• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England tour of Argentina

We could also see players like Hartley, Robshaw and Brown get rested like last time.

Also expect to see Tom Wood going. He was captain last time!

Guessing the Williams named is Leicester's Mike Williams, we might get Brendan O'Connor though, better player and is English qualified through parentage

I really hope Tom Wood doesn't go. This tour should be used to look at players who could be playing in the next 2 world cups. Give the coaching team an idea of who might be a long term prospect. Not an over the hill, penalty machine.

I think Hartley might go to provide some experience.

Brown I hope will be rested.

Robshaw I'm not sure about. Do you want to give him some game time or a rest after being injured for a long time. It's a toughie. However I do think the back row is our biggest issue, so maybe knowing robshaw's strengths, use it to test others.

I really hope Tom Wood doesn't go. This tour should be used to look at players who could be playing in the next 2 world cups. Give the coaching team an idea of who might be a long term prospect. Not an over the hill, penalty machine.

I think Hartley might go to provide some experience.

Brown I hope will be rested.

Robshaw I'm not sure about. Do you want to give him some game time or a rest after being injured for a long time. It's a toughie. However I do think the back row is our biggest issue, so maybe knowing robshaw's strengths, use it to test others.

We really should be using this tour to give fringe and young players a proper go against a tough Argentina team. Rest Robshaw, Haskell and Brown. Maybe even Care. We need to take players in those positions we need options in, and potentially better options too. We won't learn anything by taking them that we don't already know, and it's debatable if those players mentioned will be around in 2019. Lets use this to build.

Squad announcement at 12?

- - - Updated - - -

Too add, even if we lose 2-0 we're not going to lose enough ranking points to threaten top seed status for the WC 2019 draw.

C919Q78W0AA-6Gw.jpg:large

Goddamn that's a young side.

Wow! Ok, so I'd take the experience cause those young lads are going to need it :D

Still no Wade tho :(

Hopefully we'll see the young players get decent game time

- - - Updated - - -

I've counted 5 teenagers, and 3 lads who are 20! That's quite insane.

As much as I wanted youth, and was happy to see Hackshaw rested I'm actually quite impressed. Training and playing with such experience will be great for them.

Presuming these lads miss out on the JRWC this year?

What's wrong with Wasps players I wonder. Taylor and Robson should feel pretty hard done to along with Wade.

It's an exciting squad containing quite a few players I've never heard of

Taylor and Robson not going is mental,
No 15 other than Brown, Just some centres and flyhalves that have played there a bit :huh:

Delighted for the curry boys,
Gutted for Haley and Beaumont (Though with EJ thinking josh is a lock it makes sense)

I think it's quite easy to think "what has XXXXX done to not be picked?!" about the guys who went to SA last year, but I get the feeling that Eddie wants to have a look at a different set of players - he only has so much time.

So he can look at these guys, and going forward (Autumn onwards) bring the guys who he liked from last tour and this one into the squads.

It's an exciting squad containing quite a few players I've never heard of

Who don't you know?

This morning I have googled Will Collier, Nick Isiekwe, Piers Francis and Sam James

- - - Updated - - -

It does seem pretty unnecessary to 'get a look at' players who would be in the JWC in test matches. There's no rush is there?

Like to see what all the hype is about over underhill and also the currie twins. Heard good things about all, merchant i hope does well as a temp jj amd solomona and earles id like to see on the wings put a prop there just not jonny may.

Like to see lozovski and sladey get some game time too. Leave may on the plane and its an exciting young squad :)

Who organised this tour? and are any of the other home nations also going on tours? It doesn't seem fair for the home nations to be playing during this period as it's just going to wreck their ratings if they are playing against decent opposition. The draw apparently happens on the 10th so that won't affect their placing in the tournament. But still, these really aren't going to be their best squads, and it takes down the brand when you lose one of those matches (Wales vs Japan tour in 2013 [and yes, I know we lost to Japan in 2015, but look at our brand now as well]). It should be the Saxons team on that tour really, it will about 50-60% of what would be a Saxons squad anyway.

Are there 2 Jonny Mays?

Anyway an interesting squad. As others have commented very young. Slightly disappointed with some of the older names, but I guess they need the experience to balance the youth.
As for full back, apparently EJ think Mallinder is a long term prospect.

Agreed, it doesn't inspire me with confidence. I hope this is based on merit and not on name.

Well, no one could call Eddie Jones boring. I bet there is no one on this forum who has seen all those players play, so he can´t be faulted on his scouting either. I think I´m starting to see the logic in the selection too. I think not including Robson, Devoto, Yarde, Taylor etc. is to prove a point, namely that you can´t be satisfied with just making the squad. It is also about consistency, as those first 3 have definitely had good and bad patches, whereas someone like Care is consistent, if slightly limited (although his kicking game does seem to have improved recently, something Lancaster was unable to bring about). The same goes for Wood and quite a few others. I think Jones wants a guaranteed level of performance, even if that player will never get a 10/10. He has few players who should be capable of both, so it seems the idea is to fill the rest of spots with players who consistently get a 7/8. Finally, he seems to have gone on form, as Maunder has been starting games whilst Robson hasn´t, and Mallinder and Marchant have whilst Tompkins and Devoto (although superior defensive players) have not been regular starters over the whole season.

Anyway, I´m hoping we get at least one uncapped player in both the back three (seems inevitable, unless someone plays out of position) and more importantly the back row (I don´t think we can win the World Cup with just Wood, Haskell and Robshaw as the flankers, if they were good enough to win a World Cup they would have gone on at least one Lions tour by now). I don´t think we will see that many uncapped players playing though, I think it is more about giving the U20 guys experience of a tour with the senior team.

Honestly I don't like it.

I'm sure some journos will be happy becuase it contains a lot of young players.

BUT why?

I mean I get the likes of Earle, Marchant and Mallinder both are over 20 and I understand the curries as they are playing constantly in the Prem.

But why take Mean Joe and Isiekwe? Both would be better suited in the U20, I didn't think Joe was that impressive for the U20's as is his handling needed work and Isiewke literally made his Prem debut last week and I doubt will play again now this season.

Why not let them go and strengthen our U20's? Esp since we have Wade and Roko on the wing and a **** load of Locks still.

I mean Eddie won't be picking either of them. Just seems pointless and it annoys me as the NZ U20 team this year is pretty damn impressive.

Maunder is a mix very good player but isn't anywhere close to Robson yet.
I'm hoping to see a team of
1) Genge
2) Hartley
3) Hill
4) Ewels
5) Launchbury
6) Robshaw
7) Underhill (will be Haskell)
8) Hughes
9) Care
10) Ford
11) May
12) Francis
13) Slade
14) Solomona
15) Loz (Will be Brown)

16) Hartley
17) Mullan
18) Williams
19) Isiewke
20) Haskell (will be Underhill)
21) Maunder
22) Mallinder
23) Earle

Also why take 5 flankers and only 3 locks? Surely take Beaumont at least instead of a curry maybe.

Really surpised about how annoyed I am.
I'm worried Argentina will select a big side and smash us, just to get some confidence and a winning streak going.

And then why the fuk take someone like Wood who has shown he is average.

BUT why?

I mean I get the likes of Earle, Marchant and Mallinder both are over 20 and I understand the curries as they are playing constantly in the Prem.

But why take Mean Joe and Isiekwe? Both would be better suited in the U20, I didn't think Joe was that impressive for the U20's as is his handling needed work and Isiewke literally made his Prem debut last week and I doubt will play again now this season.

Why not let them go and strengthen our U20's? Esp since we have Wade and Roko on the wing and a **** load of Locks still.

I mean Eddie won't be picking either of them. Just seems pointless and it annoys me as the NZ U20 team this year is pretty damn impressive.

1) Genge
2) Hartley
3) Hill
4) Ewels
5) Launchbury
6) Robshaw
8) Hughes
9) Care
10) Ford
11) May
12) Francis
13) Slade
14) Solomona
15) Loz (Will be Brown)

16) Hartley
17) Mullan
18) Williams
19) Isiewke
21) Maunder
22) Mallinder
23) Earle

Also why take 5 flankers and only 3 locks? Surely take Beaumont at least instead of a curry maybe.

I'm worried Argentina will select a big side and smash us, just to get some confidence and a winning streak going.

Totally agree with the side you suggested, though still dont like may.

As for the young players and missing players... the young players barely capped prem level prob wont play but are real prospects for the future and giving them experience even training at this level will do them so much good i think so im not annoyed. Though a big fan of LCD im surprised TT isnt ahead of him.

Dont know much about francias, thought that would be 12 slade 13 merchant.

Totally agree with the side you suggested, though still dont like may.

As for the young players and missing players... the young players barely capped prem level prob wont play but are real prospects for the future and giving them experience even training at this level will do them so much good i think so im not annoyed. Though a big fan of LCD im surprised TT isnt ahead of him.

Dont know much about francias, thought that would be 12 slade 13 merchant.

Yeh but when there is a junior World Cup on and the fact that both curries and JC both yet to feature in a JRWC why not let them play in it? I mean they are only 18/19 FFS.

I'm sure the training would help but why not use them in the wider training squad in Auterm like he did Evans?
Give them a chance to win a medal like the Itojes, Nowell, Watson etc etc of the past it isn't like the JRWC has hindered development IMO.

BUT why?

1) Genge
2) Hartley
3) Hill
4) Ewels
5) Launchbury
6) Robshaw
8) Hughes
9) Care
10) Ford
11) May
12) Francis
13) Slade
14) Solomona
15) Loz (Will be Brown)

16) Hartley
17) Mullan
18) Williams
19) Isiewke
21) Maunder
22) Mallinder
23) Earle

I thought Argentina arnt selecting any super 15 players so I think they might have a B team feel to it.

I thought Argentina arnt selecting any super 15 players so I think they might have a B team feel to it.

Not sure on that they have to use Argentina based players and they will have a pretty small limit to pick from then.

We will see. But if I was them I would pick a strong team to smash England and get some positive support.

Can't find anywhere saying that they are not selecting super 15 players.

Latest posts