• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England v South Africa - 26/11/2022 - KO 4.30 GMT

Im honestly getting to the stage i cant wait for Jones to f*^% off and bring someone in who will just look for a system and play the best and in form players in their right positions...and actually look like they have a clear direction of where they want to go.

Im honestly getting to the stage i cant wait for Jones to f*^% off and bring someone in who will just look for a system and play the best and in form players in their right positions...and actually look like they have a clear direction of where they want to go.
Jones has a clear direction, the fact we can't all keep up with his 10D chess is clearly our problem.

Jones just hates Wasps players (Former). Robson got shafted, Odogwu got shafted, Umaga got shafted slightly, Sam Jones got ruined ad Tom Willis and Launchbury never get picked. Odd.

Also in a separate note, i reckon a team of Marler, McGuigan, Cole, Launchbury, Martin, J Willis, Ben Earl, Tom Willis, Mitchell, M Smith/Atkinson, Lozoswki, Northmore, Murley, OHC, Daly -- Bench: West, Singleton, Heyes, Robinson/Stooke, Ludlham/T Hill, Care/Robson, Lawrence, Radwan

That team would run England XV extremely close.

Jones just hates Wasps players (Former). Robson got shafted, Odogwu got shafted, Umaga got shafted slightly, Sam Jones got ruined ad Tom Willis and Launchbury never get picked. Odd.

Also in a separate note, i reckon a team of Marler, McGuigan, Cole, Launchbury, Martin, J Willis, Ben Earl, Tom Willis, Mitchell, M Smith/Atkinson, Lozoswki, Northmore, Murley, OHC, Daly -- Bench: West, Singleton, Heyes, Robinson/Stooke, Ludlham/T Hill, Care/Robson, Lawrence, Radwan

That team would run England XV extremely close.
Robson, Odogwu and Umaga were never good enough.
Sam Jones had a really unfortunate, really severe injury.
Launchbury has 60 caps, which is quite a lot for someone who was never picked - more to the point, he was 4th of the big 4, and there's only room for 3 in a match-day squad.

Tom Willis, (and Joe Launchbury) play in positions of strength for England, you can realistically pick a maximum of 2 from BVuinipola, SSimmonds, Dombrandt, Mercer and TWillis; of those 5, only SS and ZM are realistic bench options.

Robson, Odogwu and Umaga were never good enough.
Sam Jones had a really unfortunate, really severe injury.
Launchbury has 60 caps, which is quite a lot for someone who was never picked - more to the point, he was 4th of the big 4, and there's only room for 3 in a match-day squad.

Tom Willis, (and Joe Launchbury) play in positions of strength for England, you can realistically pick a maximum of 2 from BVuinipola, SSimmonds, Dombrandt, Mercer and TWillis; of those 5, only SS and ZM are realistic bench options.
I dunno the fact that Willy Heinz and Lee Dixon got more time for England than Robson will always irritate me. Agree on Umaga, Odogwu too probably.
For me Launchbury would be still in England squad, agree that T Willis is in position of strength, just wish he was given a look on tour when Lions was one.

I don't think we can hold Eddie responsible for Dixon, who he's never even had in a wider squad.
I get the frustration with Eddie's SH picks, I really do (and have *****ed about it plenty). Neither Youngs nor Care should have had anywhere near as many caps as they have; but I don't think that Robson, or Simpson, or Spencer (who was always my preferred option) would have been an actual improvement, just differently compromised.

I personally would agree on Launchbury - I really like him as a lock, and would probably have had him above Kruis for that shirt - in retrospect, I'm pretty confident that I'd have been wrong to.

This is the one that's always annoyed/confused me - he just seems exactly the kind of 9 EJ wants/would do well with our gameplan but has never had a look in
Back in 2015, I was convinced he'd quickly take over from one of Youngs / Care, and knowing that he was a place-kicker, I put a tenner on him to score points in the RWC19 final (100 to 1 odds).
I expected him to be a regular, and probably the starter for 2019.

I got a tad excited when he was flown out to Japan.

I personally would agree on Launchbury - I really like him as a lock, and would probably have had him above Kruis for that shirt - in retrospect, I'm pretty confident that I'd have been wrong to.
Yeah, you would. But only just.

Launch was definitely discarded way too early. I figure that about as much as I did when he kept winning MoM for no apparent reason. Not a spectacular player but a properly heavy duty one that definitely improved most teams he played in, bit like Kruis. Probably dropped because of his beep test or shoulder to waist ratio or something.

Think the problem with Launchbury was that he was a little underpowered to be a tighthead lock and not exceptional in the air. Very good player but slightly hard to balance around.

Wasnt it Launchburys Lineout ability that was the real issue.

He says that but I imagine its more a case of them not knowing how many minutes mako has in him so play him until his injury is too much then bring on Genge, rather than run Genge into the ground bring on mako and risk him only lasting 5mins

He says that but I imagine its more a case of them not knowing how many minutes mako has in him so play him until his injury is too much then bring on Genge, rather than run Genge into the ground bring on mako and risk him only lasting 5mins
Or you know, how about play someone who's fit and doesn't just collapse as soon as someone starts pushing him?

Times saying that Jones is considering starting Mako and George, holding back Genge and LCD to counter the bomb squad.
And that's exactly what's happening. Coles at 6 and Freeman replacing Nowell on wing. JVP given another shot.

Mako starting is just sad! Props can be all action..fine...but the bottom line is they need to be able to scrummage! Its vital...and he just cant.

PS really happy to see Freeman in there though. Thats a big back 3...6'4 and 6'5

Latest posts