• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England smashes Wales in World Cup warmup

M

melon

Without their Leeds and St Helens players who would have made up the bulk of the team given they were available (they were rested following the Grand-Final), England still managed to score 14 tries against Wales in a 74-0 drubbing at Doncaster.

I suppose it just goes to show how far Rugby League as an international game has to go. Full on professionalism is still something relatively exclusive to England, Australia and to a lesser extent New Zealand and France.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Oct 13 2008, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wales are a long way behind England.[/b]
Hence the 74-0 scoreline ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Oct 13 2008, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I still completely disagree with the breakup of the Great Britain team.[/b]
Yeah I was wondering what was up with that! I'm used to the mighty Great Britain Lions but was astounded when Dan started referring to the World Cup team as England. What happened with it all?

I'll go into detail for you tomorrow. Right now I need to get outside with my shotgun and watch the car. <_<

Righto, I'll be licking my lips with eager anticipation.

Is your car a Ford Focus?

lol, where has it all gone wrong. Didn't we (Wales) make the semi finals in the last two world cups?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Oct 13 2008, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Without their Leeds and St Helens players who would have made up the bulk of the team given they were available (they were rested following the Grand-Final), England still managed to score 14 tries against Wales in a 74-0 drubbing at Doncaster.

I suppose it just goes to show how far Rugby League as an international game has to go. Full on professionalism is still something relatively exclusive to England, Australia and to a lesser extent New Zealand and France.[/b]

74:0 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow Bravo England or Buuuuuuuuuu Wales??????

I like Wales team very much (as well as Eng) but this score gap is huge

And now we've got the Irish Rugby League team complaining about why they're not in Business Class like the English.

I'm sorry but this whole splitting up of the Great Britain team has been a farce so far. Drubbings, unrealistic expectations and one nation still thinking that even though everything has been separated that they still have all the GB Lions benefits of old.

Its a huge mistake and everyone will regret it soon enough.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Oct 14 2008, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Oct 13 2008, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose it just goes to show how far Rugby League as an international game has to go. Full on professionalism is still something relatively exclusive to England, Australia and to a lesser extent New Zealand and France.[/b]

74:0 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow Bravo England or Buuuuuuuuuu Wales??????

I like Wales team very much (as well as Eng) but this score gap is huge
[/b][/quote]
Just to make clear this was our rugby league side, which is utter pants.
Apologies if you knew that, I just hate the reputation of my national side in a proper sport B) being ruined.
Which is why I assassinated Gareth Jenkins. :lol: I'll give him 62-5!

Great Britain might as well have been "England" since Cunningham retired from internationals. There are NO Welsh, Scottish or Irish players good enough to play for England at the moment. Ireland might have one or two knocking about but that's because there's carte blanche license for Aussies not good enough, or ostracised because they went to play Super League, to play for them. Pat Richards being the best example. He's probably never been to Ireland in his life but with a name like that he has Irish in him somewhere.

The RFL split the teams up because they are trying to provide a unique national identity for each country as they try to get a foothold back in them all after being destroyed by union earlier last century. Wales is most certainly on the agenda what with the Crusaders getting their franchise (despite the fact Wales aren't even troubling this world cup) and Scotland is next on the agenda with Murrayfield Magic in 2009 and many a rumour circulating that the RFL are going to seriously consider a bid from a Glasgow or Edinburgh club in time for the franchise review in 2012. Think that will be too soon myself.

Its expansionism of the highest order. I don't mind us being called "England" because its the only truth but there's a well to do attitude towards the other teams which is why they have been granted their own status. Don't be surprised to see significant investment in the sport in those areas in the coming five years. After the success of the Catalan Dragons and expected success of the Crusaders next season (off the field more than on it) I have a faith in the governing body to get this right.

Wales has got little big named RL players at the moment, most of them are at the end of their career!

A twist on the old 'tree falling in the woods' line - does it matter if your country loses at a sport it doesn't care about?

Latest posts