as well, but he is nowhere near the scrummager that Cole is.

Not for Ire, but this backline would be balanced and tick most of the boxes. On paper.

Robson - higher tempo
Faz - iceman / points machine / fight starter / heartbeat
May - sprinter / resident lunatic
Devoto - ball playing big unit
Tuilagi - bish bash bosh
Coka - more bish bash bosh with added size and speed and no little skill
Brown - rock solid in the position where solidity counts

Would like to see Devoto given a proper chance at some point. He has, in theory, everything I want to see in a 12.

I'd go with Williams as well, but he is nowhere near the scrummager that Cole is.
And I'd say that's still the key thing for a TH.

Coming out of the Autumn I thought Sinckler had nailed the shirt, but in the few Quins games I've seen since he hasn't really stood out.

Cole seems to have recovered form. He'll never be as good in the loose as Sinckler can be and vice versa in the scrum. So it's more a philosophical question of what you value more.

For me, if Cole's going well he's the starter with Sinckler benching. If Cole goes off his game again then he's out of the match day squads. Wouldn't be especially concerned which of Sinckler or Williams starts.

George will presumably start at hooker, although he didn't really take his chance when Hartley was out before. LC-D hopefully benches, his arrows aren't perfect but I've also seen Singleton have a mare and LC-D can be a handful in the loose. Would like to see Singleton get some game time though. We'll need 3 hookers in Japan and if Hartley's increasingly injury prone we need to work out who the no3 is.

I do get the feeling that Devoto will be the next 12trees. Really hope it's not but it wouldn't be the first time we had someone who should tick all the boxes for an ideal 12 but doesn't.

Overall happy with the team. Shields and Hughes I feel are a waste of space but otherwise happy. Good to see Robson getting in and I really hope he has a stormer as a finisher. Post WC I see Spencer as our future SH and would like to see how Randall goes.

The scrums are obv very important but it depends alot on the ref on the day, that game last weekend where almost every scrum led to a pen because the ref let both teams push and never said use it even if it was at the 8s feet and other games where the balls woth the 8 and the ref says use it.

Williams good in the scrums, not as good as cole but what you lose in scrums you deffenatly get back around the park and clearing out at the rucks. Most refs call use it at the scrums unless a team is being marched backwards.

I think we will start
Mako. Experience
George
Sinks.

LCD. Deffinate choice behind george.
Genge.
Williams.

Jones says this is probably the strongest squad he's ever picked. Hope he doesn't regret those words.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46906392

Like Olyy I'm going to wait for 23 as depending on who's picked this could be a good team or a poor team. I reckon Jones will go with rep and favourites than form, so a poorer team.

Clifford is a good player ive always liked him but i dont think he should be in the england 23 without injuries. Same as singleton and earl and thorley(who i do rate highly and will play for england some day, mayne bench v italy), i dont want us experimenting in positions we have players to fill who are playing well. Couple of tweaks but we cant be waisting caps we need to get a team playing together, This whole tournement(maybe exception of italy) with the players in the 23 only really changing if players get injured or come back from injuries.

Devoto is different to the others as we do not have a settled centre partnership. Teo is our only option if we dont play Faz there.

Eventually we will have Underhill, JJ and Watson back who will likely push out some of the players above(until post WC at least). And Robshaw we dont want back

Relatively pleased by I'll wait and see what the final cut looks like.

If Underhill could stay fit, we could be a formidable pack.

I would probably go with

Mako
George
Cole
Itoje
Launch/Kruis
Wilson
Curry
Billy
Youngs
Farrell
May
T'eo
Manu
Daly
Brown

Genge
LCD
Sink
Lawes
Shields
Robson
Slade
Ashton

Fear not, lads.
EJ has said Nowell is an option at openside

I thought you were taking the p*ss, but i've just read it with my own eyes.

If this isn't a total wind up (probably) the bloke's either a genius or a certifiable idiot and I'm getting pretty close to ruling out one of those options.

Latest posts