• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England v Barbarians

S

SecondRow04

The England team to play the Barbarians on saturday

England: 15 Delon Armitage (London Irish), 14 Ben Foden (Northampton), 13 Jamie Noon (Newcastle), 12 Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins), 11 Matt Banahan (Bath), 10 Andy Goode (Brive), 9 Danny Care (Harlequins), 8 Nick Easter (Harlequins), 7 Lewis Moody (Leicester), 6 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), 5 Louis Deacon (Leicester), 4 Steve Borthwick (Saracens, capt), 3 David Wilson (Newcastle), 2 Dylan Harltey (Northampton), 1 Tim Payne (Wasps).

Replacements: 16 Steve Thompson (Brive), 17 Nick Wood (Gloucester), 18 Chris Jones (Sale Sharks), 19 Steffon Armitage (London Irish), 20 James Haskell (Wasps), 21 Paul Hodgson (London Irish), 22 Tom May (Newcastle).

fairly strong side although i would have started Tom May because of form to see what he can do in an england shirt. Nice to see JTH and Robshaw given a chance to bring their season form to the england team. Glad to see Banahan given a chance to step up from the saxons. Hopefully the Barbarians will name a strong team as well to provide a good challenge before the Argentina games. Should be a good saturday indeed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Second Rower @ May 27 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The England team to play the Barbarians on saturday

England: 15 Delon Armitage (London Irish), 14 Ben Foden (Northampton), 13 Jamie Noon (Newcastle), 12 Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins), 11 Matt Banahan (Bath), 10 Andy Goode (Brive), 9 Danny Care (Harlequins), 8 Nick Easter (Harlequins), 7 Lewis Moody (Leicester), 6 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), 5 Louis Deacon (Leicester), 4 Steve Borthwick (Saracens, capt), 3 David Wilson (Newcastle), 2 Dylan Harltey (Northampton), 1 Tim Payne (Wasps).

Replacements: 16 Steve Thompson (Brive), 17 Nick Wood (Gloucester), 18 Chris Jones (Sale Sharks), 19 Steffon Armitage (London Irish), 20 James Haskell (Wasps), 21 Paul Hodgson (London Irish), 22 Tom May (Newcastle).

fairly strong side although i would have started Tom May because of form to see what he can do in an england shirt. Nice to see JTH and Robshaw given a chance to bring their season form to the england team. Glad to see Banahan given a chance to step up from the saxons. Hopefully the Barbarians will name a strong team as well to provide a good challenge before the Argentina games. Should be a good saturday indeed[/b]

Moody, Easter, Goode, Noon I think all have superior alternatives on the bench or in the saxons squad though perhaps some of them are injured that I don't know about.

Hipkiss or Tait over Noon anyday. But at least it ain't Tindall. I think S Armitage or Tom Rees deserves another shot ahead of Moody. Easter just isn't that good and isn't geting any younger so I can't see why he'd start ahead of a younger player like Haskell or Crane.

I know Meyler is in the Saxons but I'd rather have had him or Vesty ahead of the fat-man himself mr Andy Goode. Foden's out of position. He doesn't know if he's a scrumhalf or a fullback so why not go and confuse him more? Where's Varndell? May surely deserves a match. And I'm just presuming that Simpson-Daniel is injured.

And when's Borthewick gonna get kicked out?

Would of thought playing Strettle would of made more sense than playing Foden out of position,,

Surely a Baa baas game is a good way back after injury?

England:
15 Delon Armitage (London Irish) - Can't really argue. Lets see if he can resist putting his fingers in anybodys eyes
14 Ben Foden (Northampton) - Average form of late, the change ma help... Or it may ruin him.
13 Jamie Noon (Newcastle) - Facepalm
12 Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins) - Good call
11 Matt Banahan (Bath) *doublefacepalm* - Where is Strettle?
10 Andy Goode (Brive) - At least it's not Danny Brook
9 Danny Care (Harlequins) - Obvious choice
8 Nick Easter (Harlequins) - Does the job, but time isn't his friend any more. Time to develop Crane.
7 Lewis Moody (Leicester) - Penalty count... Hooooooooooooooooooo! *Where is Will Skinner?????*
6 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins) - HI-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! About time
5 Louis Deacon (Leicester) - I'll go with that
4 Steve Borthwick (Saracens, capt) - Facepalm
3 David Wilson (Newcastle) - Newcastle, synonimous with their 'distructive' scrum... *facepalm*
2 Dylan Harltey (Northampton) - Hurrah!
1 Tim Payne (Wasps) - Can think of worse.

Replacements:
16 Steve Thompson (Brive)- Hello 2004, how are you? Good to see you again! *facepalm*
17 Nick Wood (Gloucester) - Fair call
18 Chris Jones (Sale Sharks) - Looked good most of the season so far
19 Steffon Armitage (London Irish) - Would be a better starter then Moody
20 James Haskell (Wasps) - Oh dear god, why? He's ****!
21 Paul Hodgson (London Irish) - Yay! No Ellis!
22 Tom May (Newcastle) - Earned it with latter season form.

i would have had

12: Hipkiss
13: Armitage
15: Foden

i think Hipkiss, Vesty, Crane ect are getting deserved rest after their finals thats why i think they are not included in this fixture. Probably some Johnson bias in the selections (Goode, Moody) but i think hes getting a look at them during this match and seeing if they can bring anything to the following tests. I would have Steffon in for Moody and Crane in for Easter on form.

the Barbarians squad

Barbarians: 15 Ben Blair (Cardiff Blues & New Zealand), 14 Doug Howlett (Munster & New Zealand), 13 Josh Lewsey (London Wasps & England), 12 Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster & Ireland), 11 Iain Balshaw (Gloucester Rugby & England), 10 Glen Jackson (Saracens), 9 Justin Marshall (Saracens & New Zealand), 8 Rocky Elsom (Leinster & Australia), 7 Serge Betsen (London Wasps & France), 6 Jerry Collins (Toulon & New Zealand), 5 Chris Jack (Saracens & New Zealand), 4 Martin Corry (Leicester Tigers & England, captain), 3 Greg Somerville (Gloucester Rugby & New Zealand), 2 Schalk Brits (Stormers & South Africa), 1 Clarke Dermody (London Irish & New Zealand).

Replacements: 16 Sebastien Bruno (Sale Sharks & France), 17 B J Botha (Ulster & South Africa), 18 Paul ***o (Cardiff Blues), 19 Phil Waugh (Waratahs & Australia), 20 Chris Whitaker (Leinster & Australia), 21 Mike Catt (London Irish & England), 22 Ratu Nasiganiyavi (Waratahs).

Not a bad side at all. Could give that England tem a good game! Is it televised?

Balshaw, Marshall, Betsen & Collins?

:lol:

And aren't the BaaBaas all about flowing, fast rugby? So what the hell is Jackson doing there?

14 - 0 to the Baa Baa's presently.

The veterans making easy work of it so far.

Final Score

England 26 - 33 Barbarians

was a bad start for england but i thought Banahan and JTH had great games and looked good with ball in hand. May looked lively when he came on and i think Foden isnt a winger and he should be a fullback maybe move Armitage to outside center. Goode was poor apart from his chips which lead to the tries but any other fly half can do that. Brits was a beast i think he will cause a few problems in the premiership next season.

Really enjoyed this game. Elsom magnifecent, Brits outstanding, Collins still got it. D'arcy and Lewey very good in the centre. Hopefully they can give the Aussies a good game too.

lol at England and Johnsonn.

Haven't seen any yet, if I do I'll let you know, some of the Baa Baa's play was lovely on the eye, and England had no answer. I'm sure they were 33-5 up at one stage.

Latest posts