• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England tour of Argentina

What about picking players like Ben Morgan, Alex Goode and Dave Attwood? Surely it doesn't have to be first choice or newbs.

This is where it is slightly confusing about Eddie Jones' thinking and we are left guessing. The best I can see is that he is happy with his overall squad for 2019 and doesn't see most of the older club players (27+) making a significant impact before then. So he is looking younger in general.

I can't see Eddie calling up additional players who haven't been selected for the touring squad or for the training squads.

Having said that, Hughes limped off yesterday, so if it's any more serious than ruling him out of the final, we might need another 8, which could give Morgan a chance.

He's clearly not fancied by Eddie, but based upon this season's performances, I'd have him ahead of Beaumont by a distance and his experience would definitely be of benefit to an otherwise inexperienced group.

Attwood has probably been overlooked because he has no realistic chance of being picked ahead of Itoje, Kruis, Launchbury or Lawes in between now and the World Cup. I get that, but still - I'd rate him as a significantly better player than Will Spencer and I don't understand why we would effectively alienate him when we might actually need him.

I get that we're trying to develop high potential young players, but I'd also question why we're overlooking, proven test players in back-up roles for some positions. I get it with players like the Currys or Maunder who are regularly starting at club level and have the potential to fill genuine gaps in the side, but taking Isiekwe as an example - how many Premiership/European games is he going to play in the next two years? Not very many I'd wager ... It seems ludicrous to think that come the end of the Argentina tour, he'll be likely to have featured in more test internationals than league games and I just don't see where his game time will come from at Sarries? Even with Hamilton going, Skelton and Day have signed for next season which will surely limit his prospects? We're going to the World Cup with the aim of trying to win it and in the event that there's some kind of injury crisis in the second row, calling up someone like Isiekwe who'll be lucky to have played less than 20 league games by then is not something I'd want to contemplate. In that situation, someone like Attwood would be a valuable option. I can't imagine he'd tell Eddie to do one, but it would make a lot more sense to keep him involved to some small degree.

Goode is done though ...

Yeah Isekewi et al should be playing knockouts in the under 20s world championship. It's what it's there for.

I don't really rate Goode either, just the type of player who could add some experience to the side.

Yes and no.

My thoughts are that a player needs to be seeing first-team rugby in order to be in consideration.

7 and 9 are areas where we are relatively weak and need more options hence the call-ups for the Currys, Underhill and Maunder. All of those are regularly featuring in the league for their clubs, as is Cokanasiga (albeit in the Championship for now).

Arguably the Currys are there on merit. Players like Wilson, Wray and Armand would probably feel as though they should be there instead, but at least Ben and Tom have been putting in eye-catching performances for Sale.

Isiekwe and Earle have mainly featured (sparingly) in the LV Cup, which makes them the outliers for me.

I'm not wholly against them going, but as I said in my previous post, I don't fully understand why were not balancing developing these youngsters at the same time as keeping the experienced back up options involved.

We've definitely got a LOT better and bringing through talent from the age grades, but I don't really get doing it so early? I'm a strong believer in players earning their caps and I don't feel as though a handful of minutes in the LV Cup warrants selection however high a players potential might be considered to be.

I think Ben Youngs might be coming in for the barbarians game,
Him and Jonny May are headed to England training camp together anyway

Ok so I thought I'd do some more in depth analysis so get my head around Eddie Jones' thinking. I'm going to look at each position. My general view is that most of the selections are either about depth or age. Jones is either looking to strengthen depth or depth is good enough that he is looking to the future. I think he has a good idea of his squad for 2019. I have included players ages as well, hence the number.

Just some quick assumptions, but regulars are those who have been playing recently or trained often enough, example Ellis Genge for me is now a regular in the squad and above the likes of Matt Mullan. When it comes to missing out, I am looking at players who have recently been called up and then dropped. There may be others, but this is more a look at who has been picked than not.

So here are the forwards.

Loosehead:

Regulars: Mako Vunipola(Lions)-26, Joe Marler(Lions)-26, Ellis Genge-21

Called up: Matt Mullan-30

Training Squad: Ross Harrison-24

Summary: Ok…this is pretty simple. Real depth here, with some young players for probably the next 2 world cups and 2 Lions. Mullan called up for some experience to support Genge. Harrison as an outside look if things go badly wrong with injuries.

Hooker:

Regulars: Dylan Hartley-31, Jamie George(Lions)-26

Called up: Luke Cowan-Dickie-23

Training Squad: Rob Buchanan-26, Jack Singleton-21

Missed Out: Tommy Taylor-25, Rob Webber-30, Tom Youngs-30

Summary: Here it is only a matter of time before George is number 1. Not sure how long Hartley will stay in Jones' plans. Cowan Dickie is obviously number 3 with Buchanan and Singleton as possible alternatives. Webber's form has dropped and is now 30+. Youngs is too inconsistent and 30+(And now unavailable anyway). Not sure though what Taylor has done wrong. My guess would be that he is not good enough when carrying compared with others.

Tighthead:

Regulars: Dan Cole(Lions)-29, Kyle Sinckler(Lions)-24

Called up: Will Collier-26, Paul Hill-22, Harry Williams-23

Training Squad: Jamal Ford-Robinson-23, Nick Schonert-25

Missed Out: Nathan Catt-29, Kieran Brookes-26, David Wilson-30, Henry Thomas-25

Summary: This for me is a real conundrum. Dan Cole has been mister consistent, starting every game for Jones. Sinckler is up and coming. After that ??? I think the missed out highlights how many guys have been tried recently. You then have Collier, Hill and Williams all competing for the 3rd spot with Ford-Robinson and Schonert training while the play-offs happened. Obviously those missing out are not rated by Jones, but he is not sure past the first 2. Real chance for someone to stand up.

Locks:

Regulars: George Kruis(Lions)-27, Maro Itoje(Lions)-22, Joe Launchbury-25, Courtney Lawes(Lions)-27

Called up: Charlie Ewels-21, Nick Isiekwe-19

Training Squad: Tom Ellis-22, Will Spencer-24

Missed Out: Dave Attwood-30

Summary: Pretty simple again, great depth, young players. Jones is looking to the future with Ewels and Isiekwe. Attwood is below others and older now.

Blindside:

Regulars: Chris Robshaw-30, Maro Itoje(Lions)-22(As cover)

Called up:

Training Squad: Mark Wilson-27

Missed out: Jack Clifford-23

Openside:

Regulars: James Haskell-32, Tom Wood-30

Called up: Tom Curry-18, Ben Curry-18, Sam Underhill-20

Missed out: Teimana Harrison-24, Matt Kvesic-25

Summary: Now I'm sticking these two together, partly as often players swap positions, but also because it is so confusing. Now I've stuck players where they seem to have played recently, but as I said many of them might swap round. You have 3 players in Robshaw, Haskell and Wood who have played recently, but are all 30+. After that Harrison and Clifford have been tried and dropped. Matt Kvesic is also mid 20's but played poorly by his own admission and looking to restart his career. The rest of the call ups are the Curry brothers, and Underhill who are supposed to be very good, but all young. I should also mention Itoje as cover. I guess Jones doesn't rate anyone in the 22+ bracket and is looking younger…

Number 8:

Regulars: Billy Vunipola(Lions)-24, Nathan Hughes-25

Called up: N/A

Training: Josh Beaumont-25

Missed out: Ben Morgan-28, Tom Waldrom-34

Summary: Jones has made it clear who he wants. You could argue Morgan is unlucky, Waldrom in form is good, but too old. Beaumont has an outside chance but unlikely.

To summarise, loosehead, locks and number 8 seem pretty set. Hooker and tighthead is about developing a bit more depth. Flankers…I have no idea. This seems to me to be one of Eddies biggest gambles. He has got very experience and completely inexperienced players. He's basically ignored any mid-20's flankers and he only 2 that have played recently and offered some transition he has dropped. Guess it's hoping that the older ones don't get injured(again) or the younger ones come good quickly.

So now it's time for the backs. My general view is that most of the selections are either about depth or age. Jones is either looking to strengthen depth or depth is good enough that he is looking to the future. I think he has a good idea of his squad for 2019. I have included players ages as well, hence the number.

Just some quick assumptions, but regulars are those who have been playing recently or trained often enough, example Ellis Genge for me is now a regular in the squad and above the likes of Matt Mullan. When it comes to missing out, I am looking at players who have recently been called up and then dropped. There may be others, but this is more a look at who has been picked than not.

So here are the backs.

Scrum Half:

Regulars: Danny Care-30, Ben Youngs(Lions/now absent?)-27

Called up: Jack Maunder-20

Training Squad: Willi Heinz-30

Missed Out: Richard Wigglesworth-33, Dan Robson-25, Joe Simpson-28

Summary: Here Jones has his 2 main guys. Wigglesworth is now too old, depite how well he is playing. Maunder is being given a chance. Heinz, some experience whilst training? Not sure what Robson and Simpson are doing wrong really. You could say not playing regularly enough, but then that would also apply to Maunder. It's possible Jones wants sniping scrum halves, instead of kicking ones.

Fly half:

Regulars: Owen Farrell(Lions)-25, George Ford-23

Called up: Alex Lozowski-23, Piers Francis-26

Training Squad: N/A

Missed Out: Freddie Burns-26, Danny Cipriani-29

Summary: Now this is the start of a very versatile backs division, where many players cover more than one position. Farrell and Ford are clearly there. Lozowski is young, but playing well. Francis is new and unknown, but supposedly very good. Burns has played well recently, but probably left it too late to feature and needs some consistency into next year. Cipriani hasn't played regularly and can be too inconsistent. He is also getting older how, which I think counts against him under Jones.

Inside Centre:

Regulars: Owen Farrell(Lions)-25, Henry Slade-23

Called up: Harry Mallinder-20(Also possibly full back)

Training Squad: Ryan Mills-24

Missed Out: Ollie Devoto-23

Summary: Farrell has taken this spot, with Daly also providing cover. Slade hasn't done much wrong, but the Ford-Farrell combo as worked really well. Mallinder is young and coming up, but apparently Jones also sees him as a full back, so not sure if he would play here. Mills training as an outside option. Devoto has had a look in with training squads, but I guess no longer fits into Jones' plans. I think he wants a 12 who can kick and pass to a very high standard.

Outside Centre:

Regulars: Jonathan Joseph(Lions)-25, Ben Te'o(Lions)-30

Called up: Sam James-22, Joe Marchant-21

Training Squad: N/A

Missed Out: Luther Burrell-29, Kyle Eastmond-27

Summary: Joseph and Te'o on Lions duty. If Tuilagi was fit and playing would he feature??? For me he is in the same mold as Te'o. Burrell is obviously out of favour. Eastmond has completely fallen away. That leaves Sam James and Joe Marchant, who are young and competing for depth.

Wings:

Regulars: Elliot Daly(Lions)-24, Jack Nowell(Lions)-23, Anthony Watson(Lions)-23, Jonny May-26

Called up: Denny Solomona-23, Joe Cokanasiga-19, Nathan Earle-22

Training Squad: Marland Yarde-24

Missed out:, Christian Wade-26, Semesa Rokoduguni-29, Matt Banahan-30, Chris Ashton-30

Summary: A lot of depth here and versatility. Watson and Daly can cover full back as well and personally I think Watson will be there very soon. May has pace to beat almost anyone. Nowell is very good all-round. Solomona is new, but has played incredibly. Cokanasiga and Earle are young to provide future options. Wade is vulnerable defensively, similar to Ashton. Both great at finishing tries, but I think Jones wants wings who are strong defensively too. Rokoduguni seems to be out of favour and while Banahan has played well, he isn't what Jones is looking for. Yarde in the training squad, but you have to think he's had his chance too.

Full Back:

Regulars: Mike Brown-31

Called up: N/A

Training Squad: Mike Haley-22, Jason Woodward-26

Missed out: Alex Goode-29, Chris Pennell-30

Summary: Last the weird one. All faith in Brown, who personally has slowed down and is not as big a threat anymore. I think Watson will replace soon. Supposedly Mallinder is also seen by Jones as a full back. Haley and Woodward training as options. Pennell was talked about, but has disappeared and is now 30+. Goode…I guess to inconsistent for Jones. He's had his chances, but hasn't broken past Brown. Personally Goode plays far better for Saracens than he does for England.

So overall I think Jones has an idea of what he wants, and has picked many players who can cover other options and are solid players all round, instead of strong in one area. For me the real areas of concern are 9 and 15, where there is a lack of depth and no obvious player/players who can step up instantly.

Further looking, there is definitely a lack of players around 24+ being called up as new caps. It really does seem that Jones doesn't feel those club players can make a major impact on the squad.
Out of all the new call ups, only Will Collier and Piers Francis are over 23. Matt Mullan has been on the fringe for a while, so I won't include him as new.

Squad is
1) Genge, Harrison (FFS)
2) Buchanan, Singleton,
3) Schonert, Ford-Robinson, Collier
Lock) Spencer, Ewels, Isiekwe,
Back Row) Beaumont, Curry, Curry, Ellis, Underhill, Robshaw, Wilson,
9) Wigglesworth, Care,
10) Ford, Lozowski
11) May, earle
12) James, Mills
13) Marchant,
14) Yarde
15) Brown, Haley

God that front row outside of Genge is so meh.

Guessing looking at
1) Genge
2) Buchanan
3) Schonert
4) Ewels
5) Beaumont
6) Robshaw
7) Underhill
8) Wilson
9) Wigglesworth
10) Loz
11) May
12) James
13) Marchant
14) Yarde
15) Brown

16) Singleton
17) Harrison
18) Collier
19) Ellis
20) Curry?
21) Care
22) Ford
23) Haley

Can see a Baabaas win.

Why FFS after Harrison? He's finished the season really really strongly, best I've seen him play. It was our tightheads causing the scrum to get ****** up. Ross at least held his own against everyone I can remember, And his work rate is second to none (had to play full 80 for most of the season, after Fridges injury) and didn't slow down. Won player of the season and players player, in the end of season awards at Sale. He's not first choice EPS standard, But a bench spot in a Mickey mouse game is no drama.

23 announced on Thursday

Can't see the barbarians winning, their whole set up is ****, they should just scrap it at this point imo.

Is Wigglesworth cofirmed anywhere? Obviously most people expected Sarries in the final, so it's a bonus that they can report early. Tbh if the Argentina squad is confusing in places, then Baabaa's is anyones guess. Who out of the training squad will have impressed? I guess wait until Thursday to see who is in the squad now that Leicester and Sarries players are available.

Why FFS after Harrison? He's finished the season really really strongly, best I've seen him play. It was our tightheads causing the scrum to get ****** up. Ross at least held his own against everyone I can remember, And his work rate is second to none (had to play full 80 for most of the season, after Fridges injury) and didn't slow down. Won player of the season and players player, in the end of season awards at Sale. He's not first choice EPS standard, But a bench spot in a Mickey mouse game is no drama.

23 announced on Thursday

Can't see the barbarians winning, their whole set up is ****, they should just scrap it at this point imo.

FFS because he should of played TH v Tigers.

Is Wigglesworth cofirmed anywhere? Obviously most people expected Sarries in the final, so it's a bonus that they can report early. Tbh if the Argentina squad is confusing in places, then Baabaa's is anyones guess. Who out of the training squad will have impressed? I guess wait until Thursday to see who is in the squad now that Leicester and Sarries players are available.

The squad has been confirmed by England for the baabaa games.

Ah finally found the squad announcement. Interestingly Yarde stays and Solomona goes, despite Yarde not being picked in the original squad announcement.

Forwards are the same with the addition of Genge, Isiekwe and Underhill
However backs have had Earle in for Solomona, Wigglesworth for Heinz (Happy with that) and Lozowski for Woodward.

Yeah - Solomona's absence is odd considering he was definitely named in the touring squad.

I'm not sure on the whole squad, but I do know that the Barbarians are likely to have one of the stronger lineups they've had in a while.

The ones I can remember include Pienaar, Charles Piutau, Dusautoir, Steffon Armitage, Aki and Isa. Could be a pretty smart side. That back row could be tough to compete with.

Problem is, with the Lions and play offs some of these guys aren't even third or fourth choice. Depth is great, but in this case any players with genuine chance might struggle to impress if this team struggles.

Gotta feel for Billy, and chuffed that Mr Haskell has got what he's wanted. But it really opens the door for Underhill or the Curry bro's to get more game time on this tour.

Well when you only have 4 players with experience for 3 places and one gets called up to the Lions, someone is definitely getting game time. Question I have is will Wood start or will Jones go with Underhill/a Curry with Wood coming on if needed.

Robshaw in the squad too remember? So probably 6. Robshaw 7. Underhill 8. Hughes

Curry Twins on bench maybe? 6/2 split is Loz/Slade can cover 10/12/15

Btw, is Wood injured? Didn't play Sat, and pulled up injured the week before?! Not in the squad to face BaaBaas?

Latest posts