England smashes Wales in World Cup warmup

Discussion in 'Super League / Northern Hemisphere' started by melon, Oct 12, 2008.

1. melon

melon Guest

Without their Leeds and St Helens players who would have made up the bulk of the team given they were available (they were rested following the Grand-Final), England still managed to score 14 tries against Wales in a 74-0 drubbing at Doncaster.

I suppose it just goes to show how far Rugby League as an international game has to go. Full on professionalism is still something relatively exclusive to England, Australia and to a lesser extent New Zealand and France.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Wales are a long way behind England.

4. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

I still completely disagree with the breakup of the Great Britain team.

5. melon

melon Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Oct 13 2008, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Hence the 74-0 scoreline ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Oct 13 2008, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Yeah I was wondering what was up with that! I'm used to the mighty Great Britain Lions but was astounded when Dan started referring to the World Cup team as England. What happened with it all?

6. In a political sense or a rugby sense?

7. melon

melon Guest

In a rugby league sense. Enlighten me :)

8. I'll go into detail for you tomorrow. Right now I need to get outside with my shotgun and watch the car. <_<

9. melon

melon Guest

Righto, I'll be licking my lips with eager anticipation.

Is your car a Ford Focus?

10. cyRil

cyRil Guest

I said we'd get dicked.
    Don't worry, Valentine's Day isn't too far away!

11. Maccaweeny

Maccaweeny Guest

Didn't Lebanon beat Wales a while back?

12. melon

melon Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maccaweeny @ Oct 13 2008, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Yeah in the 2nd phase of RLWC qualifying back in November last year, they beat wales 50-26.

13. dullonien

dullonien Guest

lol, where has it all gone wrong. Didn't we (Wales) make the semi finals in the last two world cups?

14. alexrugby

alexrugby Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Oct 13 2008, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

74:0 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow Bravo England or Buuuuuuuuuu Wales??????

I like Wales team very much (as well as Eng) but this score gap is huge

15. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

And now we've got the Irish Rugby League team complaining about why they're not in Business Class like the English.

I'm sorry but this whole splitting up of the Great Britain team has been a farce so far. Drubbings, unrealistic expectations and one nation still thinking that even though everything has been separated that they still have all the GB Lions benefits of old.

Its a huge mistake and everyone will regret it soon enough.

16. cyRil

cyRil Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Oct 14 2008, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

74:0 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow Bravo England or Buuuuuuuuuu Wales??????

I like Wales team very much (as well as Eng) but this score gap is huge
    [/b][/quote]
    Just to make clear this was our rugby league side, which is utter pants.
    Apologies if you knew that, I just hate the reputation of my national side in a proper sport B) being ruined.
    Which is why I assassinated Gareth Jenkins. :lol: I'll give him 62-5!

17. RC

RC Guest

You see, the GB team saves us this kind of humiliation!
    WTF!

18. Great Britain might as well have been "England" since Cunningham retired from internationals. There are NO Welsh, Scottish or Irish players good enough to play for England at the moment. Ireland might have one or two knocking about but that's because there's carte blanche license for Aussies not good enough, or ostracised because they went to play Super League, to play for them. Pat Richards being the best example. He's probably never been to Ireland in his life but with a name like that he has Irish in him somewhere.

The RFL split the teams up because they are trying to provide a unique national identity for each country as they try to get a foothold back in them all after being destroyed by union earlier last century. Wales is most certainly on the agenda what with the Crusaders getting their franchise (despite the fact Wales aren't even troubling this world cup) and Scotland is next on the agenda with Murrayfield Magic in 2009 and many a rumour circulating that the RFL are going to seriously consider a bid from a Glasgow or Edinburgh club in time for the franchise review in 2012. Think that will be too soon myself.

Its expansionism of the highest order. I don't mind us being called "England" because its the only truth but there's a well to do attitude towards the other teams which is why they have been granted their own status. Don't be surprised to see significant investment in the sport in those areas in the coming five years. After the success of the Catalan Dragons and expected success of the Crusaders next season (off the field more than on it) I have a faith in the governing body to get this right.

19. Cymro

Cymro Guest

Wales has got little big named RL players at the moment, most of them are at the end of their career!

20. Precisely - Harris, Briers.... tail end of their careers.

21. Macsen

Macsen Guest

A twist on the old 'tree falling in the woods' line - does it matter if your country loses at a sport it doesn't care about?

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!