• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England tour of Argentina

Both are 7s but sometimes at Sale one will play 6 for the sake of having both on the pitch. Both are clearly 7s though.

Fair enough, but is that a bad thing? Make us alot more competitive at the breakdown and they are not small guys by any means, just hope robshaw doesnt play every minute, need to develop SU and the currys badly

I hope may and yarde dont get a look in need earle and cockasanga or prob solomona :) forgive me for the spelling :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too surprised if Eddie's thinking of starting Robshaw with Underhill, then switching SU to blindside when Curry comes on.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing that. Underhill has been playing 6 for Ospreys with Tipuric at 7 so he knows the role.

That said, I'd be equally happy to see Wilson get a chance.

I like Wilson, but I'd rather than both Curries and SU all get enough game-time; and that Sam gets some on both flanks.

The above is about the only way I can see that happening without losing what experience we have too early in the matches.

Does anyone know the average age of this squad? And this tour is about developing the flankers and wingers its the only position i can realisticly see them getting game time for 2019, shame for isekwe he has alot of talent but is behind itoje and kruis at sarries and also behind launch lawes and ewels for england

Does anyone know the average age of this squad? And this tour is about developing the flankers and wingers its the only position i can realisticly see them getting game time for 2019, shame for isekwe he has alot of talent but is behind itoje and kruis at sarries and also behind launch lawes and ewels for england

With Day and Skelton on the way to Sarrues next season Isiekwe would be very lucky to only be behind Itoje and Kruis for Sarries.

With Day and Skelton on the way to Sarrues next season Isiekwe would be very lucky to only be behind Itoje and Kruis for Sarries.

Should still get good game time for his age.
Itoje and Kruis are realistically going to be with England for a fair amount of time so he still has international periods to play in.
Saracens will most likely target him playing regular senior rugby in the next 3 seasons and whilst he will most likely be in wider training squads i don't see him being in the main squad again till after the RWC.

Should still get good game time for his age.
Itoje and Kruis are realistically going to be with England for a fair amount of time so he still has international periods to play in.
Saracens will most likely target him playing regular senior rugby in the next 3 seasons and whilst he will most likely be in wider training squads i don't see him being in the main squad again till after the RWC.

Chiefs are loosing parling would excited to see what rob baxter could do with isekwe and he would get so much more time on the field, but thats just me as a chiefs fan but wont happen. Just hope he can develop at sarries alot of role models and talant to learn from but maybe LV CUP and the odd game.

Chiefs are loosing parling would excited to see what rob baxter could do with isekwe and he would get so much more time on the field, but thats just me as a chiefs fan but wont happen. Just hope he can develop at sarries alot of role models and talant to learn from but maybe LV CUP and the odd game.
I was thinking the same thing, Chiefs are lacking a real top quality lock and I think Isiekwe could turn into that, especially with Baxter's guidance. Him, Caufield and Hill would be a nice set of young locks to have playing together. Agree though that it likely won't happen.

Edit:
Slightly unrelated to the post but it'd make sense to Ewels or Attwood to sign with us. Either one would be more or less guaranteed to start which they aren't at Bath. Attwood would suit our style very well I think.

I was thinking the same thing, Chiefs are lacking a real top quality lock and I think Isiekwe could turn into that, especially with Baxter's guidance. Him, Caufield and Hill would be a nice set of young locks to have playing together. Agree though that it likely won't happen.

Edit:
Slightly unrelated to the post but it'd make sense to Ewels or Attwood to sign with us. Either one would be more or less guaranteed to start which they aren't at Bath. Attwood would suit our style very well I think.

I'd quite like to see Attwood at chiefs if he doesn't get game time at Bath. He looked good for England until he picked up his injury then he sort of fell by the wayside. Probably our best set piece lock (apart from lineouts which would be Kruis).

I like Wilson, but I'd rather than both Curries and SU all get enough game-time; and that Sam gets some on both flanks.

The above is about the only way I can see that happening without losing what experience we have too early in the matches.

Yeah. I tend to agree. I don't mind either way as I think Underhill and the Currys have a big future with England.

Even if Wilson and Armand don't get much/any game time on this tour, they still have the opportunity to create a good impression with Eddie.

I wouldn't mind seeing Attwood at Chiefs, but it's hardly like Bath are awash with locks. I'd class Garvey and Douglas as flankers which leaves only Charteris and Stooke as the other out-and-out locks.

Also - I saw that TRU are linking Saracens with Gerbrant Grobler ... that would put Isiekwe even further down the pecking order.

Since when is Attwood not guaranteed starts at Bath? He and Charteris are our first choice locks, with Ewels on the bench, behind those 3 there's Stooke who's solid but not really challenging them, and... Douglas in the academy who seems to be converting from 6/8 to lock, and a couple of flankers who can cover. If anything, Bath are shy a lock, whilst Attwwood and Ewels are guaranteed game-time whenever they're fit.

With Charteris at 34 years old, it won't be too long before Ewels has overtaken him in the pecking order anyway, and not a bad old head to learn from in the mean time. It's already Charteris usually making way for Ewels in the second half.

Last edited:
First test,

1. Genge
2. Hartley(dont like it but no JG LCD TT,we have 4 so no need to delevop singleton he isnt going to make it and we need the leadership)
3. Williams
4. Eweles
5. Launchbury
6. Tom curry
7. Sam underhill
8. Hughes
9. Danny care
10. George ford
11. Joe cokanasiga (just not may,ffs not may)
12. Henry slade ( always wanted to see ford slade combination as far as IC's go i rate flade over faz but faz is a much better 10.)
13. Sam james ( not many other options but he isnt a bad player would rather have seen marchant)
14. Nathan Earle (deserves another chance but also looking forward to denny solomona)
15. Mike brown (obv....who else, no haley is there?)

16. Singleton ( if no TT)
17. Matt mullan
18. Will collier
19. Nick iseikwe
20. Ben curry
21. Jack maunder
22. Alex lozovski (can cover 10 12 and 15 if needed same as slade)
23. Denny solomona (impact player)

Thats my team for the first test. Experience comes in hartley, launchbury, ford and brown. Slade held his own in premiership final. And ewels has some experience. So with the need to develop 6 and 7 no need for robshaw with other experience in there. Tom at 6 and SU at 7 because both earned a place. Either leave tom on and bring om ben or move SU to 6 amd bring ben on at 7.

Backs we need a strong scrum half i rate maunder but still young and not a position to throw him in. Ford slade james, pretty easy choice could work well. Wings in order id like to see em ranked in this squad. Earle solomona cokanasiga yarde....... a prop......then may. Them 3 need experiance just to make that a real strenth of the english game giving multiple options and styles of play. Its the team id like to see but i bet robshaw and may will be in there.

If 6/2 split maunder 22 loz 23 and armand at 21 gives 8 cover aswel as the flanks.

So any changes or anyone go their own team? :)

I'd like us to know what we're dealing with before we leave players like Robshaw out.

Would be pretty embarrassing to have the best flanker in England sat twiddling his thumbs while we lost.

Yeah,
A] you don't leave Robshaw out when the team has this little experience running through it.
B] why play an out-and-out open side at 6, and a 6.5 at 7? Makes no sense, and if you play them both together, at least play them in their right positions.

Beyond that, whilst I don't get the hostility towards May, I'd agree with the rest of the squad, including leaving May out (on the bench for Solomona's)

Yeah,
A] you don't leave Robshaw out when the team has this little experience running through it.
B] why play an out-and-out open side at 6, and a 6.5 at 7? Makes no sense, and if you play them both together, at least play them in their right positions.

Beyond that, whilst I don't get the hostility towards May, I'd agree with the rest of the squad, including leaving May out (on the bench for Solomona's)
They have experiance in the prem at 6 amd i just want to give them as much experiance as possible rather than giving it to robshaw who we know is a real talant but in preperation for 2019 we need so many players in each position. Though i do get checking the argentina team before making the decision . We knoe what robshaw can do so may as well take the risk as the world rankings dont matter as the draws been done. still got launch Hartley with experiance and leaderships.

Hostility to may prob not necessary but i just dont see whats good about him apart from being really fast.

Looking at the backline that was training before they left we might see.
9 Care
10 Ford
11 Earle
12 Mallinder
13 Slade
14 Solomona
15 Brown

May had improved his all round game hugely before injury. Maybe yet to scale those heights again, but if you are a bit of a one trick pony, serious gas isn't a bad trick to have. All teams are wary of real pace. He'll be going to Japan.

Looking at the backline that was training before they left we might see.
9 Care
10 Ford
11 Earle
12 Mallinder
13 Slade
14 Solomona
15 Brown

Really surprised at mallinder and don't know why but in the prem he makes alot of wrong decisions i dont think hes ready i thought it would be slade, sam james. Like earle and solomona though

Mallinder's not ready but I guess the point is to identify a couple of bolters who might play a part in 2019, see how they cope with the pressure, act around camp etc. Mallinder has his flaws, but also a very ceiling. Worth a look.

Latest posts