• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

Only Ford has a relegation clause in his contract, If Tigers go down.
Also the club have a clause that if Tigers go down the players players wages will be cut by 20%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47717882

But despite the gulf in quality between the top two tiers of English rugby, interim chief executive Melville said the RFU could "absolutely" select players operating in the Championship, adding they might be "fresher" at that level.

"We can move forward and pick players from the Championship," he said.

"It would probably mean they get more rest than they probably would at the moment which might make them fresher."

Would be an interesting experiment (Not that I want Tigers to be it).
See how much benefit England players get from playing in less games? Say 10 - 12 club games in a season and more time doing S&C with England.

Shows the issues at tigers with england first choice 9 10 11, second choice 1 and 3, and welsh holmes there, when with all them they are facing relegation

Only Ford has a relegation clause in his contract, If Tigers go down.
Also the club have a clause that if Tigers go down the players players wages will be cut by 20%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47717882

But despite the gulf in quality between the top two tiers of English rugby, interim chief executive Melville said the RFU could "absolutely" select players operating in the Championship, adding they might be "fresher" at that level.

"We can move forward and pick players from the Championship," he said.

"It would probably mean they get more rest than they probably would at the moment which might make them fresher."

Would be an interesting experiment (Not that I want Tigers to be it).
See how much benefit England players get from playing in less games? Say 10 - 12 club games in a season and more time doing S&C with England.
The Times is saying that there is not an automatic 20% cut but that Tigers can impose it on players. However, if they do so then the player is allowed to leave. Tigers reported as not planning to enforce a cut if they go down.

Always makes me laugh in Wendyball when all the prima donnas want to jump ship on relegation conveniently overlooking their own (non) contributions to getting their team into that mess. Owing their team something never seems to enter their minds.

Wade Dooley spent most of his England career with Preston Grasshoppers in the 4th tier. Different era but I'm sure it wouldn't kill 1 or 2 to spend a year in the Championship.

Always makes me laugh in Wendyball when all the prima donnas want to jump ship on relegation conveniently overlooking their own (non) contributions to getting their team into that mess. Owing their team something never seems to enter their minds.

Wade Dooley spent most of his England career with Preston Grasshoppers in the 4th tier. Different era but I'm sure it wouldn't kill 1 or 2 to spend a year in the Championship.
I get your point but who of england players at tigers would bennefit? Genge needs gametime, may is on form, cole is as good as he will ever be and ford would bennefit from playing for a different prem team IMO.

I get your point but who of england players at tigers would bennefit? Genge needs gametime, may is on form, cole is as good as he will ever be and ford would bennefit from playing for a different prem team IMO.
Cole would probably benefit quite a bit from a rest to be fair. The man has been worked within an inch of his life.

From a pure rugby perspective few. From a leadership, character, refocusing perspective, probably all. Cliche central that you learn more about people in adversity but it's very true. ******* off to Brizzle or whoever's waving the biggest cheque book at the time doesn't say much about a player. Sticking with it, manning up to sort things out and showing loyalty does.

Obviously any with international aspirations can't languish in the lower divisions for years. But a season, which is all it would be, may cost a few caps but might just bring longer term benefits.

From a pure rugby perspective few. From a leadership, character, refocusing perspective, probably all. Cliche central that you learn more about people in adversity but it's very true. ******* off to Brizzle or whoever's waving the biggest cheque book at the time doesn't say much about a player. Sticking with it, manning up to sort things out and showing loyalty does.

Obviously any with international aspirations can't languish in the lower divisions for years. But a season, which is all it would be, may cost a few caps but might just bring longer term benefits.
Will there be much adversity tho? Tigers would walk the league. What will players learn from smashing teams every week?

Think he is on more about mentally, rather than physically.

Although i'm not sold.

He is.

Nor am I 100%, but I just hate watching Billy Big B*llocks run away from a mess that is at least partly their own making and get a better deal elsewhere on reputation.

I know clubs lose players to international call ups. Tigs you'll know better than me, but from the outside Tigers internationals seem to have been available enough to have influenced things a lot more positively than they appear to have done. If that's the case maybe its symptomatic of the leadership vacuum in the national team.

Think he is on more about mentally, rather than physically.

Although i'm not sold.
He is.

Nor am I 100%, but I just hate watching Billy Big B*llocks run away from a mess that is at least partly their own making and get a better deal elsewhere on reputation.

I know clubs lose players to international call ups. Tigs you'll know better than me, but from the outside Tigers internationals seem to have been available enough to have influenced things a lot more positively than they appear to have done. If that's the case maybe its symptomatic of the leadership vacuum in the national team.

I understood it was mentally. But again where's the mental adversity coming from? They would be unlikely to be struggling and would win most games easily.

Although I hated it the season we got relegated, I loved our time in the championship and the rebuilding phase that came afterwards. It was much more fun than a mid table premiership battle. I know that sounds odd but it was a good crack.

You understand getting relegated is a massive knock to players mentality
How do you stop getting relegated? Bring in the dad of the only guy in the team woth a get out clause, win win for the ford family

Tigers going down would be post world cup so doesnt really worry england much
Tigers would come straight back and not really affect the players england prospects

Tigers would come straight back and not really affect the players england prospects
It certainly would for that year; and if that year means you've lost your place...

Some will be loyal through loyalty.
Some will be loyal as they'd be expecting to retire from international rugby at that point anyway.
Some will be look to leave, but not find anyone willing/able to pay their wages with such short-notice of their availability.
Some will leave.

It certainly would for that year; and if that year means you've lost your place...

Some will be loyal through loyalty.
Some will be loyal as they'd be expecting to retire from international rugby at that point anyway.
Some will be look to leave, but not find anyone willing/able to pay their wages with such short-notice of their availability.
Some will leave.
May is not losing his place regardless
Ford will jump ship but still wouldnt lose his place as cips is out of favour and others are young.
Cole maybe but not too broken up about it.

Genge is the main one who id be worried about, he needs game time to nail down that 2nd LHP slot with obano moon ect.

Tigers coach must be on borrowed time now, wonder if Ford SNR is there to stay.

Anyone made a thread for these issues as this one seems the wrong one. Too early for end of season run in? 5 prem games and counting :)

Latest posts