• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby > England Football

"Team" is certainly the key word. It looked to me as though none of them have any interest in working for each other.

Capello shouldn't play Barry or Heskey next week. He needs to play Joe Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick and Lennon in midfield and Rooney on his own up front. I can see England panicking and drawing with Slovenia. Gerrard and Lampard both had poor performances in the 1st 2 matches. They don't look for the easy pass, they're constantly looking for the Hollywood ball. I'm watching Netherlands - Japan right now and Japan are putting up a tight defensive effort like Algeria but The Netherlands are being patient with their passing, players are making themselves available to the man in posession. They're just passing around the back and around midfield and it's working. England were too impatient andf just let Heskey and Lennon make hopeful runs and they'd hoof it up to them and lose posession instantly.

D'Arcy if I am honest I do think they are average. Lampard and Rooney had super seasons. Gerrard, Barry, Terry and Carragher were average (and that been very nice), Heskey sits on a bench better than McCormack for Leinster.

If they meet Argentina, Brazil or Holland they'd be dismantled.

I don't see why England persist with Heskey over Peter Crouch. Crouchy has scored 21 goals in his 39 England apperances while Heskey averages something like a goal every 10 games. It's not like he contributes to play in any other serious fashion either.

England's main problem, as always, stems from their lack of a creative passing midfielder. While Gerrard and Lampard are very good players, they play very similar roles and one at most can be accomodated in the starting 11. Carrick or Barry would probably add more and Joe Cole is a must. They do have a helluva lot of talent at their disposal, but the big question is whether they can develop a system in time to harness it.

I don't claim to know anything about football, but i don't get why they only bring Crouch on for the last 5minutes of the match,
Heskey wasn't performing/hasn't performed, bring on Crouch at half time, or at least give him half an hour on the pitch. If he fluffs it then so be it, but at least give him a chance. They just played a montage of Rooneys poor skills from last night, if he's playing like that they need someone who can put the ball in the net

I think Slovenia will beat England 2 - 0

Where's this "Own Goal" chap that scored lots for Man United last season? Wouldn't he do the job?

Was he American or something?

Sure hasn't some goalkeeper scored more goals than Heskey :D
Cant remeber which GK it is though

René Higuita and José Luis Chilavert are the ones to score more goals than Heskey at international level.

Chilavert was a top goalkeeper as well as having a wicked free kick.

Haven't you noticed that in this world cup teams with 10 or 11 club stars have failed (England, Italy, France) whereas teams who have maybe only 1 or 2 stars and the rest with good, honest pros (Switzerland, Uruguay, Slovenia etc) have done well. 11 individuals don't make a team and it's going to be a problem for every England manager.

One thing I notice in my support of football is the rivalry between clubs isn't dropped for International games. Thats why Spain won diddly-sod all for years as the Basque players and Madrid based players wouldn't get on as the club rivalry is too deep seated. Now they are a united team they are becoming one of the best sides in the world. So, whilst Gunners fans ***** about a Spurs player and Chelsea fans moan about Villa players, England won't win a thing.

Haven't you noticed that in this world cup teams with 10 or 11 club stars have failed (England, Italy, France) whereas teams who have maybe only 1 or 2 stars and the rest with good, honest pros (Switzerland, Uruguay, Slovenia etc) have done well. 11 individuals don't make a team and it's going to be a problem for every England manager.

No.

England have the talent + good manager. Guess there are good odds on them before final group game to win the whole thing.

In theory England are one of the best teams there. You don't qualify with the record we did without being a bit talented. The problem we have is expectation and pressure. True, it's part and parcel of being a footballer, but the amount of pressure on those players is enormous and it's starting to tell. And the pressure will mount if we don't score an early goal today.

Latest posts