• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England tour of Argentina

Maverick1987

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leicester
Just starting up a thread here for when the lions squad comes out we will have a better idea of who will go then .

Denny Solomona anyone ? ;)

Denny Solomona anyone ? ;)[/QUOTE]

Definitely goes I reckon. It's a bit controversial but I don't think Eddie cares.

Sounds like Gatland isn't taking any of wingers though out of the backs our 2nd choice 13 and our 1st choice 12 and 1st choice 9. We may need to experiment at 12 but that's really it in the backs.

Even forwards it's only the front row where decisions will need to be made. All 4 of our international class locks and Dave Attwood won't be going. The backrow we'll stick Hughes in at 8 again. That leaves the front row where Gatland does seam like he's going to pick the English players. Not sure how we.won so many game with just a decent front row but Gats seams to think so.

This will feel more like and injury deprived tour than loosing all out top players currently.

Sounds like Gatland isn't taking any of wingers though out of the backs our 2nd choice 13 and our 1st choice 12 and 1st choice 9. We may need to experiment at 12 but that's really it in the backs.

Even forwards it's only the front row where decisions will need to be made. All 4 of our international class locks and Dave Attwood won't be going. The backrow we'll stick Hughes in at 8 again. That leaves the front row where Gatland does seam like he's going to pick the English players. Not sure how we.won so many game with just a decent front row but Gats seams to think so.

This will feel more like and injury deprived tour than loosing all out top players currently.

Jones said he will rest some players . I reckon we will see a good few new caps coming in . Around 10 if you ask me

Key things for me on this tour is to get some new back rows into the team, a new 15, another SH needs caps and we need a back 12.

I know there are some players already identified as the above but they need to bed into the team even if they are 2/3rd choice.

I see Slade as the backup 12, Haley as the 15, robson as the scrum half and backrow I'm not really sure about.

Key things for me on this tour is to get some new back rows into the team, a new 15, another SH needs caps and we need a back 12.

I know there are some players already identified as the above but they need to bed into the team even if they are 2/3rd choice.

I see Slade as the backup 12, Haley as the 15, robson as the scrum half and backrow I'm not really sure about.

Think that this tour is a perfect time to take some risks and bring in some new blood whether it be uncapped players or those with a handful of caps. Let some of those experienced heads who won't be in NZ have a summer off. A series defeat and difficult games would not be the end of the world and will actually show who has the right stuff for the future. The 1998 tour of hell was awfull but bought a few through who were integral in 03 and quickly meant others where found out and shown to be no more than club players.

Last edited:
I'm going to wait until tomorrow, but from all the leaked squads and media coverage, it sounds like we'll be missing a fair few, but not necessarily the ones we expected ...

If Launchbury and Joseph miss out (as the BBC have reported), my anger at Gatland's bizarre selections will be tempered by the prospect of a Ford, Slade, Joseph midfield. I'd also be tempted to make Launchbury captain.

I'm going to wait until tomorrow, but from all the leaked squads and media coverage, it sounds like we'll be missing a fair few, but not necessarily the ones we expected ...

If Launchbury and Joseph miss out (as the BBC have reported), my anger at Gatland's bizarre selections will be tempered by the prospect of a Ford, Slade, Joseph midfield. I'd also be tempted to make Launchbury captain.

New rumours are that Launchbury turned down a place on the tour cos he's getting married . In which case he'd probably miss the Argentina tour too . Didn't Eddie say he was going to rest our main players ?

Have to agree with this.

I think the back row needs and thorough examination, because apart from Scotland it was probably the weakest area during the Six Nations.
Full back is another key area with Brown looking past his best. Watson is a possible replacement, but a chance to generate some depth in the position.
Slade has to go and needs to develop as a suitable alternative to Farrell.
Robson at SH would work for me. Care and Youngs both seem to have stagnated and aren't getting younger.
FH...interesting one because you have Farrell and Ford, but Farrell has been playing at 12. Chance for someone else to impress.
Locks are fine and have depth, dunno who will play though with 3 and potentially 4 locks out if Launchbury doesn't play. Seems a bit excessive looking at 5th and 6th choice.
As for the front 3, Marler and Vunipola are playing well, though again maybe someone else can put their hand up. Another hooker to impress would be nice. For me in the front 3 it is looking for a replacement for Cole. I still think he gives away too many needless penalties.

Overall I hope we get to see some fringe players who take their chance to claim a spot in the squad.

Okay my England team now that we know the Lions picks
1) Genge, Hepburn
2) Hartley, Taylor, Cowan-Dickie
3) Williams, Whoever is left
4) Launchbury (Depending on marry rumour), Barrow
5) Attwood, Ewels
6) Robshaw, Williams
7) Haskell, Underhill
8) Hughes, Beaumont, Morgan
9) Care, Robson,
10) Ford, Loz
11) May, Solomona
12) Slade, James, Hill/Devoto
13) Thompkins, Marchant
14) Roko, Earle, Wade
15) Haley, Brown

Last edited:
So something like:

LH: Genge, Hepburn
Hooker: Hartley, Taylor, LCD
TH: Brookes, Hill, +1
Locks: Launchbury, Ewells, Barrow, + 1
Flankers: Robshaw, Haskell, Wood, Underhill,
No8: Hughes, Beaumont

SH: Care, Robson, Spencer
FH: Ford, Lozowski,
IC: 2 from Slade, James, Hill, Devoto
OC: Marchant, Tompkins
Wings: May, Yarde, Roku, Solomana (I hate the though of him playing for us though)
FB: Brown, Haley

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Im not a fan of Brookes at all (for obvious reasons) . He is unfit, fat and I don't believe can play at the tempo that Jones requires.

However....

What other TH's are ready to go. Hill has stalled a bit (but he's VERY young for a TH)

What other English Qualified TH's are ready?

We could also see players like Hartley, Robshaw and Brown get rested like last time.

Also expect to see Tom Wood going. He was captain last time!

Guessing the Williams named is Leicester's Mike Williams, we might get Brendan O'Connor though, better player and is English qualified through parentage

Latest posts