• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England tour of Argentina

As a saints fan I'd rather have Crane at 8 than wood.

Good lord.

Wonder if Odogwu might be looking at going to another country. Could easily see him going the way of Wadeand Sharples re England unfortunately. Doesn't help that Sale have dropped him to Nat two FFS.

Be interesting to see if Wade stays at Wasps, I'm sure he likes the club but it must be hard not to take the snubs personally. (I mean I wouldn't pick him if I'm being honest but how he isn't in that Argentina squad is beyond me. France must be looking a better option now.

Everyone seems to be assuming he could get more money in France, I'm not convinced that's the case.

Everyone seems to be assuming he could get more money in France, I'm not convinced that's the case.

I mean France do like big wingers but he has a huge try scoring record would be surpised if he didn't get one.

Japan might be more likely.

I mean I'm glad Earle is in he looks really dangerous (although a certain Mr Shaw calling him a Folau/Robinson Hybird is a bit much).

Wonder if Odogwu might be looking at going to another country. Could easily see him going the way of Wadeand Sharples re England unfortunately. Doesn't help that Sale have dropped him to Nat two FFS.
He's playing invitational 7s atm for Samurai, Just played in Hong Kong the other week.
A lot of our backs do that - Haley, Addison and Jennings have all done it
Suggesting he should move countries is a bit extreme considering he's played 13 games this season. Should Nathan Earle follow him to France? He's played less. That young Sarries lock who's touring has played once.

Last edited:
He's playing invitational 7s atm for Saracens, Just played in Hong Kong the other week.
A lot of our backs do that - Haley, Addison and Jennings have all done it
Suggesting he should move countries is a bit extreme considering he's played 13 games this season. Should Nathan Earle follow him to France? He's played less. That young Sarries lock who's touring has played once.

Think you're missing my point abit Olyy, I'm not on about from a Sale POV but from an England POV.

Eddie jones said he picked Hoe becuase he was big and fast that is all he cares about, well Odogwu is never going to be big is he.
And when you look back at all the other Wingers about how many of them have missed out becuase of not being "big" in modern times?

From a sale POV he should stay he's played in more games than he could ever have hoped for BUT at the same time it is odd that he hasn't played since making a really good impression.

Blame charnley,
He was promised first team rugby when he signed, it's why he picked us over wasps.
Charnley, Solomona and Odogwu only play wing so McGuigan has to be in the 23 to cover fullback, do Odogwu is the one that misses out. Hopefully Charnley goes back to league and we can all move on from this failed experiment.

Be interesting to see if Wade stays at Wasps, I'm sure he likes the club but it must be hard not to take the snubs personally

The nature of selection means he can't take it any other way! He's better than you, now he's better than you, they're a better combination without you....

I think his chances would soar to marginal if we had big powerful centres (albeit then he'd never the see the ball....).

Wonder what he's like off the field? I know Goode publicly called him out for pulling out of a Matt Hampson event. Any other smoke that might have been putting people off?

I quite like this squad in a way, my normal gripes about Tom Wood aside.

Tommy Taylor not being involves and the lack of a second fullback are the only real confusing factors to me.

I can understand the logic of the selection of the young guys. Take wing, Jones presumably is now happy with his knowledge of say, Yarde. He knows when he would select him, when he wouldn't and what he would like Yarde to improve. If he thinks Yarde is more likely to make that improvement training over summer and wants to get a close look at some young talent then I can accept that.

I quite like this squad in a way, my normal gripes about Tom Wood aside.

Tommy Taylor not being involves and the lack of a second fullback are the only real confusing factors to me.

I can understand the logic of the selection of the young guys. Take wing, Jones presumably is now happy with his knowledge of say, Yarde. He knows when he would select him, when he wouldn't and what he would like Yarde to improve. If he thinks Yarde is more likely to make that improvement training over summer and wants to get a close look at some young talent then I can accept that.

I agree mostly. I like the squad and the idea behind giving some guys a run in a tour environment that will help some shine and expose others who just won't be good enough. I think EJ knows the core of the squad he wants for 2019RWC baring a few spots and is using the tour to see if there is anything young and exciting to come in and develop more that will be in come RWC time. You watch only half dozen of these new cap tourists will be in and around come AI and Six nations.

Only surprise for me is no Taylor, Thacker or Haley.

I'm not surprised at Thacker - where would you play him? He looks drastically undersized in the prem, I can't see him ever making it to international rugby.
It's a shame because he's an incredibly talented player, But the way the game is these days I can't see an international coach picking a 5ft8 14st7 hooker/openside. One of the theories about Kvesic is that he's too small and he's half a foot taller and 2 stone heavier

I'm not surprised at Thacker - where would you play him? He looks drastically undersized in the prem, I can't see him ever making it to international rugby.
It's a shame because he's an incredibly talented player, But the way the game is these days I can't see an international coach picking a 5ft8 14st7 hooker/openside. One of the theories about Kvesic is that he's too small and he's half a foot taller and 2 stone heavier

I understand what your saying and I think your right which is shame as this tour and the progress he made this year would be ideal to see if he could make it but alas I agree an international coach will pass on him due to the way the game is. I agree he looks a hell of a player both at 2 and in the backrow when I have seen him play this year. EJs potential loss will be Tigers gain me thinks.

He is basically the Eddie Jones of modern rugby then! Should make a cracking coach

Just seen that Tom Curry made the most tackles of any player in the u20 6N, and missed 0.
Chuck that in with Ben Curry having the 2nd highest turnovers in a game since stats started being recorded in the prem, and the highest average turnovers per game, and they're really making a name for themselves.

He is basically the Eddie Jones of modern rugby then! Should make a cracking coach

Unlikely, he's English

In among the giants there's always an occasional place for the little guy. If Thacker starts winning a few turnovers we'll be proclaiming the next Neil Back. A smidge of a chance at 7, none at 2.

Agree with Olyy Thacker is undersized.

He is a fantastic athlete and if he was the size of say Hartley he would IMO be one of the best 2's around. BUT he isn't and whilst he is a brilliant player he just lacks the size needed for top international rugby.

After looking at the U20s Squad I realised that considering how many youngsters have been selected for Argentina, and that only 1 8 is going, surely Zach Mercer should be on the plane? Has been the stand out player in the U20s and has been very impressive in the Prem too. Would much rather have seen him go than Wood or one/both of the Currys.

Id be surprised if they don't call Mercer up for the Barbarians game, If Hughes is unavailable.
I was surprised he wasn't named as well, the articles I saw predicting the Currys being called up had Mercer there too. Has he played much in the prem? He's looked really good im u20s but the Currys have really stood out at senior and European level.

Also the rfu have Sam James down as having gone to wasps last year http://www.englandrugby.com/england/senior-england-men/squads/samuel-james/
Pre-emptive!

Last edited:
I think that the U20s is the right place for Mercer, where he's skipper and getting that leadership experience. Besides, the coach probably didn't want to lose his entire backrow ahead of the JRWC.

Beaumont should have gone i stead of Wood though.
1) IMO he is good enough, and would learn loads
2) it gives the squad a spare #8 in case Hughes gets broken (or called to NZ - now THAT would annoy the Irish)
3) it gives the squad a spare lock in case if breakage
4) it stops Wood getting even more undeserved caps

Beaumont or Mercer would both have made sense. Beaumont more so perhaps as he is considered a lock.

Considering the likelihood of a back row injury or two in the Lions squad, I would be surprised to see either of them end up in Argentina.

Latest posts