• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England tour of Argentina

Dont know much about francias, thought that would be 12 slade 13 merchant.
I've never understood the hype around Marchant, he strikes me as someone who's been able to coast by on their speed/agility without having to work on their basics (like Will Skelton with his size)

I surprised at the lack of Dan Robson and a fullback but happy Jones is willing to try out youth players. I agree that those we want in the U20 JRWC should probably have gone along to that instead though. Having said that NZ frequently bring very young players into the side and try to get caps to their best prospects asap rather than a "wait your turn" mentality that has held England back. Maybe Jones is looking for young players, particularly the flankers, who he can integrate into the England setup over the course of the next year and in that sense being with England would be more beneficial to squad cohesion than being in the JRWC.

We're two years out from a RWC. We have plenty of known quantities, but there are some glaring vacancies to be filled too. Probably right that EJ is looking at potential - while there are some v young kids, one or two of them could be in contention in a couple of years and he'll learn far more about their potential by working with them day to day in this environment, than from an age group competition.

I read somewhere that there wouldn't be any Jaguares players.....but that might have been on here!

I guess this suggests that EJ doesn't really that many of the mid-20's older players with premiership experience can make the step up. Instead he's looking at youth to take over from the current crop and wants to see who can perform under pressure. Let's just hope it doesn't go badly and knock the confidence of some of these guys.

We're two years out from a RWC. We have plenty of known quantities, but there are some glaring vacancies to be filled too. Probably right that EJ is looking at potential - while there are some v young kids, one or two of them could be in contention in a couple of years and he'll learn far more about their potential by working with them day to day in this environment, than from an age group competition.

I read somewhere that there wouldn't be any Jaguares players.....but that might have been on here!

This doesn't really stack up with the squad that's been picked though. Experienced players that are in our 'vacancies' like Brown, Hartley, Care are all going. Brown is the only fullback on tour, so he's playing 80 minutes in both games. And the players who are getting consistent game time in prem who have been around the squad before, in the 22-25 age range that you normally want to bring through aren't going. People like Taylor, Beaumont, Haley, Robson. Instead they're taking a bunch of under 20s, which is interesting but they are the sort of players who get most of their game time at youth level, and would be doing if they went to the JWC. It seems like the players that are actually 2 years from international class (as oppose to 4-5 years away) are staying put.

I've never understood the hype around Marchant, he strikes me as someone who's been able to coast by on their speed/agility without having to work on their basics (like Will Skelton with his size)

I've been impressed when watching Marchant for Quins. Obv pace and a good outside break, ncie step etc but his tacking is pretty good, inc a decent scramble last ditch effort last weekend on Campagnoro (i think), defensive line speed is no different to the other Quins. Passes a lot too, rather than take contact with his smaller size....

Joe Cokanasiga, 19, and he is a big guy and quick, ive seen highlights of him he looks good, interested to see how he handles a step up. I like the sound of a powerful winger outside of JJ in the future

Lots of things need work - he's clearly very talented but raw... like... really, really raw.

Will we need more players for the Barbarians game?
If you guess at a wasps/Sarries final that's a lot of players unavaible, if you throw in Ospreys and London Irish (when are the playoffs?) That's another couple.

Has Piers Francis signed for a Prem team? Otherwise surely he can't be selected - unless making sure he gets capped for England ASAP so the Kiwis can't counts as "exceptional circumstances"?

Can't wait to see Underhill in action. Practically salivating

Is it?

I mean the how many Saracens players picked will actually be playing in the final? Loz.
Earle and Isiewke will be needing injuries to get a look in IMO.

Wasps Launchbury, Hughes, Haskell.

Guess the team could if that was the case
1) Genge, 2) Hartley, 3) Hill
4) Ewels, 5) New player
6) Robshaw, 7) Curry, 8) Wood (dear god)
9) Care, 10) Ford
12) Slade, 13) James
11) May, 14) Solomona, 15) Brown

16) Cowan-Dickie, 17) Mullan, 18) Williams
19) New Player, 20) Curry
21) Maunder, 22) Mallinder, 23) Marchant

Has Piers Francis signed for a Prem team? Otherwise surely he can't be selected - unless making sure he gets capped for England ASAP so the Kiwis can't counts as "exceptional circumstances"?

Can't wait to see Underhill in action. Practically salivating

Northampton.

Cheers rats, must've missed the news.

Haven't seen much of him except the Blues-Canes game the other day (where he was unspectacularly solid), but holding down the flyhalf spot for an NZ team he must be pretty good

Is it?

I mean the how many Saracens players picked will actually be playing in the final? Loz.

4) Ewels, 5) New player
9) Care, 10) Ford
12) Slade, 13) James

Fair point, I was just thinking all club players would be unavaible rather than just their first choice 23.
You think wasps won't want their first choice loosehead for a grandfinal though? :p

I'm just holding out hope Haley gets a shout, but with Brown starting and Mallinder (and theoretically James) able to cover there's not much chance of it

This doesn't really stack up with the squad that's been picked though. Experienced players that are in our 'vacancies' like Brown, Hartley, Care are all going. Brown is the only fullback on tour, so he's playing 80 minutes in both games. And the players who are getting consistent game time in prem who have been around the squad before, in the 22-25 age range that you normally want to bring through aren't going. People like Taylor, Beaumont, Haley, Robson. Instead they're taking a bunch of under 20s, which is interesting but they are the sort of players who get most of their game time at youth level, and would be doing if they went to the JWC. It seems like the players that are actually 2 years from international class (as oppose to 4-5 years away) are staying put.

AARRRGGGHHHH. Just lost the essay I'd typed in response. Can't be ar$ed to do it again.

Not bothered on the FB front. Browns successor will spend the summer in NZ, just not sure whether it's Watson, Nowell or Daly!

I was kinda hoping one of Watson or Nowell wouldn't get selected and Brown would go as third choice FB.....I was hoping the same would happen with Hartley as well.

Trying to drop the two next 6 natikns will be harder now....

4) Ewels, 5) New player
9) Care, 10) Ford
12) Slade, 13) James

Without their Lions there is still a good looking and experienced side in that line up.

Is it?

4) Ewels, 5) New player
9) Care, 10) Ford
12) Slade, 13) James

As a saints fan I'd rather have Crane at 8 than wood.

Latest posts