• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

Lock only at 6 in emergency. I think wilson is great at 6, good carrier and good workrate and is good 8 cover. Meaning we dont have to have hughes on the bench.

But no locks at 6 unless we have to....please
No but no Binny means Wilson to 8, then who to 6.
Although had forgotten about Morgan at 8, better hand than Hughes, more power than Hughes, better rugby brain....

No but no Binny means Wilson to 8, then who to 6.
Although had forgotten about Morgan at 8, better hand than Hughes, more power than Hughes, better rugby brain....
According to the stats Olyy posted Hughes beat 74 defenders in the GP, third highest in the whole league, while Morgan beat a paltry 49.

So the guys with lap tops choose him. Lies, damned lies and all that.

Has Eddie ever mentioned Underhill at 6 or is it just something we all dream of?

Underhill Curry Mercer vs Barbarians would be pretty sick

I hope we can see how that back 3 plays out. I don't think Underhill starts the World Cup though. With his injury record not sure I can see him starting with games so close together. I'd love to be wrong but I think EJ will stick with Wilson, Curry, Binny with Underhill off the bench.

I hope we can see how that back 3 plays out. I don't think Underhill starts the World Cup though. With his injury record not sure I can see him starting with games so close together. I'd love to be wrong but I think EJ will stick with Wilson, Curry, Binny with Underhill off the bench.
Agreed, Underhill can cover 6 or 7, with Wilson moving to 8.

Maro has been playing 6 for sarries and doing a great job for last few weeks
I agree maro lawes iseikwe have all proved they can play very well at 6 and is good to know they can do a job if called upon but they shouldnt be chosen ahead of actual back rowers. Emergancy only for me.

I agree maro lawes iseikwe have all proved they can play very well at 6 and is good to know they can do a job if called upon but they shouldnt be chosen ahead of actual back rowers. Emergancy only for me.
I'd still rather have 2 of those at 6 ahead of shields...

Hope he wants to be in the england world cup squad from this, i dont think he will be England's savior or anything but hes a great player to have sat at home.

Especially with Mako currently injured
I know he's due back just before the squad is announced but hamstrings are fickle beasts

Just depends if you go to japan with 3 second row and 6 backrow
Or 4 locks and 5 loosies

4 and 5 would be my guess

Krutoje, Lawes, Launch
Wilson, Curry, Binny, Hughes, Underhill (or Simmonds - depends how he comes through the playoffs and if Eddie gives him a go during warmups. Wilson playing all across the backrow makes Simmonds task harder.)

Krutoje, Lawes, Launch
Wilson, Curry, Binny, Hughes, Underhill (or Simmonds - depends how he comes through the playoffs and if Eddie gives him a go during warmups. Wilson playing all across the backrow makes Simmonds task harder.)
Thats how i would select it
But i haven't got a squad right yet
I can see eddy going for Hughes over luancbury

Krutoje, Lawes, Launch
I feel Underhill is quite clearly ahead of Simmonds in the pecking order no? Obviously I prefer him, because Bath bias, but I mean Eddie's selection decisions point to it quite clearly I'd say. Of course EJ isn't above a very sudden and decisive volte-face, so who knows.

Agree on the 4-5, can anyone see Eddie not taking as many locks as he can get away with ... ?

Thats how i would select it
But i haven't got a squad right yet
I can see eddy going for Hughes over luancbury

Yep. This worries me. Launch doesn't seem to be a particular favourite of Eddie's which surprises me given how much he values work rate.

I wouldn't pick Hughes at all, let alone pick him thinking he can cover lock.

Krutoje, Lawes, Launch
Would agree with that, especially as a couple of the locks can cover back row in an emergency.

Locks are a no brainer.

Curry and Binny are on the plane as first choices. Underhill would be my first choice 6 and and can also cover Curry. Simmonds is a good impact sub & generally useful utility player that a RWC squad needs. We need another 8 who can start if needs be so that's Hughes v Wilson v Mercer v (possibly) Shields. Sadly Morgan appears not to come into the equation. It would be massively tough to leave Wilson out and he can cover other positions.

I feel Underhill is quite clearly ahead of Simmonds in the pecking order no? Obviously I prefer him, because Bath bias, but I mean Eddie's selection decisions point to it quite clearly I'd say. Of course EJ isn't above a very sudden and decisive volte-face, so who knows.

Agree on the 4-5, can anyone see Eddie not taking as many locks as he can get away with ... ?
I agree Underhill will be ahead of Simmonds atm but a i do highly rate a fully fit SSimmonds, he can bring alot to the game but unless he smashes it in the play offs then i doubt he will be picked by EJ as hes played next to no rugby.

Latest posts