• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England v South Africa - 26/11/2022 - KO 4.30 GMT

Willis out,
Rodd and Tizard in

Presume it means Genge or Mako is a doubt

What has Willis done to deserve to be dropped? Guess itoje at 6...

Nowell still in is odd to me i just dont get it unless Freeman actually gets a chance. But i doubt it

I think Freeman might. If SA go to the kicking game I think he is bu far better than Nowell in the air.

Is a weird one, especially replacing him with a lock when we've already got a lock/6 hybrid in the side

6:2 bench?
Could see EJ going for:

Genge, LCD, Sinckler
Ribbans, Hill
Itoje, Curry, Vunipola
Youngs, Smith
May, Farrell, Tuilagi, Nowell
Steward

George, Mako, Stuart, Tizard, Coles, Simmonds, JvP, Slade

I'm still waiting for the genius plan of moving Farrell to 13 as Jones has to have him in the team somewhere and 12 just isn't working.

Really confused though that Jones rates Farrell so highly yet doesn't stick with him as his first choice 10. Manu, Slade or Porter can all play 12 in Eddie's mind so why not Farrell to 10.

Last edited:
Really confused though that Jones rates Farrell so highly yet doesn't stick with him as his first choice 12. Manu, Slade or Porter can all play 12 on Eddie's mind so why not Farrell to 10.
This is what I don't get as well - Smith doesn't fit EJ's gameplan, and has only really looked himself for England when the game was loosened up significantly and players are playing off of instinct
Farrell, Slade, Manu with Smith on the bench seems so much more to EJ's tastes but I don't think it's ever been tried - think Smith has started for all of his caps?

Farrell looks better at 10 than 12, Smith looks better without Farrell - seems a no brainer to alternate the two rather than hoping the combo suddenly becomes a world beater

Nowell still in is odd to me i just dont get it unless Freeman actually gets a chance. But i doubt it
Eddie Jones thinks Jack Willis is responsible for the clothing brand Jack Wills thats why he never starts him. Doesn't like fancy dans.

I reckon J Willis' international career is something like:

v Georgia - 46 mins
v Wal (R) - 20 mins

v Ita (R) - 6 mins (inj)

v Aus (R) - 16 mins
v Arg (R) - 5 mins
v NZ (R) - 16 mins

So something like 109 minutes across 6 caps and just the one start against Georgia. Injuries have played a big part, but that's a poor return for such a talent and while we think he's got what it takes at the top level we haven't seen enough to be sure.

Youngs no doubt to start. Feels like Eddie has learned the square root of f#ck all during this autumn campaign. Minus a couple of tweaks and form the pack is OK, Ribans has put his hand up, would like to have Tizard get a look, loads of potential and forming a club partnership with Itoje can't hurt the England set up.

Missed opportunity to have a look at least one new winger.

Agree with the general feeling of disappointment and not learning anything useful. Coles and Ribbans doing well is a bonus, but beyond that, this series has pretty much confirmed everything we already knew and don't like …

I have some hope for Freeman being involved. He did really well in Australia and if he'd been fit, I think he'd probably have been in the original squad. I get the feeling Eddie likes him so you never know. He usually likes one suggestion no-one was expecting - Freeman in would be a nice surprise for once.

Youngs no doubt to start. Feels like Eddie has learned the square root of f#ck all during this autumn campaign. Minus a couple of tweaks and form the pack is OK, Ribans has put his hand up, would like to have Tizard get a look, loads of potential and forming a club partnership with Itoje can't hurt the England set up.

Missed opportunity to have a look at least one new winger.
This, we walk out of these tests having learned basically nothing other than we have some potential locks in the wings, but that wasn't really a major issue to begin with and they certainly aren't going to displace the incumbents yet.

the best England looked was with ford and Farrell during the World Cup. Farrell really didn't play 12 as much as he just trailed the play and pretended to hit rucks. Maybe Eddie thinks he can recreate that with Smith/Farrell. The difference is that Smith is much more of a wild card and tries to create with his feet and not with different passing angles. This doesn't allow the always injured Farrell to follow the ball for an offload and pass to second level. Smith really needs a classic 12 to run with him.

Press saying Willis available, but not selected - Jones focusing on the lineout with Ribbans in the 2nd row and Itoje at 6 the likely combo. If that is the case then I wouldn't be surprised at a 6:2 bench and Tizard/Coles/Simmonds all involved

Mako carrying an injury which is why Rodd has been retained

Mako carrying an injury which is why Rodd has been retained
Usual caveat of I never want to see a player injured, but I'd infinitely rather see Rodd on the bench than Mako, and it's much better news than Genge potentially going down.

I'm taking my son to watch this game (his first england one) but does anyone know if you have to pay for 8 year olds on the underground (Euston to twickenham) website says under 15s go free but when booking tickets it has a charge for an 8 year old ticket?

Cheers.

I'm taking my son to watch this game (his first england one) but does anyone know if you have to pay for 8 year olds on the underground (Euston to twickenham) website says under 15s go free but when booking tickets it has a charge for an 8 year old ticket?

Cheers.

Think you have to have a photo card Oyster card and then set up a photo card web account. Could be wrong though so just need to read through above carefully.

the best England looked was with ford and Farrell during the World Cup. Farrell really didn't play 12 as much as he just trailed the play and pretended to hit rucks. Maybe Eddie thinks he can recreate that with Smith/Farrell. The difference is that Smith is much more of a wild card and tries to create with his feet and not with different passing angles. This doesn't allow the always injured Farrell to follow the ball for an offload and pass to second level. Smith really needs a classic 12 to run with him.
Not sure about "a classic 12" exactly, but I agree - england would be better off bringing manu in one, that would also hold defence off smith this helping with his running game. Beauden barrett combined with laumape at the hurricanes sort of thing. Slide at 13, Farrell on the bench.

Latest posts