• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

Say what you want about being an England fan: it's rarely boring (other than the actual games, on occasion)

16 in 8 > 20 in 16

I know ahahah. He's off to Japan now anyway, too much injury really affected him. Change in breakdown law didn't help either. Was brilliant at making breaks but our 4-8 have struggled clearing rucks for years so these quality breaks often ended up in him being turned over himself.

Just been listening to Dawsons podcast.

Discussion about Danny Care falling from form and being excluded. What I don't get is there's not even a fragment of debate about Ben Youngs and whether he's the best we've got, it's just totally assumed by everyone. Mental.

Discussion about Danny Care falling from form and being excluded. What I don't get is there's not even a fragment of debate about Ben Youngs and whether he's the best we've got, it's just totally assumed by everyone. Mental.

Youngs and Care have both fallen out of form but Youngs has at least shown an ability to control a game at various points, Care has failed as a starting SH a few too many times recently. Jones should have been trying other 9's way back as pretty much everyone on here said. Now he is in a position with 2 out of form 9's and he can't really replace both at the same time (well he COULD in theory) so he replaces Care. This is a problem of his own creation. Literally everyone else could see it potentially being an issue miles off, same as not having a proper back row or established centre partnership. Really we should have had 3 or 4 tried and tested SH's by now as Youngs and Care were already established before Jones took over.

See where youre coming from with the need for debate but other than Youngs, its Wigglesworth. Robson is a 'Care Type SH' and hes overtaken Care. Nobody has overtaken Youngs although I concede for Tigers he's been below his usual standards for a while.

I'm totally in agreement that Youngs is rightly there over Care, it's the choice of 1st 9 where I'm less happy. Eddie seems sure Youngs is 1st choice.
I'm also not sure Robson is a Care-type 9 - think he's much more than that and could replace Youngs given an opportunity.

I'm totally in agreement that Youngs is rightly there over Care, it's the choice of 1st 9 where I'm less happy. Eddie seems sure Youngs is 1st choice.
I'm also not sure Robson is a Care-type 9 - think he's much more than that and could replace Youngs given an opportunity.

Just the way games tend to pan out really. Control it first and then when the game opens up, change it. I agree Robson has a higher ceiling than Care ever achieved, hes well rounded and could probably learn a lot from Ben. Combine the two and you've got one hell of a SH.

Spencer should be there, imo

Used to be a massive Robson fan but his form has wavered a lot recently. Not to say he wouldn't be in my EPS, he absolutely should.

Spencer looks bloody class, and is the 2nd best box kickeŕ in the country (behind wigglesworth)

Personally would probably go for 9. Wigs 21. Spencer. As Tigs said, Robson's box kicking is poor. In the past he had a good enough running/support game to make up for his flaws, but that aspect of his game seems to have disappeared this season. In all honesty, I've been more impressed by Hampson than Robson at Wasps as of late.

Spencer should be there, imo

Used to be a massive Robson fan but his form has wavered a lot recently. Not to say he wouldn't be in my EPS, he absolutely should.

Spencer looks bloody class, and is the 2nd best box kickeŕ in the country (behind wigglesworth)

Short of something forcing Jones' hand, I see him as our starting SH post world cup.

Latest posts