• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2020/21 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's always been Watson, I even think Daly plays better on the wing although there are others.

I get that I can be quite moany about Mr Jones but I guess I don't have a runny 08 to make my dream team with and win the World Cup. With 12 though I get there's been little to choose from. Personally I'd have had every English 12 in the squads to at least find 1 or 2 to work with.
On Daly i think his worst position is wing, id actually rather him at FB than wing, ive also always prefered Watson on the wing than FB just because i like the more play making 15 who can join the line run a fast line and put others into space.

I want Malins to step up and takes the 15 shirt. He seems to have all the skills but needs to prove himself still.

Yeah Daly's positioning on the wing (both attack and defence) is way worse than at 15

Sinckler banned for 2 weeks for his swearing so will miss Sco.

As clear as day on the coverage. Slight surprise Dickson didn't apply a tougher sanction at the time but now been deemed worthy of a red.

Nice to see Sincks has finally rediscovered some of his anger.

Slightly concerning considering Stuart's post-haicut form, though
Williams not exactly tearing up trees at Exeter either

Dan+Cole+England+Media+Access+OyRJp2mlWDyl.jpg

Just thinking that once Englands 6N squad is assembled , presumably the whole squad will have to stay together for the duration . I can't imagine those outside the match 23 will be allowed to leave the bubble and go back to their clubs to play ,then re-join after. Cant imagine the french allowing that.
If so, some players may not play for nearly 2 months.

What happened during the Autumn Internationals?

Genuinely can't remember if players were released back to clubs - but they were (supposedly) in a bubble then, living at Pennyhill for a couple of months.

What happened during the Autumn Internationals?

Genuinely can't remember if players were released back to clubs - but they were (supposedly) in a bubble then, living at Pennyhill for a couple of months.
They were released back to clubs each w/e during nations cup. Be surprised if they did during 6N.

I find the French attitude on this quite bizarre. They're acting like no-one in France has the virus when it's just as rampant over there.

Yes. This is a worry.

I'm really hoping Francis' move to Ospreys gives Marcus Street a real opportunity to start on a more regular basis. Williams works very well for Exeter's game plan but Street has the potential to leapfrog him and become an England contender.

How many Eng contenders are tearing up trees at the moment? I can't think of many beyond some of the back row contenders and Launch.

That's partly a reflection of the season being so disjointed. And the Sarries contingent not playing at all.

Last edited:
That may be true but Williams is consistently underwhelming IMO.

England head coach Eddie Jones suffered a selection setback on Friday after it was confirmed that he will be restricted to picking a streamlined 28-man squad for the Guinness Six Nations Championship.

For the 2020 Championship, Jones picked a 34-man squad while France head coach Fabien Galthie recently unveiled a 37-strong squad for this year's tournament. After an agreement between the Rugby Football Union, Premiership Rugby and the Rugby Players' Association, Jones will be restricted to 28 players to reduce the risk of Covid-19 transmission.

While players can be replaced if injured, Jones will have less freedom to chop and change with the initial squad expected to remain in camp throughout the tournament. This will also limit Jones' penchant for including a handful of uncapped bolters. The suspension of the next two rounds of European matches had already robbed Jones of valuable scouting opportunities.

Within the 28 I hope he selects 6 locks and 5 outside centres but only 1 scrum half. I jest.

We usually take around 34 in so that's around 6 players to drop. Wonder what the squad make up will be.

I'd be interested to look at the stats for how many players we actually use in an average year. I wouldn't mind betting it's 28 or lower.

My impression is that Eddie doesn't usually make wholesale changes to his 23. Normally only 3/4 changes per game and quite often that will be 'horses for courses' switches in one or two positions - mostly on the bench.

28 definitely adds limitations but I don't think it's a massive problem.

Yeah, Eddie has his side and rarely deviates. For him it won't matter so much, but for people who wanted to see new players given a shot it's frustrating

I guess it'll be his pencilled in matchday 23 + 2 additional props, one lock, one backrow, one utility back

Yeah, Eddie has his side and rarely deviates. For him it won't matter so much, but for people who wanted to see new players given a shot it's frustrating

I guess it'll be his pencilled in matchday 23 + 2 additional props, one lock, one backrow, one utility back
True, one issue I see though is the lack game time for Saracens players. If they are off the ball then there is no scope to change the squad really.

It's quite frustrating really because there are some positions that really need depth as we know and EJ is hesitant to try new players even at the best of times. On top if the Lions is cancelled or postponed which is very possible then it take away at least one opportunity where EJ would have been forced to try new players. (Though with 9 being the big issue, I doubt Gatland would take Youngs anyway)

Almost certain it will be something like this -

Lawes and Wilson potentially for the versatility

UB
Malins,
Marchant / Nowell (injury dependant)
BACK 3
Daly
Watson,
May
CENTRE
Slade,
Farrell,
Lawrence
FH
Ford,
SH
Youngs,
Robson
FR
Genge, Marler, M Vunipola
George, LCD
Sinckler, Stuart, Williams
SR
Itoje, Launchbury, Hill, Ewels/Lawes
BR
Curry, Underhill, B. Vunipola, Earl, Willis/Wilson

Last edited:
Almost certain it will be something like this -

Lawes and Wilson potentially for the versatility

UB
Malins,
Marchant
BACK 3
Daly
Watson,
May
CENTRE
Slade,
Farrell,
Lawrence
FH
Ford,
SH
Youngs,
Robson
FR
Genge, Marler, M Vunipola
George, LCD
Sinckler, Stuart, Williams
SR
Itoje, Launchbury, Hill, Ewels/Lawes
BR
Curry, Underhill, B. Vunipola, Earl, Willis/Wilson
Is Nowell still injured?

Given that Eddie has been getting players to play multiple positions, this reduced squad shouldn't be too much of a problem, but new caps now seem highly unlikely. However, even if the Lions is cancelled, I can't see Eddie taking a first-team squad on the summer tour of the US and Canada (assuming of course that goes ahead). That will be the time he experiments.

Is Nowell still injured?

Given that Eddie has been getting players to play multiple positions, this reduced squad shouldn't be too much of a problem, but new caps now seem highly unlikely. However, even if the Lions is cancelled, I can't see Eddie taking a first-team squad on the summer tour of the US and Canada (assuming of course that goes ahead). That will be the time he experiments.
Ooh I'm not sur actually, I've amended it now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts