• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

Tell that to Cheslin Kolbe. Ford is actually pretty good at making runs. The problem is he didn't do it after the whole daddy and bath fiasco. Confidence issue or instruction, not sure but he is actually bloody quick.

He is quick and does have a food eye for a gap (well used to) but did seem to lose the ball in contact every time I saw him do it. The thing with Kolbe is he is far stronger than Ford in contact. I'm surprised they haven't bulked Ford up over the last couple of years.

Have you watched much of Ford this year?

I think I watched every one of Tigers' televised games and his running game definitely sees to have come back. He obviously isn't going to physically dominate anyone in contact, but I don't recall any specific incidences of him making any breaks only to lose the ball this year?

Nowell's had ankle surgery but Baxter says theres no reason he wont be fit for the world cup.

So BBC reporting Hartley will miss the world cup through injury with Care and Robshaw not getting selected. BBC also saying Alex Dombrandt will be in training squad and mentioning Marler might come out of retirement for this too.

I understand leaving slowmo Robshaw at home but care is our only other experienced scrumhalf that Jones has been investing caps in. Surely it's a little bit mental to now not take him ???

Although Jones is mental

I understand leaving slowmo Robshaw at home but care is our only other experienced scrumhalf that Jones has been investing caps in. Surely it's a little bit mental to now not take him ???

Although Jones is mental
In total agreement of that. If he didnt intend on taking care then why has he been played him for the last few years giving no one else a shot. Robson and spencer id take above him but they needed 3 years experience and we could have been in a much better position.

Hartley, we need his leadership and LCD is has not yet progressed to the player he could be unfortunatly. I just think our front row is very strong until you take the first choice away.

Mako --- Genge
George --- LCD
Sinkler --- Williams/Cole

Big drop i think. We have better depth in other positions in the pack. But not the front row.

Surprised if hughes gets dropped and dombrandt in given his total lack of experience.

Apparently that squad excludes any teams who were in the final 4 of the prem, hence a lot of big names missing.

Just walked past Dombrandt in Putney.

He's not small.

I remember seeing Martin Corry on the tube when he was England captain. Managed to get his autograph. He wasn't small either. Woman next to me asked who he was and when i told her she just said - never heard of him. Lol.

I remember seeing Martin Corry on the tube when he was England captain. Managed to get his autograph. He wasn't small either. Woman next to me asked who he was and when i told her she just said - never heard of him. Lol.

I always rated Corry although many didn't. He came at a hard time for English back row living up to the trinity.

I always rated Corry although many didn't. He came at a hard time for English back row living up to the trinity.

Yeah he was fantastic at 6 during 2007 RWC run to the final and of course squad member the 2003 winning squad; short of being world class, but who wasn't when compared to Hill. I think he was just chuffed to bits he was recognised.

Yeah he was fantastic at 6 during 2007 RWC run to the final and of course squad member the 2003 winning squad; short of being world class, but who wasn't when compared to Hill. I think he was just chuffed to bits he was recognised.
We forget that the early 2000s was another great era for England back rows. Really nice balance to all the players, who apart from probably Back, could play in any back row position and at a push play 2nd Row in emergency.

We forget that the early 2000s was another great era for England back rows. Really nice balance to all the players, who apart from probably Back, could play in any back row position and at a push play 2nd Row in emergency.
Worsley racked up 78 caps, Moody 71 and Corry 64. All suffered a bit for not being called Hill, Back or Dallaglio.

We've got a lot of back row talent coming through, but I just hope that Jones decides who his men are and sticks with them so so that we eventually get players aged 25 - 30 with 60+ caps.

Indeed. Having lots of options is great but it does have some drawbacks.

Post World Cup, I'd like us to settle on a first and second choice combination that we stick with and develop. However, this doesn't mean I'd ignore form if any of that group are not playing well or other players making a compelling case to be included.

Eddie is a strange one. He fluctuates between bizarre loyalty to some out of form players (Te'o/Youngs) and strange call-ups for others.

Seems like we will stick with curry for the long term which is great, and dombradnt will be there soon hopefully, Would dombrandt curry billy work? With underhill on the bench? Beast of a back row.

Thats what i think could be our 4 first choice back rowers.

Also have Jwillis if he can get fit. Ted Hill and TWillis and rus Tuima (who is there because he is big but hope baxter can mold him...if not then no) at u20 level.

Latest posts