• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England: The Flood conundrum

j'nuh

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Gloucester
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/T...igers-future/story-19690818-detail/story.html

tl;dr: Flood is in the last year of his contract at the Tigers and won't make a decision on his future until after the new year.

There's nothing much else to the story, but there is plenty that can be speculated about.

First of all, the new year is the point in which other clubs are allowed to compete for his signature. His decision to wait explicitly until the new year seems to indicate that he is open to see what offers he gets to move away from the Tigers, and it's most likely that it would be a France move if any. (Further speculation: Toulon? As a replacement for Wilkinson?)

Second of all, making a decision in the new year will allow him to work out where he is with England. England selection has to be one of the main reasons for avoiding a big-money move whilst in your peak years.

This puts England in an odd situation. England can't be forced into selecting Flood to keep him around, but nor can they afford to drive him off the map either. We need him around at least until the world cup. Of course, Leicester won't want to lose him either and will do all they can to keep him around.

So, do we pick him in the AIs to keep him around? If he moves, do we scupper the exile ban and pick him? Do we even need him?

I'd be a little surprised if he left Tigers, to be honest - especially at 28.
A two year extension then a couple of years in France is my guess.

I wouldn't agree with England selecting him to keep him in England - I would, however, agree with England selecting him because of good form (which he was on at the end of last season). See how he goes at the start of next season - in theory I'd have him and Burns as my two 10s for England.

While I believe that Flood is our best fly-half, if he's not in form and demanding the place, he shouldn't get picked - and if he moves abroad, so be it, keep the rules.

That said, if he ends up in Toulon breezing around like a boss, and we're stuck with Owen Farrell, I won't be terribly happy.

He's not the kind of player that would get big money in France. He's far from being the player the press talk about when playing against (rightly or wrongly). He's not even near the reputation of Roberts, Sexton, Giteau, Hayman, Sheridan, Ali Williams, Wilkinson, etc. or the form of Lydiate and such. He may even end up in Japan, who knows.

He's not the kind of player that would get big money in France. He's far from being the player the press talk about when playing against (rightly or wrongly). He's not even near the reputation of Roberts, Sexton, Giteau, Hayman, Sheridan, Ali Williams, Wilkinson, etc. or the form of Lydiate and such. He may even end up in Japan, who knows.

While he may not have the marquee reputation, he is still one of Europe's best fly-halves and they always attract big money. If Flood can't find a French club that would outbid Leicester I will barbecue my own buttocks and serve them to this forum.

Would Lamb playing really badly keep him with the Tigers?

Not that I think he couldn't get a good contract in France, I just can't see him playing there... I don't think the French would like him at all.

While he may not have the marquee reputation, he is still one of Europe's best fly-halves and they always attract big money. If Flood can't find a French club that would outbid Leicester I will barbecue my own buttocks and serve them to this forum.

England have far better depth of fly halves compared to any other European nation. If I was ranking the best European fly halves, Flood would certainly be in the top 5 imo, and there would be more English than any other nation in the top 10.

If Flood decides to move and thus not be part of the England team so be it. Makes room for the youngsters who can hopefully be molded along with the rest of the team rather than relying on an older player who could take up game time and then retire without us having got a suitable replacement.

Called it. Jus' sayin'. Same with Morgan and Kvesic. Bow before your king of predictions/king of informed guesses. :p

My next predictions: Glos recruit Tui and Buchanan. I wish.

On a more serious note, in the first week, there is some mixed news as far as fly-halves go. Farrell seemed to play very well against Irish. Not exactly the hardest team, but he looks to be developing his attacking game much faster than I anticipated he would. Also, Ford had a pretty damn decent game against Newcastle, controlling the hell out of the second half. Again, not-so-difficult opponents. On the bad side, Burns had a terrible game for Glos and Flood seems to be courting interest.

Latest posts