• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England smashes Wales in World Cup warmup

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Macsen @ Oct 14 2008, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A twist on the old 'tree falling in the woods' line - does it matter if your country loses at a sport it doesn't care about?[/b]

Disagree completely!!!

When Wales at its height of its RL status in 1995 and 2000 it was cared about, I can tell you that for nothing! That the point now in this country is the fact we need to embrace RL and the attitude you have taken there shows the general concesus of Rugby folk in Wales!

I don't know about that. When we got to the semis of the world cup in 2001 (?) I, and a lot of other people thought 'oh, that's cool. Nice one.' But we still didn't give a **** about league. The day it is a more important sport in Wales than union is the day I head for New Zealand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Oct 14 2008, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Macsen @ Oct 14 2008, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A twist on the old 'tree falling in the woods' line - does it matter if your country loses at a sport it doesn't care about?[/b]

Disagree completely!!!

When Wales at its height of its RL status in 1995 and 2000 it was cared about, I can tell you that for nothing! That the point now in this country is the fact we need to embrace RL and the attitude you have taken there shows the general concesus of Rugby folk in Wales!
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, I'm with Cyril on this one.
I don't know any of my mates or family who excited by the prospect of Wales being a potential threat to the big dogs in RL back in the late 90s and early 2000s.
It's just the culture, Union has always been a working class game and there was always this huge rift between the two codes if someone went across to RL.
That's sort of been passed down to us as later generations as a general disinterest in the sport - in Wales we have somewhat of an apathetic behaviour towards to code. Hell, St.Helens RLFC had to give me a crash course in the code last year!
The only time you see RL on TV is the Grand Final. That's it.
You have to get sky to watch regular league. Union however...every week!
There's a huge gulf in interest between the two codes, but hopefully the Millennium Magic that Cardiff hosts every year will help get the interest growing a little.

Well it won't any more, because it's been moved to Murrayfield!
Despite not being a fan, I quite enjoyed going to the Saturday round of matches last year and I think this relocation will only be of detriment to Super League and the sport in Britain as a whole.

Yeah, it shows how long i've been out of the country, because i only just found out (like 1 minute ago) that it moved to Murrayfield!
Bullshit.

I was wondering how i was gonna break the bad news to you dan that i couldn't put you up again this year coz i'll be in america again. Lol.
No need to now!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Oct 16 2008, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 16 2008, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
because i only just found out (like 1 minute ago) that it moved to Murrayfield![/b]
Was that when I said... 'It's moved to Murrayfield.' ?
;) :p
[/b][/quote]

Haha, STFU!
No i read it elsewhere.
But thanks for the update anyway! :lol:

What do people have against Murrayfield and Edinburgh?!

Edinburghs a lovely city! And believe it or not, its not that hard to get to. Scotland isn't next to Outer-Mongolia y'know.

In fact, Dan, you should be best placed to get to Edinburgh, just get a Virgin train to Glasgow and then swap for a train to Edinburgh!

Go on, give it a go, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good Edinburgh is.

Edinburgh is a beautiful city.

Murrayfield however is miles out of the way, boring, freezing and holds painful memories for me.

Went to Murryfield once, ages ago. Froze my arse off, and England won. Harriman was untouchable. NZ nilled Australia though, which was great. But Aus still got to the final with England. Fantastic time in Edinburgh afterwards, and a Haggis supper tastes damn fine after enough pints...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Oct 17 2008, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Edinburgh is a beautiful city.

Murrayfield however is miles out of the way, boring, freezing and holds painful memories for me.[/b]

Murrayfield was only boring because of the incredibly stupid blanket alcohol ban at sports stadiums that they have up there, in fact that was one of the reasons why the SRU was making such awful losses as they simply didn't have the ability of the RFU or WRU to install those amazing million-pints-a-second machines and ply their Scottish audience with Tennants (I call BS on that by the way, I waited about 45 minutes for a pint at the Millennium Stadium, what were the polish staff doing? Drinking 999,999 of the 1,000,000 pints being poured a second?! I mean, don't get me wrong, the atmosphere of the stadium is incredible but from an organisational and design point of view, from the painfully slow service to the incredibly narrow and claustrophobic corridors caused by squeezing the bloody stadium into such a small area of the City...its diabolical)

Anyway, the ban has only just been lifted in the last 18 months for Rugby grounds so you can enjoy a beer inside the ground and not outside in the freezin' frickin' cold.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 27 2008, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hardly much use considering he's T-total, is it?[/b]

I'm not surprised he's a T-total coming from Merseyside where the City's primary obsession (apart from bankrupting itself and whoring the Beatles) is to try and close down what few Real Ale brewers there are left in the city and promoting utterly gash lager.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Oct 12 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wales are a long way behind England.[/b]

Words written in haste :)

Although it is true that Wales are indeed a long way behind England, for to us it is a new game .. given the latest scores in the World Cup, would one be wise to advise Wales to emulate England ? :)

Latest posts