• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England v South Africa - 26/11/2022 - KO 4.30 GMT

England was good before the World Cup. They were amazing during the World Cup up until the final. There was a definite jump in performance and even if a similar jump happened this time it only would give them a slim shot against france.
Worth pointing out, that it was a jump he explicitly told us to expect; with the drop in 2018 being a drop he specifically told us to expect, as the price to pay for a better performance in 2019.

But we all bitched and moaned because "it's just stuff Eddie says" and we assumed he was lying, because he's Eddie.
Even in retrospect, when we could see for ourselves that what he had said in advance made perfect sense for what we saw happening; we assumed he was lying and/or got lucky.

FTR, I'm still in the #EddieOut camp

I think its fair to say apart from that 5th place finish EJ got the last campaign about right. He got rid of Lancasters spare parts and built a pretty good team. They were probably a Sinckler injury and a severe case of butterfingers away from really competing for top honours.

The issue for this one has been is he's tried to keep that team together despite some players clearly being past it. Vunpolai, Tualangi, Farrell, Nowell and Youngs. And Manu aside they've looked that way for a while.

He's also suffering from the same old trick syndrome Ford/Farrell worked great for him but he's blamed Ford (rather than Youngs or Farrell) and bought in Smith and its not working because Ford wasn't the problem. Its also a style people are use to with England they been watching it for 7 years now. They now what coming and how to contain it.

The issue was not EJ 3 years ago its the fact he's still trying to prove with the same players he got it right back then.

See that's what I just don't get either. Jack is a big time carrier, he makes the hard yards aswell as in the open and he's a try scorer and obviously his breakdown threat.

Yet what's he had...10 mins over the whole series?
He is a better carrier than Lawes, itoje or Coles. For what it's worth Eddie went on record before his last injury claiming he was the best pick and go carrier in England. I think people focus on his break down work and forget he is big carrier.
As he should be at 6.3 and 17.5 stones. He just has that natural strong build.

Having billy out there forces the rest of the forwards to do more work cause billy has zero positive carries. Ball carrying no. 8's have a short shelf life and he is way past his prime. Thank him for his work but find another wrecking ball so everyone else can go back to their jobs.

Can have a really good go? With the players and resources we have we should be one of the ******* favourites, not having a good go and see where we get.

This whole Lancaster side thing annoys me, it wasn't Lancaster squad by the time it got to the RWC 2019.

Eddie benefited from really being the first coach to get that first wave of really talented young players from the increased funded academy system, more than inheriting Lancaster squad.

Saying Eddie inherited Lancaster's squad will be like saying who ever is next if they are successful it was because they inherited Eddie's where does it stop?

Eddie is clearly a very smart coach
Problem is he has the mind of a very very very stubborn troll.
Eddie has a very short shelf life. Troll is right - everyone who works with him ends up hating him.

No one wants him back in Aus.

Can have a really good go? With the players and resources we have we should be one of the ******* favourites, not having a good go and see where we get.
England coaches are often deluded. Look at Southgate who thinks England really controlled the game v the USA.

Having billy out there forces the rest of the forwards to do more work cause billy has zero positive carries. Ball carrying no. 8's have a short shelf life and he is way past his prime. Thank him for his work but find another wrecking ball so everyone else can go back to their jobs.
Or find an 8 who can do the hard yards and yet be a bit more subtle and creative also...but we don't have any of those...oh hang on...

He is totally squandering the most talented pool of players we've had since 03. Its criminal that the likes of J Willis, Slade, Marchant, B Curry, Lawrence, Radwan, OHC, Mercer (although self imposed for a year) aren't getting a fair go.
Then he has seemingly also managed to make the likes of Itoje, LCD, Curry and Genge lesser international players. Some achievement that

I've said for a while that Jones is like the schoolboy who has a girlfriend, but you don't know her because she goes to a different school.

Yesterday, he actually said it: "Results tell you everything and that is what we are judged by but I feel like there is growth in the team, which we have seen, but wasn't evident today."

The southafrican pack would destroy any england selection, not one of our props achieved parity,our locks under powered and our back row were tied in. You can't win test matches like that
Agreed not helped by the likes of OF hobbling around and missing sitters, it can't be particularly motivating, but no none of the pack managed to particularly front up, I am not entirely convinced England have the players that can gain real parity, I would however settle for a steady lineout and a scrum which didn't concede constant penalties or get marched back.

I am not entirely convinced England have the players that can gain real parity
Yeah, where are our big brutes? Our gameplan is to go out there and be the biggest meanest pack in the game, but we don't have the players for that - either in the EPS or in reserve,
Barbeary is the only one in realistic contention whose game is pure power based - but his body can't keep up with it,
Isiekwe would be an improvement on one of the two Saints lads,
Tizard ain't there yet, he's one for after the RWC realistically

It looks like our historical outside centre/number 8 conundrum, like we've got this idea of exactly what we want and we shoehorn players into it, rather than building around what we've got

Yeah, where are our big brutes? Our gameplan is to go out there and be the biggest meanest pack in the game, but we don't have the players for that - either in the EPS or in reserve,
Barbeary is the only one in realistic contention whose game is pure power based - but his body can't keep up with it,
Isiekwe would be an improvement on one of the two Saints lads,
Tizard ain't there yet, he's one for after the RWC realistically

It looks like our historical outside centre/number 8 conundrum, like we've got this idea of exactly what we want and we shoehorn players into it, rather than building around what we've got
Ted Hill is one.

I think Ollie Chessum can be a bigger version of Itoje...he's aggressive, incredibly mobile and just a menace. 6'8 and putting good weight on. If he can really dominate the lineout he's a good one . Just need to find our Etzebeth or Retalik to go with him...

4 ?? Who
5 Chessum
6 Ted Hill
7 Underhill /Curry/Willis/Earl
8 Dombrandt

George Martin still developing aswell...

Jones is yesterday's man and has been draining RFU coffers for years. Yes he had a good first year or so in charge but has been living off the back of a purple patch which happened to coincide with the last RWC and even then he got the final badly wrong. He's been a poor head coach for 2-3 years now.

One of his quotes after yesterday's game was 'we're not far off'. Not far off from being even more ****. The RFU need to find a head coach who has the cahones to drop Farrell from the squad who is and has not been good enough for test rugby for years. I note that there has been quite a turnover of his assistant coaches over the years but there is one common denominator who has managed to cling on. There must be at least 20 head coaches out there who would be an upgrade on Jones.

Very professional performance from the Boks who will take some stopping next year IMO. I can see them winning it if they can beat Ireland in the group stage and overcome France/ABs in the QF.

Last edited:
Jones is yesterday's man and has been draining RFU coffers for years. Yes he had a good first year or so in charge but has been living off the back of a purple patch which happened to coincide with the last RWC and even then he got the final badly wrong.
You see, I just don't see that, or even how the thought process comes around (apart from getting the final badly wrong)
He had a good first year in charge.
Then he had a good 2nd year in charge.
Then he told us that he was sacrificing his 3rd year, in order to peak in his 4th year - which is exactly what happened, hell the details of how he was going to sacrifice 2018 rang precisely true with how we played in 2018. I just can't write off "what he told us in advance came true" as "a purple patch which happened to coincide"...

Latest posts