• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

Marler saying that he'd answer a World Cup SOS. But reluctantly as it would be disrespectful to others.

So expect to see him on the plane then.

What was the point in retiring then

Here's the article. We're only talking RWC emergency, not totally reversing retirement.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/may/29/rob-baxter-exeter-joe-marler-world-cup

That he's even willing to consider it is probably down to a combination of factors. Maybe getting off the international treadmill for a while has done him good and he's feeling refreshed, happy and enjoying his rugby again. Maybe he misses it and fancies a final blast, maybe Jones has got in his ear, maybe he's just an all round good egg who would put country before self.

Truth is that there's clear water between him and Mako and our other LHs. Still doubtful if Mako will be properly fit before the tournament start, so I'd want to see Marler involved if possible. Genge hasn't quite kicked on as we all hoped and while Moon's done well, he has a lower ceiling than the others.

Genge needed more time even if ment sacreficing mako to the bench znd he always needed to be ahead of moon to fast track him to a minimum standard he needs to be at.

I think he said to Danny care that he would only go if two other props were injured ie. We lost moon or genge as well.. he's still English at the end of the day and wants to see the boys do well

This isn't a new thing, he said on the Rugby Pod the week that he retired that if Mako went down before the RWC and he was needed then there was a good chance that he'd answer the call.

Genge needed more time even if ment sacreficing mako to the bench znd he always needed to be ahead of moon to fast track him to a minimum standard he needs to be at.
Very true.

Genge is 24 now. Not exactly past it but no longer a pup and by now I was hoping to have seen more from him in both impact and experience - he boasts 9 caps with only starts against Argentina (2), Samoa and Italy. Although older Moon has 4 starts from 8 caps. Not saying either of them can't do a job, but experience still counts in the front row and if there's any doubt over Mako, why wouldn't you want 59 caps including a previous RWC and Lions tourist in your back pocket?

Exactly, if mako is out then marler needs to be least 4th choice incase of 2 injuries if he wants to remain as emergancy injury cover even though he should be 2nd choice. Id put mako first but with marlers experience he should be first as ge brings less frim the bench then mako beast mode off the bench.

According to the guardian, cips to possibly go to the WC as a backup flyhalf/scrumhalf option.
Ford trained as a SH in the six Nations squad apparently but it didn't work out. Eddie's way of solving the three scrum half or 3.fly half dilemma

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...19/may/30/barbarians-world-cup-danny-cipriani

If that is true then Jones is an idiot which for a long time I thought he is. With all the talent in England it takes some doing to not pick the best 23 players but he constantly manages to.

Tompkins goes to japan ahead of teo for me and devoto
Tompkins is a very good individual runner but he's not very good at using the people around him. I think his hands are suspect and he's got no kicking game. I'd take Devoto, Loz, Atkinson or Mills (if fit) ahead of him. Maybe Williams too.

EJ loves a 2nd distributor in his centres,
If he's got Manu and Teo as his bosh, then Devoto makes good sense as back up to Slade.
But where does that leave Joseph?

In 2015 we had
3 x Scrumhalves
2 x Flyhalves
4 x Centres
5 x Back three

Eddie will likely take 2 scrumhalves, so does the extra spot go to an extra utility back or (more likely) and extra forward?

Tompkins is a very good individual runner but he's not very good at using the people around him. I think his hands are suspect and he's got no kicking game. I'd take Devoto, Loz, Atkinson or Mills (if fit) ahead of him. Maybe Williams too.

Possibly a touch harsh on Tompkins there, but if we're looking for a big playmaking 12 with good distribution skills, I'd take Devoto, Atkinson or Mills ahead of him.

I see Tompkins as more of a 12/13 all-rounder. He's strong, quick and elusive, but I'm not sure he has a particular point of difference? As a former 10, Devoto is probably superior in all of the kicking and playmaking options but also has the size to play a direct running game too.

EJ loves a 2nd distributor in his centres,
If he's got Manu and Teo as his bosh, then Devoto makes good sense as back up to Slade.
But where does that leave Joseph?
Tuilagi-Slade starters.
Tuilagi goes down then Te'o-Slade.
Slade goes down then Faz-Tuilagi.
EJ's got his playmaker-bosher axis safely covered, so I guess JJ goes as an option to mix things up? Unfortunately, I think that means Te'o's above JJ in the pecking order.

Jesus wept. Ben Te'o. It really takes the mick that he is anywhere near the squad. Beggars belief.

Latest posts